making my beer fridge incubator.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  00:06:10  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Firstly the most important part, get a qualified engineer to degas the fridge for you. (in all honesty i put on some protective overalls i had from work and goggles face mask and gloves and used my cable cutters to slightly cut into the pipe going inside the actual fridge and left it for 4/5 hours to let the gas out. But i strongly recommed not to do this for two reason 1 you have to make sure u are completely covered up and 2 its harmful to the enviroment.)

Next i cut the pipe fully ( still wearing the protective clothing) and removed the plate inside the fridge. Then i unscrewed the plate the gas chamber Was fixed on to.

Now its time to start put the heat mats . In the back corner where the pipe came inside the fridge there is now a hole big enough to pull the stat sensor cable thru and the heat mat cables. Firstly poke the stat sensor thru first. Then de-wire the plugs on the heat
mats and poke the thru. I choose to also put a led strip light in there aswell. I have stuck the heat mats to the sides with a glue gun. i also stuck the the habistat to the side with the glue gun aswell. With a double surface socket box stuck where the gas chamber used to be use the flexi cable that come on the fridge connect a double socket on and that gives u ur switch for the light. I will upload a few pics of the cables tomoz but heres the finish products.

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  07:18:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
looks good mate

Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  18:19:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mmmmm warm alcohol ftw! :P

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  19:33:28  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ashby_steve

mmmmm warm alcohol ftw! :P

Lol

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:11:18  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What's it like with the temps using the mats in there?

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:18:58  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At the bottom it reads 80.3°f at the top it reads 84.6°f so im gonna by a pc fan and see if that helps. Is there another way to do it then

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Doogle
Yearling

United Kingdom
617 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  20:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Doogle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Marc, MMMmm! Stella! LOl

I also use a mini drinks fridge for a incubator! I find that its better if you put the heat mats on the ceiling! Then put the Tubs with eggs near the bottom of the fridge and take the middle shelf out!

It will be slightly differft temp from the bottom to the middle but only by a degree or so! I use a couple of empty tubs on the bottom to act as a shelf! If you have a load of eggs going in i just shuffle them around every 2 weeks so their all get an average temp!

I have a fan in mine but to be honest i found the temp was more stable without it so not used it for the two year of using it!

Also remember when you use the light in there even if its low wattage it will alter the temp a little so keep an eye on it!

Other than that they are a great incubator! My was set at 27.5 or there abouts and all mine hatched without a problem around 70 days!

Hope this helps?

Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  21:31:47  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The lights ive used in an led strip so it shouldnt creat any heat and its only gonna be on when i wanna look in there without opening the door. I think ill leave the fan then sounds like more hasslr then needed. And the stella bit. Just wanna say i actually dont drink lol. But the stella sign on the door is in the double glazing so i cnt actually tank it out lol

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  21:32:33  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh sorry forgot to say thank you jamie for that info much appreciated

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000