Once hatched?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so due to my own stupid 5 mins mistake it looks like I'm about to have eggs ( fingers crossed tabs is ok) I know about homemade incubators and have the stuff ready to put in together next week. My question is once theft have hatched should I separate them out in to smaller boxes straight away? And what should I bed them on once hatched? I know to hold off feeding until the first shed.

Thank you

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:39:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i seperate my hatchlings into cricket tubs and use kitchen towel. also a small hide (cut up toilet roll tube). i use a milk bottle tops for water bowls.

Edited by - kev 5 on 31/05/2012 19:40:27
Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same as above, although bottle tops get turned over *very* easily, which then soaks the paper. The other day I was in Poundland buying more takeaway containers and I came across these tiny metal chutney pots, just heavy enough not to get tipped, but small enough to fit in a wee tub- £1 (obviously) for 8

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SexyBear77

Same as above, although bottle tops get turned over *very* easily, which then soaks the paper. The other day I was in Poundland buying more takeaway containers and I came across these tiny metal chutney pots, just heavy enough not to get tipped, but small enough to fit in a wee tub- £1 (obviously) for 8

might have to try them

Go to Top of Page

SexyBear77
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3796 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

quote:

might have to try them

They are very good, switched all mine over to them the other day, not had a spillage yet!

9.11 Cornsnakes
1.1 Hogg island boas
1.0 Dwarf Burmese python

Website- http://rassnakes.yolasite.com/
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by kev 5

quote:

might have to try them

They are very good, switched all mine over to them the other day, not
had a spillage yet!

will get some tomorrow, got 28 eggs due to hatch and my last 16 hatchlings threw their bottle tops everywhere. thanks

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  19:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fantastic thank you guys, knew people could help me out. Now just fingers crossed that tabs is ok

Three corns, a dog, a cat, 2 kids and a future husband, Yes its a MAD HOUSE in leicester area.
Go to Top of Page

ShortCircuit23
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  20:40:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How old is the mum-to-be? When my butter corn was little i had her in with 2 other snakes, woke up one morning and my aztec carolina had her in taillock, my reaction 'so i guess she's a she and he's a he'. The butter corn, Sahara, laid all healthy eggs and they all hatched and she gained her weight back really quickly. She is now about to lay eggs again 3 years later

Own: 13 Corn Snakes, 2 Beardies, 2 Leopard Geckos, 2 Redfoot Tortoises, 2 Leopard Tortoises, 2 Indian Star Tortoises, 1 Ackie, Anoles, 4 Cats, 2 Dogs.

Have kept: Many other corn snakes, Blue Beauty Snake, 3 Royal Pythons, 2 chameleons, Golden Skinks, Red-Eyed Croc Skinks.

Looked after: Royal Python, B+W Tegu.

For Sale: 2 Hermann Tortoises, 1 Snow Stripe Corn, 4 Lavender Stripe Corns
Go to Top of Page

Isoldael
Yearling

Netherlands
999 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2012 :  23:05:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I just glued the bottle caps to the chinese food boxes I keep them in :p

1.0 anery stripe (Nash)
1.0 hypo pewter (Loki)
1.0 bloodred het amel, charcoal, hypo, stripe 50% phet anery, lavender (Kasumi)
0.1 grey background normal het amel (Saphira)
0.1 tessera het amel, anery, stripe (Lilith)
0.1 amel (Aurora)
0.1 hypo bloodred het anery, charcoal, stripe 50% phet amel, lavender (Mara)
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  00:04:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sorta did what Isoldael did for my tiny butter, as he's still so tiny he drinks from a milk bottole top. But instead, I glued it on top of his hide lol! Not too helpful if you're dealing with hatchies though, unless you are using hides.
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  02:51:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive blutacked my bottle tops to the tubs lol
and i use cut up toilet roll tubes for hides too :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

Go to Top of Page

cattNmo
Hatchling

182 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  17:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She is almost 2. But is small. I keep looking at her and still can't make my mind up for sure that she is or not. so prepping just in case. Got tubs and boxes at Lunch time and have a supply of loo rolls. Was always planning to breed her once the right age so at least I have every thing ready.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  23:34:02  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
be careful with cricket tubs, they aren't the most secure things for keeping hatchies in. I've lost a few to those things.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  23:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i would also prep for the worst if she is small for a nearly 2 year old, i hope all goes well x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  08:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

be careful with cricket tubs, they aren't the most secure things for keeping hatchies in. I've lost a few to those things.

there is one corner with a slit, they learn this corner doesn't clip down as tightly as the rest. i put an elastic band around that end of the tub

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000