Page: of 3

Primrose22
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  22:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good evening!

Thought i'd say "Hi" and introduce myself -

I've always been strangely drawn to snakes and have wanted one since i was very young but my parents were horrified at the idea so never had one of my own. Whilst living abroad I was part of a dance troupe and danced a lot with a stunning Yellow Python. She was so beautiful and calm but HUGE and very heavy. However, she was fed on live food which was too much for me to handle so i gave up on the idea of ever having my own snake.

I have since found out that this practice is now illegal in the uk and that frozen food is the norm, so i feel that the time is right to get my own snake (finally!) and think that a corn would be an ideal start.

I've spent weeks researching what the snake will need and have found this forum particularly helpful. Thank-you all for creating such a warm, friendly and informative site!

For the time being i am still learning but will let you know when i finally take the plunge and buy the snake!

I have a couple of initial questions though, if any one has the time :

1) Does the Vivarium have to be set up for a minimum time before introducing the snake ? (you know, like fishtanks ...?) I'm assuming not but need to be sure.

2)we always had the yellow python out with us, she was so massive its not like we couldnt see where she was the whole time! However, with a juvenile corn, i'm not at all sure! I saw some baby ones in the shop and they seem so teeny! How do you let your snakes out for a wander and not loose them ? I've read the thread on finding lost snakes and am already paranoid about it! I appreciate that the younger they are the less you can let them just slither around, but still ...

3) A question to dog + snake owners - did your dog react at all when you got your snake ? My gut feeling is that my Newfoundland will just ignore it totally but again, i want to be sure. Will the the snake pick up on the dog scent and be scared about it ?

Many thanks and looking forward to getting to know you all better,
Emily

Primrose22

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  22:38:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi and welcome along.

1, in regards to setting up before hand, the same day is fine, its always good to have the set up ready but spae of the moment buys sometimes force us to set up on the go. it generally takes an hour for that stat to settle the temps and your corn unless been fed within the last 48 will be fine to wait. but yeah if you can, do, but there is no need for it to be set up the week before.

2, i handle mine, never put them down, i will do when there are adults but mine are far too fast at the moment,

3, i have cats, they watch all 3 vivs like they are tvs, but are not bothered by them when they are out

i hope that all makes sense :s

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  22:41:26  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
1 = i would set the vivarium/faunarium up 24 hours in advance just to make sure the tempretures are ok (temps controlled by thermostat and read by thermometer)
2 = when my corns were small and fast i used to sit in the middle of the living room with a towel on the floor and used the ends of the towel as boundries so the snake could not get too far to escape.
3 = your dog will be fine, ur snake will be fine just avoid contact between the two!
hope this helps :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  22:59:44  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Emily, welcome aboard.

Glad to hear you are doing your research first.

1. It is best to have the vivarium or RUB set up before hand, just to stabilise the temperatures. See the stickies about thermostats, digital thermometers and setting them up.

2. If you go for a youngster you just have to be alert as they can be pretty quick. Older ones can also be quick but are a bit easier to catch. You just have to be vigilant about door or lid security when returning any snake after handling time. Check out local breeders for older snakes. They are generally cheaper than buying from a pet shop and established feeders.

3. I love Newfies. Only you can tell but going by the one my brother had it is more likely to slobber over rather than eat the snake.

Anything else you need advice on just ask. Plenty folk around willing to help and share their experience.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hello and welcome

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

kev 5
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3065 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  00:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello and welcome

Go to Top of Page

Primrose22
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  08:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi guys and thanks for your replies. I have lots of questions still so will definately be posting soon:)

Today's research is Musking, which i only found out about last night quite by accident. : /. In all the years i worked with the python on stage she never did this to me and i didnt even know it could happen. From what i've read its a pretty rare occurance right? It shows your snake is very stressed and is its way of telling you not to do that again . . .
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  08:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum :) I think musking is more of an issue with king snakes lol! I know corns can do it, but don't think they often do.

My labrador is nearing 12 and totally ignores the snakes, probably wouldn't have as a pup though... only you know your own dog :)

Best to set up 24 hrs in advance as above just to get the temps settled, but it can be done the same day as long as you check the temps really regularly and tweak as necessary.

When we first got Corno we only held her on our laps and never let her go on the floor/furniture so she couldn't escape. We've had her 5 months now and are happy to let her explore a bit now she's settled in. Having just got Ember the other week she is REALLY flighty and is defintely NOT being let go of at all at the moment as we'd probably never see her again lol!

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  09:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya and welcome,

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  09:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome, can't add anymore to your questions as peeps have already replied with answers - always good on here to get answers to questions - it is where I have learnt most of my knowledge :)

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  09:22:05  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
schmello :D

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there

For me i always keep hold of the snakes when handling, with them being of various sizes, in only have 1 out at a time though, the teeny one, i just hold and she explores my hands slithering through my fingers and wrapping round my wrist like a bracelet, the two slightly older ones i let a bit further exploring the furniture (although i make sure they've pooped first, new 3 piece and all don't want snake poop on it) I do watch for them heading for under the cushions which is natural they're off to hide, but i'm worried about them getting into the actual structure and then having to slash the furniture to bits to retrieve them. I personally don't let them on the floor as i have 2 cats who miraculously appear every time a snake comes out. They do sit and watch the viv/faun/RUB (i have 1 of each at the mo) and have only tried once to go for lilly but soon got a foot to backside and left, one suggestion from another member was to use a spray water bottle to squirt if they get too close - may work for the dog too, although dogs like water more than cats.

Good luck and ask all the questions you need, we all started our own corn journeys somewhere, for me it was here

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  08:53:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have three corn and two dogs tedd likes to stick his head into the girls viv when i open the door but i just think it because his a loon ...lol belle my other dog does not care what the snakey's are doing she just tries to lick them
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  12:11:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the forum

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  17:02:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi, welcome and well done for doing your research first. i have two dogs, my shep i would have no worries with having the snakes out when shes about, the spanner on the other hand is not allowed in the same room if they are out as she would have them!!

i am starting to let 8 explore a little bit more now although i still don't let him on furniture or the floor once he is a big boy he will be allowed and as for jinx he will not be allowed to go to far at the minuet as he is diddy and new!

a word of warning though.... you may not be able to stop at just one snake!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko

Edited by - lupi lou on 24/04/2012 17:03:13
Go to Top of Page

basilsmum
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  17:22:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
this is how my cat reacts to the viv - funny really but worrying when Basil comes out - i think she just wants to play with him

Go to Top of Page

Slither.Skaley.Springie
Snake Mite

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  15:44:25  Show Profile  Visit Slither.Skaley.Springie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
1) a good 24 hour set up would be the best choice
2) Its always good to hold them, but not too much. Overholding cuases stress and depression which could in turn kill your snake. And Corn snakes are known as the master escape artists. I would suggest a vivarium with a lock. You can probably find one at your local pet store or even on Ebay.
3) Your dog will know about your corn. I had an escaped male a few months ago, and my dog pin pointed his location, which was in the bathroom lol.

Corn snakes are also known as the most docile snake, which is the best kind of snake for a starting owner. And as far as feeding goes, you CAN feed frozen mice, but that can get rather expensive and live mice have more nutriants than frozen. If you dont have the heart to feed live mice, then why try frozen since they freeze them while theyre alive? Feeding live is more humane if you ask me. If you cant handle either, then I suggest an insectivore, like a Green Snake, Ribbon Snake, or a Garter Snake (Also known as a Garden Snake) Good Luck

Slither - Spotted Snow
Skaley - Normal
Springie - Abotts Okeetee
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:01:52  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slither.Skaley.Springie

Corn snakes are also known as the most docile snake, which is the best kind of snake for a starting owner. And as far as feeding goes, you CAN feed frozen mice, but that can get rather expensive and live mice have more nutriants than frozen. If you dont have the heart to feed live mice, then why try frozen since they freeze them while theyre alive? Feeding live is more humane if you ask me.

Live feeding is severely frowned upon here in the UK and is only used as a last resort when all other feeding techniques have failed. Feeding frozen is not exspensive and certainly more humane for the mouse and the snake. There is a large post on live feeding that may be of interest to you.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9701

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slither, you are in the US, we are in the UK. There are strict rules about live feeding here, and it is highly frowned upon (and I think also illegal but not 100% certain on that) except in exceptional circumstances (eg if the snake totally refuses dead food).

Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:05:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doh, too slow lol!!

Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:08:13  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry SB

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000