Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:08:17  Show Profile
I'm getting my male corn tommorow!!!! to join slash and zepplin!!! my snake breeder is coming over with various morphs for me to choose a suitable mate for my two girls!!!! i cant wait!

once ive got my new member of the gang i will post pics!! then january next year i can put him with the two girls and hopefully he inpregnates slash and zepplin!!! ooooooo im soo excited!!

quick question...once ive let him settle into his new home.. for at least a week would it be wise to let him meet slash and zepplin? or shall i just wait till mating time? thanks guys x

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:26:14  Show Profile
I'd wait untill you have adequate housing for eggs lol
snakes in captivity generally will breed any time of year if the chance arises

cant wait to see the new snakey! whos the breeder if you dont mind me askin?
n where abouts are you based?

Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  17:37:02  Show Profile
lol!!! yeah i was kinda thinking that too.. im going to be making my incubator so i will be making that as soon as possible for prep then i will let them meet! when there of age for breeding

ooo i cant wait either eeeee lol

erm his name is richard, basically i used to by my corns from a store down the road from me called "TSM pet stores' but the breeder/snakehandler that owns the store has stopped selling live stock. so when i went in there yesturday he gave me a number of a guy called richard who is also a experienced snake breeder, he breeds various types of snakes including corns, boas, pythons ect... so i gave him a ring and we had a chat.. hes going to sex them tommorow before he brings them all to me (to make sure their males lol) then bring them all for me to choose.

i live in ramsgate kent, but he is based in herne bay. :)

Edited by - MissSnakeHandler on 12/06/2012 22:33:33
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  18:05:20  Show Profile
Er just to let you know - females should be at least 3yrs, 300g and 3ft in length before breeding as it can be dangerous for them to lay eggs before then, so they will be too young this next January. That's assuming your sig does mean Slash is 1.6yrs old - or is it supposed to be 1 6yr-old corn? Not entirely sure what you mean by the 1.6 and 1.2!!

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  18:35:26  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address
You should quarantine a new snake when you get it so if he is bringing some to your house I would advise not taking them into the same room as your other snakes and either don't let him handle yours or insist that he washes his hands thoroughly before handling.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

a2c7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
320 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  18:57:24  Show Profile
Agreed with Donnie, I know you're excited but it would be a tragedy to lose all three snakes to something that could have been avoided.

Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  20:03:53  Show Profile
firstly to smart bunny... im not an amature when it comes to corns.. i know the ages snakes have to be for them to start breeding, thats why i asked the question. (should i introduce them or not.) wasnt sure wether they would try and breed before maturity. thanks anyway.

slash is 1 year 3 months and 3 and half foot long!! big girl! and zepplin is unknown as she was found in my brothers studio. but shes smaller than slash but shes just under 3 foot but abit slimmer than slash. so i guess she about a year by the size of her head and body..

and with donnie yeah i have the new snakes viv prepared in the bedroom for now, slash and zepplin are in the living room.. so alls well :D also before i buy any snake i always check scales,eyes, movement, tounge flicking and make sure i see a record of poos and shedding before i buy anyways. but thanks for the advice.. :)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  20:42:39  Show Profile
I'd be inclined not to breed from Zepplin, seeing as she was found in a Studio as opposed to bought with a history. You don't know what she carries, she could have problems with kinks in her bloodline, or even hold the gene for stargazer. Worse scenario, you come out with an entire clutch you'd have to put down.
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  21:06:29  Show Profile
seriously! lol zepplin was found in my brothers studio she escaped from one on the peoples vivs in that building. ive had her for 8 months , ive had her checked. she is fine lol

when i first got her she was very under weight but has put the weight back on and shes back to top health..
its okay i know what im doing, ive also had zepplin in the same viv with slash for 6 months now and they are both very happy , active feeding and digesting fine..never had problems
i started this thread because i was excited about getting a new member to my family. and simply asked the question wether i should let him meet the girls.. and since then apart from ashby steve .. all ive got is negative comments about what i shouldnt be doing. when i never asked them things and everything youve said i know. hense why i didnt make a thread asking them questions. i know you guys are only trying to help and i think highly of everyone here .. but cmon im friends with many snake handlers and breeder ive had advice for three years. and would appriciate just having the question in hand answered and not going off topic talking about the health of my snakes which there health is fine. i know how old they should be to breed i know as much as there needed to know to successfully look after snakes otherwise i wouldnt have brought slash a year and half ago. and started looking after snakes 3 years ago.

:(
Go to Top of Page

Rachel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:06:12  Show Profile
Don't think anyone was trying to offend you just offer advice. It's pretty hard to gauge tone in writing!
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:08:15  Show Profile
I don't think people have given you negative comments, they have given you advice based on what was written in your first post.
I am new to snake keeping and seldom give advice but from reading various posts on here I am well aware that corns can breed at a young age if put together and can result in the death of the female.
quote:
firstly to smart bunny... im not an amature when it comes to corns.. i know the ages snakes have to be for them to start breeding, thats why i asked the question.

quote:
lol!!! yeah i was kinda thinking that too.. im going to be making my incubator so i will be making that as soon as possible then i will let them meet!

You state that you are aware of what age snakes need to be to breed, but also state you will be making an incubator asap and then be letting your snakes meet, having informed us that they are only around 18 months old.
I understand you are excited about getting your new corn snake but by making these comments in your posts you are going to get what you have referred to as negative comments because people on here give advice from information provided in the posts.

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:14:45  Show Profile
respect everything you just said. but in my statement i said that i was going to try in january 2013 many breeders have told me if the snakes weight is right and size. you can breed sooner.

so i was simply asking if i could let them meet or would they try and mate before they reach maturity
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:18:53  Show Profile
quick answer. they don't need to meet before they're ready to breed as yes there is a chance they could still breed even if they're not mature enough to.

Edited by - kev 5 on 12/06/2012 22:19:27
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:20:01  Show Profile
think you need to read my first post again. and when i was talking to asby steve asap doesnt mean ill be making it tommoro and then makin them mate. mean when the time is right and the snake are ready only then will i be makin it.. just asap means being done before mating as a preparation.. jesus didnt think my thread would cause this much agro..

is there a way for the mods to delete this thread ?
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:20:35  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

quick answer. they don't need to meet before they're ready to breed as yes there is a chance they could still breed even if they're not mature enough to.

THANK YOU GOD!!! thanks kev :)
Go to Top of Page

Rachel
Hatchling

United Kingdom
169 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:25:35  Show Profile
Don't think anyone was trying to offend you just offer advice. It's pretty hard to gauge tone in writing!
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:27:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MissSnakeHandler

quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

THANK YOU GOD!!! thanks kev :)

your very welcome

Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:29:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Neidr

yes i agree , also people seemed to of misunderstood alot of what my first post said :S
so alot of confusion.
to me it just felt like people were getting annoyed with what i wrote as if i was that typical idiot that cant look after reptiles ya know.. them sort of people grind my gears, but i simply wanted to know what kev answered which its been answered now soo really want this thread deleted.. just annoys me reading it. lol

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:36:02  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by MissSnakeHandler

apart from ashby steve .. all ive got is negative comments about what i shouldnt be doing

I was only concerned for the health of your snakes as you stated "my snake breeder is coming over with various morphs for me to choose" and was just trying to make you think if this was such a good idea or not. Personally I would not have somebody bring unknown snakes into my house that could effect the well being of my collection.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

MissSnakeHandler
Hatchling

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:50:31  Show Profile
lol how the hell are they going to affect my snakes? haha what happens then when you take you snake to a local store to have them sexed theres loads of other reptiles in the same room.
slash and zepplin are not going to be anywhere near the other snakes.. and my breeder has been handling snakes for over 25 years so i dont think he would bring them round if he thought they posed a threat.
lol snakes dont pollute air! what do you think happens in the wild when they come into contact with other snakes?

but EVERYONE do not fear slash and zepplin are going to be safe in there viv when these other snakes come round securly in there boxes!!!
i am slightly insulted that you would think i would ever risk harming slash and zepplin.

biggest load of **** i have ever heard.

Mod edit: Think we need another cuss word to the naughty list!

Edited by - Sta~ple on 12/06/2012 23:38:21
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  23:02:54  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address
Why don't you say what you really mean?
So infections and diseases are not airborne then are they? Interesting I will let the people of the world know, they must have had it wrong for all this time. Did you read this post http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24265&whichpage=1 although it is a serious case, a risk that is not worth taking in my opinion.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000