Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  12:02:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed for you and hope things go well at the vets and your collection is ok

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:36:22  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
unfortunately buttons didnt make it through the nite :( not happy
does any one have any info on ibd and corn snakes?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
really sorry to hear this, RIP little one.
not read anything about IBD that mentions corn snakes only boas an pythons.
would be a good idea to scrub an disenfect all your vivs an reptile stuff to be on the safe side

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:52:08  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear this I hope everything is ok with the rest of your collection

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Figs
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3319 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RIP Buttons So sorry

Not sure if theres a test for IBD, but if there is it may be worth taking your boas just to be safe
Go to Top of Page

Sleeper341
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:56:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry :(

There is a really good page about IBD here: http://www.reptileforums.net/forums/showthread.php?40326-ibd-inclusion-body-disease

It says as soon as you see symptoms it is too late and terminal and euthanasia is recommended :(

Highly contagious too so be really careful.

I also found this quote from the link below where another owner has had IDB:

"There is a chance every single one of my snakes have IBD, and there is a chance that none of them do. But the fact is I have to treat them as infected individuals because you cannot test conclusively for IBD on a live animal without a positive result for inclusions either in the blood or through organ biopsies which are invasive, painful and extremely expensive. A positive result is definitive, but a negative result in a live animal does not mean it is free from IBD. I have had blood tests done on 3 of my other boas and all of them are negative. However this does not mean they don’t still carry the disease. " From here: http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/snakes/360818-my-experience-inclusion-body-disease.html

1.1.0 cats (Lavender and Bertie)
1.1.0 Corns (Cyrus, Pewter and Daenerys, Caramel)

Edited by - Sleeper341 on 01/06/2012 15:06:38
Go to Top of Page

chrisc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  14:56:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as far as i know they can only test for it by doing a PM or possibly from taking a tissue sample

1.0.0 baird's rat snake, jeff 1.0.0 royal, derek 1.0.0 royal, frank 0.1.0 dog jenny 1.0.0 bull snake, ivan 0.1.0 bull snake, mavis 0.1.0 chilean rose, Bernadette 1.0.0 hognose, chuck 1.0.0 BCI, william

my youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/pegrocks
facebook(mention the forum) http://www.facebook.com/?sk=nf#!/profile.php?id=623879643

to live is so startling it leaves little time for anything else
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  15:43:59  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On the Melissa Kaplan reference to IBD, it states that there is a blood test available. (FAQ at the bottom of the page.)

Link: http://www.anapsid.org/ibd.html

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  18:25:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so sorry. i found this earler if its any use?: http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases/Inclusion_Body_Disease

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  21:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh no i am so sorry

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  22:39:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww I'm sorry about that, IBD is very very quickly debilitating and fatal to a Royal and its probably for the best the suffering wasn't prolonged. For now you will have to treat your whole collection as infected, your Boas are the ones at risk I think though dont quote me on it that corn snakes can't get IBD it infects only Boids, they may be able to carry the disease though, I'm not 100% on that.

As to the possible source, if your Royal has been with you more than a few months then its likely it was not infected when you got it due to the way it very quickly will prove fatal within a number of weeks. Unfortunately this points the source to another one of your Boids. I think I remember something about mites been a possible transmitter of the disease and I recall you saying you had to deal with an outbreak of them.

I just cant imagine what you are going through right now, it really is the worse case scenario for Boid keepers.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:37:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry :(
Hope the rest of your collection is ok

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:20:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no,what an awful thing to have happened and to be going through Fingers crossed for you and the rest of your collection.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  11:33:34  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
poor little dude/dudette sorry for your loss xx RIP little one

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  20:21:21  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
so ive gone through nearly 2 bottles of cascade today making sure every thing is clean
will cascade dissinfect ibd?
if not any other suggestions?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  20:26:22  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i've heard f10 is pretty powerful stuff

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that, it does sound very much like IBD. Despite what was said, IBD cannot be tested for properly in a live snake without causing massive distress and being extremely expensive. Blood tests are not good enough. The reason that is the case is because when you test for something, you test for something specific, there isnt a test that tests for everything then at the end says its 'XYZ', the problem there is that no one knows yet what to look for with IBD, so it may show in a test, but unless they know what to look for, it gets overlooked.
The data that is collected from the blood test, and i think it was Peter Kahl who tried testing for it originally, is not conclusive at all, it does say something is going on, but it doesnt say what, so a positive result in the blood just means there is an infection, it could be anything.
To conclusively test for IBD in any animal requires biopsies from the brain and spinal nerve tissue, that would be fatal for a live snake.

The other problem, IBD is stupidly infectious, it is able to spread by contact (us and each other), it can be spread by mites, and it is also airbourne, which is bad, it means that it can carry quite a long way, and has been proven to travel an entire house, even when snakes are separated upstairs and downstairs.
IBD can infect other snakes, including corns kings and milks, and other ratsnakes, the symptoms are very similar, and the end result is always the same. there is no cure. I am pretty sure IBD is a retro virus, its very hard to kill, i to think F10 would be amongst the top bug killers.

THe other thing, you must not sell any animals to anyone, you cannot know 100% that your animals arent carriers, and if you sell any animal you could risk another persons entire collection, you are between a rock and a hard place now, you cannot sensibly buy anymore animals (reps), you cannot sell any either. You have two choices really, euthanise your collection, or stick with just them until they die off. Sounds harsh i know, but thats the reality of IBD.
The reason why you should always have a PM done with suspected IBD is because you need to know, IBD isnt the most common disease, and there are a few others that mimic it, and something else that does is severe dehydration. So, there is a higher chance that it is not IBD, but you have to be sure, otherwise the below really does apply to you.

Ibd is a serious threat to everyone, you could potentially carry the disease yourself into another persons collection, which wouldnt be good.
If you havent already, DO NOT freeze the snake, but her in the fridge and have a PM done asap, you need to know.

Edited by - mikerichards on 03/06/2012 18:45:33
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:55:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lupi lou

so sorry. i found this earler if its any use?: http://www.boa-constrictors.com/en/Interesting_facts_about_Boa_constrictor/Boa_constrictor_Care/diseases/Inclusion_Body_Disease

Thats a really good read.

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  10:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry for your loss

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  09:56:45  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info mikeR, what type of time scale would i be looking at to know if my collection is 'all clear' and/or infected?

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page