Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  14:05:26  Show Profile
Does anyone know if these guys are still trading.
Tried the phone number listed but no luck just comes up with number not reckonised.

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  19:21:19  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address
yeh they are, when i went in a few weeks ago i wasnt that impressed, there was many a poop and bits of old shed in the enclosures and a lot of the water bowls were going mouldy :(

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  19:59:43  Show Profile
Thanks still can't find a number for them saves a wasted trip if there gone.
Shame the tanks were dirty etc heard that they were a really good reptile shop.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  20:09:12  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address
I was pretty dissapointed with them, as my nan took me into warminster mainly to go to there

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  15:53:18  Show Profile
I went to DPS today really really disappointed I found the same as scaly situation, mouldy water dishes,old shed in the vivs one tank with the boas had loads of poo in it which had fur growing on iit indicating that it had been there some time.
This is such a shame as the guy that runs it has a real passion for snakes and has lots of knowledge which I can't understand why the vivs are in a such a dreadful state.
The only clean viv was the one that housed the rattler in which was pretty much spotless.
I've heard Pilbarra in gloucester are really good so I'm of to visit them soon hopefully I can give good feed back from there.

As DPS I wouldn't buy any livestock from them due to the hygiene issues.
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  15:56:13  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address
such a shame, cos i heard such great things about them

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

scottydave
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:50:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ScalySituation

Hi guys this is the owner of dps i am really sorry that you felt this way about the shop but if you had commented to me maybe you wouldnt have felt this way i would love to meet you both and have a chat with you about your collections as im sure you are as passionate about reptiles as i am please dont hesitate to come back and make your self known to me and i can only apologise on your first opinions but we can all have off weeks and you must have visited on one of mine but if you returned im sure you would see that this is not the norm here thanks Dave
Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:56:07  Show Profile
Not to be rude or turn this into a hate post, but surely when you care for animals you don't have 'off weeks'. I've worked in a Care home and it would be just like leaving the vulnerable residents unwashed and dirty in their room for weeks? Now we wouldn't do that to people would we? Having old sheds and mouldy poop is to be honest unacceptable. I'll stick you in a tank and let you go about your business for a week and see how you like it!

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:00:33  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by scottydave

quote:

Hi guys this is the owner of dps i am really sorry that you felt this way about the shop but if you had commented to me maybe you wouldnt have felt this way i would love to meet you both and have a chat with you about your collections as im sure you are as passionate about reptiles as i am please dont hesitate to come back and make your self known to me and i can only apologise on your first opinions but we can all have off weeks and you must have visited on one of mine but if you returned im sure you would see that this is not the norm here thanks Dave

I'd love to come back soon :)
btw the baby beardies melted my heart

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x

Edited by - ScalySituation on 10/05/2012 11:17:01
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:05:48  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by Toggsy

I went to DPS today really really disappointed I found the same as scaly situation, mouldy water dishes,old shed in the vivs one tank with the boas had loads of poo in it which had fur growing on iit indicating that it had been there some time.
This is such a shame as the guy that runs it has a real passion for snakes and has lots of knowledge which I can't understand why the vivs are in a such a dreadful state.
The only clean viv was the one that housed the rattler in which was pretty much spotless.
I've heard Pilbarra in gloucester are really good so I'm of to visit them soon hopefully I can give good feed back from there.

As DPS I wouldn't buy any livestock from them due to the hygiene issues.

There very good there, I go there alot an knew them before they moved to the Gloucester atore, hope you like dogs though as they have a rather large free roaming German Shepard lol

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

scottydave
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:07:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Starmist

Not to be rude or turn this into a hate post, but surely when you care for animals you don't have 'off weeks'. I've worked in a Care home and it would be just like leaving the vulnerable residents unwashed and dirty in their room for weeks? Now we wouldn't do that to people would we? Having old sheds and mouldy poop is to be honest unacceptable. I'll stick you in a tank and let you go about your business for a week and see how you like it!

Why didnt you pass a comment to me then when you were in surely if you were so upset you shouldnt have left the shop without bringing it to mt attention so i could have delt with it staight away and with regards to a shed skin they are removed when noticed so the snake had more than likely just finished
Go to Top of Page

Starmist
Hatchling

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:52:08  Show Profile
I don't live even where near your store I was commenting on other peoples comments with my personal opinion.

If I had been in your store I would have indeed raised my concerns!

Edited by - Starmist on 10/05/2012 11:52:30
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:06:15  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address
i would have spoken to someone but there was a snall boy playing mysic really loudly on the laptop (I could hear it from outside the shop) and i felt i wouldnt have been able to get a word in edgeways

1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Go to Top of Page

scottydave
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:27:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Starmist

I don't live even where near your store I was commenting on other peoples comments with my personal opinion.

If I had been in your store I would have indeed raised my concerns!

Thats fair enough if you are ever in the area why dont pop in and have a look then you can make your own mind up on the store you are more than welcome anytime
Go to Top of Page

scottydave
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  12:47:07  Show Profile
quote:

i would have spoken to someone but there was a snall boy playing mysic really loudly on the laptop (I could hear it from outside the shop) and i felt i wouldnt have been able to get a word in edgeways

That would have been my son and it would have only taken two seconds to turn it off and i dont let him play it that loud as he brings his head phones with him but as i said you are more than welcome back anytime please make yourself known to me so we can have a chat about your reptiles
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  00:28:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by scottydave

quote:

We shouldn't have to comment or bring it to your attention in regards to the state of the vivs in the shop as a retailer you should be setting an example on how to keep exotics and this should be the number one priority that all the vivs are in spotless condition.
I was very embarassed to say anything just in case you took offence to it.

I was really disappointed that the shop was in such a bad way when I had heard such good things about the shop with people even recommending you due to your knowledge and reputation as being a good reptile shop.

They say first impressions count and the visit left a lasting impression on me.
I have only expressed my views and opinions by these first impressions when I visited the shop and I will not be returning to your shop again.

You say this was isolated incident however I have spoken to other reptile keepers who are local to me and are members of different forums and they have also reported similar findings dating back to last year and many of them will not use you again.

I will point out that I would not deliberately make up story's or point the finger at someone to destroy them or their lively hood and this is most certainly not a hate post.
If the shop was in top condition I would of very happily promoted you and recomended you on here credit where credit is due so to speak.

I hope I haven't offended you in anyway by my comments as this was never my intentions

I wish you all the best for future trading and I hope things will improve.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  08:29:30  Show Profile
I live miles away form this shop so I will most likely never have the chance to visit :(

However I would like to say that there is a shop close to me and although I have never seen poop in their cages they are very proud in telling me that they do not use thermostats and there is absolutley no need to use them and are reluctant to sell them to poeple if they ask for them. I would be more concerned over shops keeping their reptiles like this than the odd poo here and there. Other shops in my area seem to do a once a week clean and vivs are left untouched until this day. Its all very well commenting on the cleanliness or lack of cleanliness of the vivs but did the animals themsleves look healthy? Surely this the most important thing.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  13:52:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Red123

I live miles away form this shop so I will most likely never have the chance to visit :(

However I would like to say that there is a shop close to me and although I have never seen poop in their cages they are very proud in telling me that they do not use thermostats and there is absolutley no need to use them and are reluctant to sell them to poeple if they ask for them. I would be more concerned over shops keeping their reptiles like this than the odd poo here and there. Other shops in my area seem to do a once a week clean and vivs are left untouched until this day. Its all very well commenting on the cleanliness or lack of cleanliness of the vivs but did the animals themsleves look healthy? Surely this the most important thing.

I don't think you have read the post properly Red123 I agree there will be the odd poo in one or two of the vivs this is to be expected animals will be animals.
But in this case it looked and appeared to have not been cleared in weeks just by clearing the poo once a week would make a vast improvement.
You know yourself that snakes that they don't poo everyday like other captive animals in my opinion if you can't provide fresh water and clean up after them then you have to many animals or just pure lazynest.
Unhygienic conditions are a breeding ground for diseases this applys to any animal kept in captivity not just reptiles if anything due to the higher temperatures that reptiles are kept bacteria will spread quicker if any thing this is common sense.
If anything by having the vivs kept spotless it shows you care for the animals your selling.

Edited by - n/a on 12/05/2012 13:58:47
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  22:54:41  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Toggsy

quote:
Originally posted by Red123

I don't think you have read the post properly Red123 I agree there will be the odd poo in one or two of the vivs this is to be expected animals will be animals.
But in this case it looked and appeared to have not been cleared in weeks just by clearing the poo once a week would make a vast improvement.
You know yourself that snakes that they don't poo everyday like other captive animals in my opinion if you can't provide fresh water and clean up after them then you have to many animals or just pure lazynest.
Unhygienic conditions are a breeding ground for diseases this applys to any animal kept in captivity not just reptiles if anything due to the higher temperatures that reptiles are kept bacteria will spread quicker if any thing this is common sense.
If anything by having the vivs kept spotless it shows you care for the animals your selling.

Given the right conditions, warm damp and humid, poo can start to mold within a few days, so it may not have been sitting for weeks like you are implying. Granted most of us snake keepers remove poo as soon as we spot it but I have seen pics on this forum and other forums of snakes with old poos in their vivs/rubs. Both adult snakes and hatchlings. I would also like to point out that on certain types of bowls inparticular the china/pottery like dog/cat bowls, water marks can appear and be impossible to remove no matter how hard you scrub them, this can look like mold. Also, yes dirty living conditions can be a breeding ground for diseases etc but this does not mean that the animals are unhealthy. Infact I have seen animals kept in what I class as digusting conditions and the animals are in good health themseleves however when you remove the animals and place them in a clean environment thats when health issues arise. The animals can not cope with living in clean sterile like conditons and their health starts to suffer they simply can not cope with it. If placed back in the environment they came from they will infact improve.
I did read the post fully but can not see how anyone can make these assumptions unless you visit the shop daily for at least a couple of weeks if not longer.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

110 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  23:35:36  Show Profile
Its not just my opinions and findings it does seem strange that 2 of us from this forum along with other people I have spoken to have all said the same thing also I forgot to mention that stench in the shop was horrendous.
We could argue all day about this topic with who's right and who's wrong but the if the shop had been clean then we would not be having such a dicussion on the forum I wish I had taken photographs now and posted them on here then this would of settled the whole thing.
You have to take into consideration that this is someone who is seen as a professional and earns a living through it where as we are mere hobbyistits.

Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2012 :  11:07:16  Show Profile
You have your opinions and I have mine, but I can not believe how conditions can be that bad and you just walk away without confronting the owner, choosing to post on a public forum instead. If I visited a shop and conditions were as bad as you claim then I would most certainly speak to the owner and if the owner was not in on that particular day then I would ask the shop worker to contact them and ask them to come to the shop. Leaving the shop and not confronting the persons responsable is as bad as causing the conditions in the first place.

Two people visit the same shop and both have concerns over the cleanliness yet neither speak about it to the owner I just don't get it

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.

Edited by - Red123 on 13/05/2012 11:09:46
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000