New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

alicewalker24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:31:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My anery corn snake is about 4 years old, probably about a metre long (I think, I have never measured). Sex unknown. His vivarium has a cool temp of about 25 degrees and I am ashamed to say I do not know the warm temp as the thermometer is at the cool end. Nor do I check humidity as I had no idea this was so important until I started reading about scale rot. I thought corn snakes were really low maintenance but I now see how wrong I was. His water dish is a basic cat dish, about 15cm in diameter and about 3cm deep, kept at the cool end. I have been using beech chippings in there for a long time now.

So the problem: I just got him out today after a week away, I don't think anyone got him out in that time but they might not have realised anyway if there was a problem because I am his primary handler. The scales on his belly are really flaky, I can hear them scratching on my clothes when I handle him. He has these small yellow patches that look like the scale has "rotted" away (I don't really like to say that in case it isn't scale rot). He has a rough patch of skin on his nose that I thought was remnants of his last shed, but perhaps not. His shed looked perfectly fine, no small bits missing, no brownish areas, it looked healthy except that it didn't come out whole, it was in 2 pieces (the part that was on his upper jaw and down his back for a few centimetres came off). but it's often like that. He seems to have some discolouration around his vent and maybe on his face and belly scales but I'm not certain about that, he might have always looked that way. The discolouration is a barely-noticable grey/brownish hue. Again though it might be his natural colouring. He has not been acting any differently.

I go to uni away from home and I leave him in the care of my mum who barely cleans him out or handles him, but there is nowhere to keep him at uni if I'm even allowed. I always take care of him when I'm home a few times a semester but I doubt that's enough.

I'm so scared it's scale rot :( I feel so bad, I had never heard of this problem at all until now. Is there anything else it could be? And if it might be, what can I do in the mean time? (we are probably taking him to the vet next week).

Thank you so much in advance for your help, advice/peace of mind would be appreciated.

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:36:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi , there, can you post some pictures. x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  21:53:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't stress how important it is to know the hot end temps. Heat mats overheat if they have not got a thermostat and a thermometer attached. Is it possible that what you are seeing on the snake are burns?

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2012 :  22:10:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Katie.Dublin

Can't stress how important it is to know the hot end temps. Heat mats overheat if they have not got a thermostat and a thermometer attached. Is it possible that what you are seeing on the snake are burns?

Exactly what I thought when I read it.

Can you post some photos of the area, there are a few different possible causes (scale rot, retained shed, burns) and they are easily identified with some good quality photographs, maybe get someone to take the photos while you restrain the snake to take the photos. Have a look in the photos section for instructions on how to post pictures onto the forum using photobucket.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

cobweb251
Hatchling

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  09:49:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would be interested in seeing this aswell so I know what to look for jus in case.

Edited by - cobweb251 on 31/03/2012 09:50:21
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2012 :  13:03:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as above, and have you thought about moving your thermometer to the hot end, i don't measure the temps in the cool end as i'm unable to control them, but it will be cooler than the hot end for sure, at least that way you'll know if the heat mat is getting too hot.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

alicewalker24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2012 :  18:04:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone so much for your interest and advice, I will get photos up asap!
Go to Top of Page

alicewalker24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  22:15:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are three pictures of my snake, I hope the quality is good enough

http://imageshack.us/g/713/dsc0685m.jpg/

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2012 :  22:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last pic makes me think they COULD be minor burns but i'm sure somebody more educated will be along to give an opinion! Really would get that hot end sorted out ASAP though. And it isn't just us being hypochondriacs! lol

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

alicewalker24
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  13:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay I have got a hygrometer and I have ordered a digital thermometer, I'll be able to check the temp at both ends with that, and will also keep the liquid crystal thermometer I already have. I just checked under his hide and he had moved the substrate around so much that he was actually sitting ON the heat mat which was scary. I put some more bedding on top so it's nice and thick now. This made me think that he probably got burned on his heat mat, poor thing.

I do hope I'm right and it's not scale rot! But adding up everything together it seems more likely that he got burnt. We decided not to take him to the vet because they were charging £50 and we're not so well off at the moment, and if we take him and they tell us it's burns when we already thought that could be the problem it'll be a waste of money we don't have. If the problem persists we'll definitely take him. Does anyone know how long burns take to heal?

Thank you everyone!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  14:07:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is perfectly normal for corns to sit directly on the heat mat - there is no point thinking covering it over will keep him away as he will probably just shove it out of the way again. What is important is that your stat and thermometer probes are sitting right in contact with the mat, same as snakey would be, not on top of the substrate, and that the temps are kept approx 28 degrees. You do have a stat don't you? If you don't it would have been getting far too hot and it would almost certainly be burns. Use your thermometer which you already have right now to go and check the hot temps!!

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  19:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget its not just a thermometer you need. The thermostat is the device that gonna CONTROL the temperature, you just need the thermometer to monitor them.

0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2012 :  21:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, do you have a thermostat attached to your heatmat? Heatmats aren't designed for cornsnakes only, they'll happily reach 40c when not regulated, leading to burns and even things such as brain damage.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000