Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  16:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
breed a corn with a milk snake?

Going to the IHS show in a couple of weeks and I had my mind set on getting another 'ready to breed' female corn for next years breeding season, but ive been thinking id quite like a different type of snake.

Is it hard to breed milk x corns?
and does it make any difference if its a female milk and male corn or?

quite like the idea of breeding hybrids, and seen as I have two pet shops fighting over my hatchlings, i could do with another clutch next year!

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)
1 very needy staffy (Coco)

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  16:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been reading into it and im not sure its a good idea.
I was looking for another female to live with my current female (her viv is HUGE!)
Dont think housing a corn and a milk snake together would be smart.

Might just have to look for a lovely new female corn instead.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2012 :  23:17:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Housing two corn snakes might not be considered "smart" either you might want to have a read of the cohabitating threads before you make your mind up Breeding hybrids is never a good they are nearly always impossible to sell hybrids will not fetch much at all youd be better off investing in a couple of nice corns wait for them to mature than try your hand at breeding that way

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  01:46:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From reading your other threads it seems you are about as new to this breeding stuff as i am
maybe leave the advanced stuff until you've had a few good corn clutches at least?
that'd be my advice anyway

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  08:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that, but thats not really what I asked.

Its each to their own whether they want to breed their pets. And how else is there to learn other than reading everything you can, and actually doing it?
I get where you are coming from, and im not trying to sound offensive or anything cos you're entitled to say what you think, but id rather you answer my question than tell me i shouldnt be doing something.

like i say, no offence intended, i know posts like this can sound nasty when you cant hear the tone lol, but im just saying that i learned pretty much as much as i can know about corn eggs, the only way to learn more is to have more clutches.

oh, and Paulie, believe me ive read through almost every thread on this forum ;) infact ive had a few debates about cohabbing.
My opinion is that it is okay with same sex snakes and as long as there are loads hides for them to choose between on warm and cool sides, so they dont have to 'compete' for the same one (or just lay tangled up in each other lol)
Thanks for the advice though.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  08:13:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh and as long as they are adults!
dont agree with cohabbing hatchlings seen as there is the chance of cannibalism

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  08:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agree!! with both your posts Qv

Edited by - kev 5 on 03/06/2012 13:19:41
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  09:46:59  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I personally wiuldnt breed anythung unless I gathered intrest before hand because of how saturated the market is/what people actually want. I love some hybrids, they are very pretty the ones that have a kind of long line of breeding hybrids with more hybrid, other ones are just meh.

Cohabbing any snakes is risky, and milks need different hot end temps so that makes them living together out of the question, plus with milks general natures it wouldnt be fair to them. Milks are from the same familly as kings, often when talking about kings and milks they are overall labelled as kingsnakes, they share traits loving to eat other snakes and it ebing their main deit in the wild is one of them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  11:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my advice was simply to get good at walking before you try to learn to run.
Breeding hybrids isn't just bunging two snakes in a viv and letting them do their thing.

best of luck anyway if you do try it

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  12:58:52  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i think corn x milk make the nicest looking corn hybrids, and I will say if its what you want to do then read up, research, talk to other hybrid breeders, then go for it.

There is a forum especially for hybrid snakes at http://www.hybridhaven.net that will be a good help.

(sorry for posting another forum, but its relevant to the topic and may help QV to do things correctly)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  15:39:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats why i posted this thread ;)
to gather info lol. I wouldnt do anything without doing the appropriate research.

But like my post said, I wanted a female to live with my current female.
So im not really thinking about a milk snake anymore.

Its worth having a read up though, cheers Eeji, cos it might be something Id do in the future.

And Ashby, I know where you are coming from, but even though i've only had 2 clutches so far, I'd say im far from a noob.
And like i say, the only way to get experience is to actually do it, so do it I shall.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  15:52:48  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just as another consideration, be very careful when purchasing a female. For one thing it would need to be quarantined before being housed with your existing female. And another thing, many people have been caught out by purchasing mis-sexed or mis-sold females. You could put it in with your existing female and find out it is actually a male thus scuppering your years breeding plans.
Another thought I had too is that when it comes to the time your females are gravid they may be stressed by having another snake in close vicinity.

I agree the milk x corns are very very pretty. I do worry about the amount of hybrids possibly contaminating pure breeding lines, eg; in the case of creamsicles being sold as amels, however as long as the buyers understand what a hybrid is and what they are getting then i think it could be an interesting project if you do decide to go for it in the future.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:03:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
milk and corns housed is outta the question.

agree make sure is a proven female if you are cohabing.
you will need to quarantine for 3 months in a seperate viv and room before introducing.
when they are gravid they will need to be seperated anyway.
and you run th risk of them not getting on anyway.
so all in all your best off keeping them seperate all the time :)

as for the hybrid thing, theres ums and ahh all over the show when it comes to hybrids.

i do not see anything wrong as long as theres a reason for it and your not just doing for the hell of it, if that makes sense, a bit like breeding two different breeds of dogs, some are good and others not, but some people prefer pure breeds and other dont x

good luck either way :)

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers, and yeah I have considered the quarantine factor, I'll be keeping her in a temp faun when i get her for a few months. How long would you recommend for quarantine, to make sure?

And I know, I'll be going to IHS to get her though, so i'd have thought they would be fairly reliable. If i'm unsure ill ask them to probe her before i buy her.

Are most of the stalls at IHS reliable?

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can never be 100 percent sure unless she has been bred :) i think 3 months is the usual time to quarantine.

can i ask, why you are want to keep them together?

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:16:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
because i already have a massive viv, and now i live back with my parents i have restricted room for snakes.
If i still had my own place i would probably get an extra viv, but I dont have any problem with cohabbing same sex, like i said above.
just my opinion.

And you can be sure if an experienced reptile breeder probes her, or knew from her being a hatchling.

And thanks for the advice on quarantine.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  16:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
probng isnt 100 percent accurate who ever does it x

Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  17:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see. Well ill just have to cross my fingers then lol. Or see if i can get one thats known to have been bred.

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  17:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just wondering if you have a large viv is a partion an option?

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

QueenVic
Yearling

United Kingdom
849 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  19:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tried making a make-shift divider once but Espher always ended up in Silvers side and i couldnt figure out how lol, didnt seem to be a way through that i could find, Houdini snake! lol

I think im going to give that a thought though, getting a properly fitted one, but ive thought about just blagging my parents to let me get two slightly smaller vivs instead of the big one. theyre developing quite an attachment to the snakes lol, so if i tell them itd be better for their health if they were separate they shouldnt have a problem with it.

It may just be that after the quarantine period the two females may co hab for a few months til they get sorted.
You're right i dont really want them cohabbing while they are both gravid, dont want to cause any more stress than can be helped.

Thanks for all the advice guys :)

0.1.0 Normal (Espher)
1.0.0 Snow (Midnight)

2 GALS
1 rat (Jasper)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2012 :  22:30:21  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you not got room for a stack of vivs hun? You could have Espher, Silver and the new one stacked on top of each other which would only take the space of a single 3ft viv. Just thinking if you can avoid the stress of keep moving them to and fro vivs and if you are going to have to have a temporary seperate set-up anyway for quarantine and breeding time then you may as well keep them seperate from the start.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000