Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Corn Snake Posts
 Corn Snake Health
 Scales are damaged and brown - is my snake ill?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stugol
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  16:24:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The snake has since shed, and while the symptoms aren't completely gone, they're vastly improved. Almost all the signs are gone, so I reckon I'll just monitor him for a few weeks and see what happens.

I would like to thank everyone here for their help.

The dimmer switch is simply a dimmer switch, not connected to a thermostat. I set the temperatures by touching the heat mat and adjusting the knob until my hand is warm but not on fire. A bit low-tech, you might say, but I've had problems with thermostats before and I find this solution adequate.
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2012 :  17:13:51  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Have you not got a digital thermometer to check the actual temperature? Your hand is not really good enough as the maximum temp should be 30 deg and you are setting it so it feels warm to your hand and your body temp will be about 37 deg so your are setting it hotter then that if it feels warm. Digital thermometers are a few pounds on eBay I suggest you get one. I would also suggest you getting a thermostat so you don't have to check it with your hand every hour of every day to ensure it is not to hot and give your snake a burn or brain damage.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  07:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it feels warm to your hand, it's too hot for the snake! You need a proper digital thermometer at the very least, and the great majority of people on here would insist upon a proper stat.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  08:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stugol

The snake has since shed, and while the symptoms aren't completely gone, they're vastly improved. Almost all the signs are gone, so I reckon I'll just monitor him for a few weeks and see what happens.

I would like to thank everyone here for their help.

The dimmer switch is simply a dimmer switch, not connected to a thermostat. I set the temperatures by touching the heat mat and adjusting the knob until my hand is warm but not on fire. A bit low-tech, you might say, but I've had problems with thermostats before and I find this solution adequate.

ok, your simple dimmwer switch is not enough, you NEED a thermostat. and using your hand as a thermomter is not adequate.

if you have a stat all the will happen if it breaks is it will turn off, they are made to do that, that is half the point to them. a cold snake is better than a warm snake.

snakes that are kept a too high heat for long periods of time can suffer brain damage as well as other things.....like burns.

which you said in your original post you said 'The edges look burnt and shrivelled, but he can't have burnt himself.' if this is how you measure you temps, then it is more than possible to be burnt.

i think that you need to reconsider your set up asap 'today'

please understand that these issue are raised on a daily basis and it is discussed a lot on here.

1- you NEED a stat 23 pounds worth os life saving kit
2- you 100percent NEED a thermomter 2 pounds on ebay
3- it is ADVISED not to cohabit, this issue is localised to this particular snake but they are many issue that having more than one snake in a tank can cause confusion.

my hognose set up is at 32.2 degrees and never feels warm, so if yours is warm its well above 35, which the recomended temps are 27-29 which in my corn take feel room temp.

if you were to put your hand in a jug of 27 degree water it would feel colder tham you. try it you will see the difference.

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)

Edited by - Georgina on 15/04/2012 08:08:53
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  08:10:20  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
well said georgina :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

ashby_steve
Hatchling

United Kingdom
258 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2012 :  12:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Take your vets advice. If it gets worse go back.
He has seen alot of snakes and not only that, he has examined your snake in person, not just over a poor quality photo.
i dont think an unqualified diagnosis is what you need in this matter(no offense gang)

Go to Top of Page

stugol
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  13:33:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina
which you said in your original post you said 'The edges look burnt and shrivelled, but he can't have burnt himself.' if this is how you measure you temps, then it is more than possible to be burnt.

I don't believe so. This particular snake has a ceramic, not a heat mat, and has never been seen climbing up the guard, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be burnt on his underside.

I do have thermometers, and they register appropriate environmental temperatures.

quote:

my hognose set up is at 32.2 degrees and never feels warm, so if yours is warm its well above 35, which the recomended temps are 27-29 which in my corn take feel room temp.

if you were to put your hand in a jug of 27 degree water it would feel colder tham you. try it you will see the difference.

Yes, you may have a point here. I will look into it.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  13:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, I was referring to if a heat mat felt warm to your hand - not sure about a lamp. If you've got digital thermometers set up where the snake would actually be then that's obviously the best indicator! How is snakey doing now?

Go to Top of Page

stugol
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  13:42:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Donnie
Have you not got a digital thermometer to check the actual temperature?

Well, I have mechanical thermometers. Aren't they good enough?

quote:
Digital thermometers are a few pounds on eBay I suggest you get one.

And how do I know that this really cheap digital thermometer is accurate? Really cheap stuff tends to be garbage, and I have no reason to assume that a £2 digital thermometer off ebay would be more accurate than a mechanical one by a major brand.

quote:
I would also suggest you getting a thermostat so you don't have to check it with your hand every hour of every day to ensure it is not to hot and give your snake a burn or brain damage.

What makes you think I need to check it every hour? If I don't adjust the dimmer, the heat mat will keep a constant temperature. The ambient room temperature will generally remain within a few degrees of normal, therefore so will the enclosure.

Furthermore, if the snake is too warm, it will move to the cooler part of its enclosure - will it not? I fail to see the problem, provided I don't set it hot enough to burn.
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  13:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a snake needs to digest it will go to any source of heat, regardless to how hot it is, it needs the heat. And then you risk the snake getting to cold for too long and this can cause damage also.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  14:06:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And also the fact that you need to adjust the mat means you need a thermostat. If your mat was to over heat it could cause a fire, a stat prevents this.

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  14:09:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, just read back the lamp not mat comment, but the same apllies.

And in regards to the snake never climbing it, just because you havnt seen it doesn't mean it doesn't.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  15:54:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
£2 digi themometers are fine, I use them for all my corns, and they are pretty damn accurate. If you can feel the warmth, it's too warm. Like has been said, the mat/lamp should be set at the temp that is less than our bodyheat, so you should not be feeling it. If you're feeling it and it's warm, it'll be about 35-40 degrees, I can vouch for this as occasionally I've had a knocked thermostat probe (solved by gluing them down with hotglue). Mechanical thermometers are crap.

If you fail to see the problem, I'm a little stumped. Heat too hot? Snake will either go without heat (affecting digestion, leading regurges or worse) or force itself to stay there, leading to burns and even brain damage.

We're not telling you this for no reason. I would have thought that seeing the condition your snake was in would have been enough of a wakeup call that you're doing something wrong. A corn kept correctly will NOT suffer damage like that.
Go to Top of Page

stugol
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  21:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

£2 digi themometers are fine, I use them for all my corns, and they are pretty damn accurate. If you can feel the warmth, it's too warm. Like has been said, the mat/lamp should be set at the temp that is less than our bodyheat, so you should not be feeling it. If you're feeling it and it's warm, it'll be about 35-40 degrees, I can vouch for this as occasionally I've had a knocked thermostat probe (solved by gluing them down with hotglue).

As I said, I will be giving this some thought.

Some people reckon that the probe should be located generally near the bottom of the enclosure; others that the probe should be attached directly to the mat. Everyone has a different opinion, and it can be difficult to separate the stupid ideas from the sensible ones.

If the probe comes away from the mat, or the stat fails, the mat could well reach incandescent temperatures. Stats are supposed to fail cold rather than hot, but that doesn't mean they will. Dimmers are more reliable.

quote:
Mechanical thermometers are crap.

Actually, my experience has been that they tend to agree with each other, and therefore can be assumed to be correct.

Besides, if they're universally crap, how come all the major aquatics companies sell them?

quote:
I would have thought that seeing the condition your snake was in would have been enough of a wakeup call that you're doing something wrong. A corn kept correctly will NOT suffer damage like that.

Look, I'm not here to take cheek like that. The snake did not bloody burn itself - the ceramic guard is not hot enough to burn. While I'm willing to accept that my temperatures may not be optimal, they're certainly not hot enough to cook flesh. Or scales.

I appreciate the efforts of most people in this thread in their attempts to help my snake. What I don't appreciate is being spoken to like I'm some kind of idiot. You may disagree with my methods, but that doesn't entitle you to talk down to me.
Go to Top of Page

stugol
Snake Mite

13 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  22:00:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Georgina

And also the fact that you need to adjust the mat means you need a thermostat. If your mat was to over heat it could cause a fire, a stat prevents this.

Wrong. A dimmer switch prevents this. A stat prevents this until the stat fails, or the probe fails, or the probe comes away from the mat, or the snake spills its water all over the damn probe. Dimmers are fairly reliable, and fail cold. Stats on the other hand are complicated, and could fail either way, depending on how they're manufactured.

And what makes you think I have to keep adjusting the mat? I adjust it very occasionally.
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  22:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1- stats fail cold. and stats maintain a heat so you dont have to even if it is occasionally.
2 - glue the probes down

they are advised for a reason by 99 percent of people, it is your choice not to use one, but be assured you will find that people are less willing to help if they believe that you improperly care for your snakes, we all disagree about things wen keeping snake but there are two things that 95 percent of us agree on, using a stat and not cohabing snakes.

dial thermomters may well all be correct to each but the point is they adjust to slowerly and you may find that the temp goes higher than you know as the dial doesnt adjust quick enough.

in regards to the condition of you snake, i think you should gt it to another vet, snakes do not get wear and tear like that. and if they do, there is something too rough in your set up.

sometimes when someone point blank refuses to take advice its difficult not to get fristrated with them.

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  23:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Besides, if they're universally crap, how come all the major aquatics companies sell them?

Because people who don't know better will buy them.

quote:
Look, I'm not here to take cheek like that. The snake did not bloody burn itself - the ceramic guard is not hot enough to burn. While I'm willing to accept that my temperatures may not be optimal, they're certainly not hot enough to cook flesh. Or scales.

I appreciate the efforts of most people in this thread in their attempts to help my snake. What I don't appreciate is being spoken to like I'm some kind of idiot. You may disagree with my methods, but that doesn't entitle you to talk down to me.

My apologies, I did not mean for it to come across as snarky as it does now I read it back, but so far you just seem to be deflecting everything everyone is saying to you, and we care about the health of the snake. If those are not burns then you still need to find out what has caused this. The fact that it shed out to a good degree suggests that it IS some sort of external damage, so you'll need to have a good old look and feel around your viv and see if you can find anything sharp, scratchy or anything the snake could get stuck on.

Have you considered that she possibly squeezed herself into a gap in the guard? She may have got a bit stuck, and the resulting wiggling could cause damage, not to mention being very close to the lamp that way? The stuff they get up to when you're not looking is amazing >__@
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000