Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Sleeper341
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:19:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I'm new here and new to snakes!

I am looking to get a couple of corn snakes but have a question before I buy them.

I have 2 cats and am wondering if i need to make sure the vivs are in a room where the cats can't go? I have visions of my cats laying staring at the vivs all day waiting for a glimpse of the snakes which i pressume would cause undue stress to the snakes if they know a predator is sitting the other side of the glass.

I'm sure some of you snake owners out there have cats too so perhaps you can tell me how they/you cope. Do the cats even care that the snakes are there?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

1.1.0 cats (Lavender and Bertie)
1.1.0 Corns (Cyrus, Pewter and Daenerys, Caramel)

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:21:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi there

my cat doesnt really care when sonnys in the faun, but i make sure hes out of the room when i feed or handle sonny

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx

Edited by - ScalySituation on 23/05/2012 10:21:41
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:27:31  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi there. I have 2 cats. One of which is the biggest fattest laziest house cat in the world. Hes not fussed about the snakes and leaves them be. When handling snakes etc I can leave him in the same room as me as he just sleeps 24/7 lol.

Our other cat however...thats a different kettle of fish. She has to be removed from the room when Im doing snake related things as she will tray and attack them. Shes very full of life constantly and full of trouble 24/7 though. Just depends on what your cats are like.

All my reps are in my livingroom in vivs and rubs. The crazy cat has a thing about thermostat probs and is constantly trying to pull them from under the rubs. I use a spray bottle and skoosh her when shes looking like mischief. It does the cat no harm (stating that as im sure someone on here once said that was cruel to skoosh them with water lol).

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sleeper341
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies :) I guessed it would probably come down to the cats personalities. I can make sure they are out of the room when it's feeding time and see how it goes while they are in their viv/faun (just out of interest what is a Rub?)

Where is the best place to buy from? I've been looking at these in P@H but would i be better off buying from a breeder as opposed to a chain store? If so, can anyone recommend someone - I'm in Sussex but am prepared to travel to buy the right snake.

Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:38:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also have two cats! Indy spends a lot of time outside and isn't really interested in Jake in the slightest even when he's out and about. However, Hendrix is a bit more excitable! When Jake had a smaller viv she used to sit next to the tank and watch him. She can't now as there is no space next to the viv! She get's really excited when he comes out and tries to rub herself all over him so I think it's more love. In the past she has knocked my hamster cage of the side and set both of my hammies free! She didn't do it viciously as all she does is try and rub herself against them! I guess you won't know what your cats are like with the snakes until you actually get them. I'm sure the cats will be fine though :)

Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:42:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 2 cats too, and wouldn't trust them for a minute! Our snakes are kept in my daughter's bedroom, and although the cats aren't allowed upstairs 'Maddie' makes a break for it past Husband's legs every morning without fail! She runs to every room to say hello to people, then into Niamh's room where she becomes obsessed by the snakes, and the biggest Voldemort just winds her up and deliberately slithers up the glass to annoy her lol.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  10:42:56  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would look into a breeder. Much better than a store. Price wise and also info wise. The breeder will more than likely keep in contact with you should you have any probs etc and they will know the snake better than P@H will.

RUBS are really useful boxes. I use them until the snake is big enough for its adult home. Just upgrade the size as you need to
http://www.ryman.co.uk/really-useful?extcam=ppc_goo_2000002015_se

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  11:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have two cats, and glass top vivs, if I'm not in, the cats will sleep ontop of the vivs. Neither of the snakes are bothered :) one gets super interested when they are out but he gets told where to go lol x depends on the snake and the cats x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Tasha89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  12:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey,

I have a cat and if he is in my room he will sit in front of the tank waiting for some movement, however my snakes do not seemed fussed about it. i do have to remove him from the room when im not in there as one day i have my big corn out with him around and the cat came close and Lucifer bit him on the chin (nothing serious my cat didnt hardly flinch). However since this incident i think my cat has a vendetta against them and thinks they are toys to play with lol.

Tasha
______
4.0.0 - Corns - Hypo-Lavender (Lucifer), Bubblegum Snow (Houdini), Striped Carolina (Sarafino) and Black Cat (Ralphie)
0.2.0 - Corns - Anertheristic (Valentina), Lavender (Aiyana), Lavender (Di-nixi)
Go to Top of Page

Sleeper341
Hatchling

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  13:38:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oooh i like the RUBs! More dumb questions now :)

at what length should they be put in to 'adult homes' as you put it? and what size rub do you recommend (the ones with the high sides or the flatter ones if you know what i mean)? also the RUBs seem to be opaque so you can't see whats inside do they do clear ones? sorry about the newbie questions, but if i'm going to get a snake i want to make sure i look after it properly.

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  13:41:27  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
This is the one my snakey will be going into asap, its all built lo, it just needs sealing and decorating. he's about 1.5 foot. http://www.seapets.co.uk/products/reptile-supplies/reptile-terrariums/vivexotic-vivariums/vivexotic-vivariums-lx-models/vivexotic-lx36-vivarium-tobbaco-walnut-91-5x37-5x40-5cm.html i believe it will do him forever

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x

Edited by - ScalySituation on 23/05/2012 13:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  14:04:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mamma, I would love to see what you fat-cat looks like! Ahahaha

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  14:16:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my cats is fine to be in my room alone, where all the snakes are, my sisters cat however has to be kept out. He's got a track record of pulling/pushing tubs/fauns off, and the final straw was when he threw the tub my tinybutter is in across the room. I also kick both of them out when handling/cleaning/feeding because they go into stupid mode.

Snakes themselves don't give a monkeys lol!
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  15:02:57  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I keep my snake in the bedroom and shut my cat out of it when we arent there. When we are there we leave the bedroom door open and unless lilith is up at the glass our cat kinda doesnt notice her.

My cat is a savage, well trained killing machine (an indoor one at that). She stares through the glass alot, and when Lilith was in her faun, she oftern tapped and chased her round around it when she was exploring. This seems to have stopped now she is in a wooden viv. You'll be fine.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  16:12:50  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have 2 cats too lol my two arent bothered at all by the snakes on lil bit in fact Hades and my royal shadow are best friends Hades will rub and lick him if hes on my lap (though to be fair hades is kinda wired up wrong lol) i can trust my cats with any of my animals implicitly however that doesnt mean im complacent id never leave them alone unatended

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  17:14:08  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corns7

Mamma, I would love to see what you fat-cat looks like! Ahahaha

His name is Elvis....kinda lives up to his name...he was born september 2010...so hes not even 2 yet haha

check the belly hanging... hes currently on a diet lol

and this is psycho cat:

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  17:20:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they are beutiful, she does look a bit psyco lol, as for spraying with water thats nicer than a boot up the backside :-)

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  18:34:28  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
aww mikimoomoo is really pretty :) (did i get her name right?? :P)

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  18:45:14  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My Tallulah is on a diet..... doesnt seem to work...

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  19:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow, he's huge! Psyco cat looks very alert lol!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  21:17:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of my cats doesn't care, the others though I have to boot them clear of the vivs, they aren't meant to be in my room, they know they aren't meat to be in my room so the get my foot. One of my snakes goes frantic and strikes the glass with force when cats walk past, it got quite bad that I had to move him high up.

Mamma, I skoosh mine with water, hell if they are annoying me so much I get the jug out.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000