Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reptilesnumber1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  13:17:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I know that there were posts on corn snakes not eating but im still not sure as to my corn snakes condition.He was fed yesturday (6 april 2012). the mice is one size bigger than a pinky and my corn snake(male)is about 2 years old. using tongue feeders i waved the mice in front o his mouth and he took it. After about 10 min i came back into the room and he dealed with most o the mouse. But comming today the whole mouse is just lying in the tank. i am very worried as he hasnt eaten anything for about nearly 2 months.
in the tank he has a hide shedding box logs o wood plastic dinosaure and a water dish big enough for him to go in. i red that this could be a mite inectio(i think thats what its called) but i checked inbetween his scales and there are no symptoms for this. just incase i gave hi ahot bath and cleaned the tank but the same feeding story repeats. can anyone help me?? i really love my corn snake and dont want it to suffer and in the worst case even die, this would breake my heart. Thank you

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  13:26:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi can you give us the temps and what your heat source you use. it could just be down to breeding season. am sure some more exerianced will be along shortly

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Reptilesnumber1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  13:33:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi thank you,
i use a heat mat and the temperature is from about 26 to 28
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  14:24:25  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As my snakes are both under a year old I am not certain about this but I would expect a 2 year old to be on larger mice than fluffs as both of mine are on fluffs now. Did your snake eat the mouse and regurge it in the night? If so then you need to leave for 10 days just going in to change water and spot clean. Also do you leave your shedding box in there all the time? It should only be put in for snakey to shed and then be removed as to much moisture can be bad for corns.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

Reptilesnumber1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  14:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi,
my corn snake is not that big as when i bought it from the pet store it had very bad living conditions but ever since then i had no problems with him. his been getting on well until now i am worried that this could be because the vivarium he was in ever since we bought him was getting too small so i bought a new much bigger tank. the shedding box is not in there at all times only when i see that he is coming up to shed i put it in and take it out with the skin. could the vivarium have any thing to do with his eating disorders??? i will try and post a picture of him if that could help?
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2012 :  15:44:36  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It could be your viv, how big is it and do you have lots of coverage in there and a couple of hides? Pictures of your set up will be good.

1.1 Corns (Anery Stripe, Amel) 1.0 Rootbeer 0.2 Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 Zebra Jungle Carpet Python 1.0 50% Diamond Zebra Carpet Python
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  09:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moving to a bigger viv can be a bit daunting for a snake, and if the move has coincided with the regurge it may be best to move him back to the smaller one for a while. The width and length of a viv should be no shorter than the snake itself. Some snakes are perfectly happy in a bigger enclosure, but some get nervous, and I'm wondering if he's been kept in too small an enclosure in the pet shop for a long time it may be a shock to him? If he is in a much bigger viv then the other thing to do it put absolutely loads of hides and foliage in etc, so for example he can move from the warm hide to the cool one perfectly hidden, so he feels safer. It is also recommended that a new viv is treated like getting a new snake, ie no handling for a week to let them settle in. AS you've had no problems before I would try not to worry too much I'm sure he'll be fine :)

Also, what do you mean by the same story repeats? Have you tried to feed him again? After a regurge snakes should be left for 10-14 days to let their stomach acids recover, otherwise they cannot digest so will repeatedly regurge.

I would leave him totally alone for the next 10 days, no handling etc only change water, then try feeding again and fingers crossed all will be OK, if still not OK then I would possibly move back to the smaller viv, but others may advise doing this first?

Good luck :)

Go to Top of Page

Reptilesnumber1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  14:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANK YOU so MUCH. the viv is not much bigger than my corn snake. there are a lot of hides so as you said he can move from the cool side to the warm one. what i meant by the story repeating is that i tried to feed him on monday i he didnt take it i would wait till next monday to try again and well it didnt work he still didnt eat. the pet store he was in i must say isnt very spacious , so the enclosure he was in was tiny(a plastic take away box). i will try to maby feed him pinkies and see i he takes smaller bate and work on from there. anyway thank you so much. :)
Go to Top of Page

Donnie
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3215 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  14:45:28  Show Profile  Click to see Donnie's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good luck for Monday. Hopefully pinkies will work.

Don't forget to post some pictures of snakey

Go to Top of Page

Reptilesnumber1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  19:29:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you i hope they will work too. With luck i will try and post some pictures thank you for your help and advice.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000