New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  23:11:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two corn snakes to which as far as i was aware they were both girls, they live in the same house as i have always felt every animal is better with company..
Anyway, ive recently come back from university to discover my snakes have bred which im gutted about, what should i do to incubate the eggs? alot of friends want to buy the hatchings offme but im not exactly prepared for them! any advice?

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  23:18:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theres a sticky on here thats great, it shows you how to build your own incubator either that or when your snake lays the eggs freeze them
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  23:42:31  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How long ago are they believed to of locked togeather?

This is mentioned sticky

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17108

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  23:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not too ure, ive been at uni since easter and my boyfriend has been looking after them but he hasnt noticed any changes and hes not help them breed in any way :(
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  00:04:08  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately if they are cohabited an sexed wrong it can happen without assistance. There's a few things to point towards a gravid female. Lose of appetite, egg shaped lumps on her lower half, often the feel of lumps in her belly as she crawls over your hands.

What makes u think they have locked? Have u separated them now or not? If no u need to think about doing so so they can have there own space an u can monitor them. When a female is gravid you will get a pre lay shed. So if u do get a shed it could either just be there due anyway or its a pre lay one. This is the time u need to put in a laybox just in case an be ready to fire up an incubator to get temps ready.

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  22:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found the eggs about an hour after because i came home and said hello to them and then came upstairs a few hours later and boom! eggs! haha. yes ive moved him out of the tank because i dont want to cause her any stress, ive got an incubator for the eggs but a few have died because they look yellow and small and a bit stinky. the eggs seem to be doing ok now!
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2012 :  23:41:29  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
This is how ive made my incubator

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21630&SearchTerms=how,i,made,my,incubator

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

clodove-xx
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  12:50:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah thats similar to mine haha! thankyou
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  16:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What makes u think they have locked?

Hee hee, eggs are a pretty good indication

On a serious note though, females can actually lay infertile eggs even if they've had no contact with a male, so it is still possible that you have 2 females and just one has laid 'slugs' (infertile eggs). I would assume they are fertile and try to incubate them as this is more likely, in which case all the best and I hope you have some hatchlings in a few weeks!!

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  18:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clodove-xx

I have two corn snakes to which as far as i was aware they were both girls, they live in the same house as i have always felt every animal is better with company..

So you know, that is not the case.
There are tonnes of animals that are solitary animals, corn snakes are one of them.
They dont need company, they get no pleasure out of it and they do not get attached to each other. Only during breeding season do they need another corn snake.
In fact, it is more likely to cause a problem than to make the snake 'happy'. There is the chance of one being stressed if it feels dominated by the other. competition over hides and the best temperature spot etc. and stress while feeding.

Im not telling you to split your snakes up as it is your decision, but be careful not to personify them or think that they have emotional needs.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  20:17:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There are tonnes of animals that are solitary animals, corn snakes are one of them.
They dont need company, they get no pleasure out of it and they do not get attached to each other. Only during breeding season do they need another corn snake.
In fact, it is more likely to cause a problem than to make the snake 'happy'. There is the chance of one being stressed if it feels dominated by the other. competition over hides and the best temperature spot etc. and stress while feeding.

Im not telling you to split your snakes up as it is your decision, but be careful not to personify them or think that they have emotional needs.

The words "thats not what she asked" come to mind...

Go to Top of Page

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  20:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

quote:

The words "thats not what she asked" come to mind...

and this adds to the thread how exactly?

ADMIN NOTE: This thread does not turn into a cohabbing debate we have enough of them already.

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:20:02  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is a thread about incubators please keep it that way. If any wants to read about viv sharing look here

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1070

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  09:59:44  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be hontest, unless you know what morphs the snakes could possibly be when they hatch I would't bother incubating. I know you said your friends would like some but were they just talking or were they serious, and would you be prepared for all the eggs to hatch and be able to house them incase your friends said no and any petshops didn't want them. I'd pop them in the freezer for a day or 2 then bin. So many normals out there and other common morphs which people just cannot or finding near impossible to shift, even the amazing breeders some years and them having good hets seem to have some trouble. If your corn did lay fertile eggs, doesn't mean you have to incubate and hatch them that's all. Though that said, if you have set them up in an incubator or kept them in the snake viv or something for a couple of days, it maybe a bit late to do that now. How many eggs did she lay?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  19:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Woahh sorry guys... i just thought id point it out :S

wasnt trying to be nasty or anything... I just thought she deserved to know :(

I wasnt trying to start a cohab debate, infact i said that i WASNT telling her to split them up, Id just rather tell people they're wrong when they think its better for the emotional needs of the snake.......

And no, its not what they asked, but i felt it was important to mention.
And ive had abrupt and harsh messages off ashby steve before... seems a little unnecessary.

Sorry if I offended anyone or sparked any debates, wasn't my intention.

MOD EDIT: we've had it in the past where threads like this have ended up turning into heated debates over who does it an who doesn't an what's right an wrong. So we would rather nip it in the budd now than end up locking or deleting the thread an comments.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Edited by - a33272 on 09/06/2012 19:44:53
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page