Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  09:38:39  Show Profile
I pick up my first corn in a few day's and i have the viv all set up to make sure everythings ok. however i have a micro climate 13watt heat mat which i am struggling to get hot enough i also hav i thermostat.

i have the thermostat turned all the way up but only get temps of 26.6C (i have a digital exoterra thermometer) this is not through loss through substrate as the probe is stuck to the plastic at the bottom of the viv with no substrate in the way) th cold side is 20.5 so think this side is ok any tips for getting the temp up or buy a different heat mat? any and all help will be appriecated.

Jack

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  09:43:38  Show Profile
what size is your viv? what's it made out of? what substrate are you using and how thick is it, also where abouts is you mat (under the viv, substrate etc)?

Oh and what size is the matt and what type of stat is it?

Edited by - n/a on 02/02/2009 09:44:41
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:30:31  Show Profile
like this one
http://www.atasuki-china.cn/pic/gif/1205719431.jpg

the viv is 2ft by 1.5ft
glass front back with plastic vented sides.
the substate was maybe 1.5cm aspen bedding
the mat is under the viv just to reduce wires going in but i can put is inside if that would help. i currently have my desk with 1cm of polystrene on top then heat mat then viv on top
the mat is a micro climate 11" by 11" one that the pet shop guy said would be fine without a stat but i bought one anyway to be safe. the stat is a cobra stat 300 hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:42:14  Show Profile
Well, I'm new to this myself, but you probably only need about a centimetre's worth of substrate at the hot end. The stat sounds fine, the size of the mat seems ok, perhaps you may need to put it inside. It may be that you need a bigger mat.

It sounds like the setup you have is ok to me though, where abouts is the thermometer? It should be as close to the probe as possible (also as close to the substrate, where the snake is likely to be) so that your getting accurate readings of the temp (mines to the furthest side of the hot end so I know the hottest part of the viv)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  10:48:12  Show Profile
i wanted to find out how hot it got so brush the substrate aside and set the prob on the bottom of the viv so only thing between probe and mat is the plast bottom to the viv i'm going in to the petshop today so i'll ask ben and get his advice as well so i can make an informed decision
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  11:31:05  Show Profile
I wouldn't rely on the probe to give you an accurate reading, Your better off using the thermometer, adjust the stat according to the thermometer as I believe the temp you set on the stat isn't all that accurate. Place the thermometer where the probe is to give you an accurate reading. (you may find the temp is actually warmer then you think, also the mat will keep the substrate warm as it holds the heat so leave some substrate there as this is what the snake will be on/in anyway.

Oh and what size is the snake, if it's a juvenile (less then a year) then that viv may be too big for it.

Edited by - n/a on 02/02/2009 11:34:01
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  11:58:33  Show Profile
she's nine months an about 20" so i thought that too but thats what she in at the minute and i've packed mine out with more hides and plants than she currently has to make it feel cosy.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  12:02:58  Show Profile
cool, show us some pics when you get her home :)

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  12:30:03  Show Profile
oh definitly theres some pictures here as see been in dublin for 3 months now. i just didn't have a place of my own until yesterday so i've been in at least twice a week to see her after work lol.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2031&whichpage=2
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  12:54:51  Show Profile
She is very cute, how about Nestle as she looks a bit like a caramel bar. Or Ness for short.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  14:00:25  Show Profile
i ended up going for butterkist with butters for short
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  09:13:06  Show Profile
sorted it!!! turns out (i never looked) that there is a foam on the under side of the viv to stop heat leaking out however it also stoped my heat getting in!!!!! so i have the mat inside, secured to bottom and wires hidden away with the temp adustable up to 34c but i have it around 30c on top of substrate is that about right?
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  09:20:38  Show Profile
Ah nice one. I think 30 is the max hot end looking at other posts and the book I have on corns. I think the ideal gradient is 21 - 30 cold to hot end.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  11:02:07  Show Profile
my cold end is 20 but think thats ok by the books i've read
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:06:11  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address
quote:
Originally posted by jhmw1

my cold end is 20 but think thats ok by the books i've read

the cool end is usually ambient room temp. if the snake wants to go somewhere warmer it has that option

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  15:37:21  Show Profile
my termostat is the trex cobra stat and it and the heat mat is playing up. i thought i had it ok when thermometer on top of substrate read 30.5 however on the heat mat which is 0.5cm of aspen it's 34.5 i'm worried that if she goes burrowing she'll get burn't what should i do
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  16:31:46  Show Profile
Turn the thermostat down... snakes die quicker if they are too hot rather than too cold from what I have read so far... Turn the stat down to about 25 degrees and see what happens... then if need be, move it up by small increments after until it reaches correct temp... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  16:52:49  Show Profile
that's my problem i turned the temp to 28 on the stat probe is right on top of the mat before i went to bed last night. When i woke up it was 23c and cold end was 21c so heat mat thermostat must have cut out. When i adjusted the stat it started to heat up again and when i left for work this morning it was 30.5 on the mat and 29 on the substrate is that ok?
If it's still like that when i get home and ok in the morning then i'll collect her after work tomorrow if mot i'll spend a few more days tweaking the stat to get it right before bring her home.
Go to Top of Page

Jennet
Hatchling

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:37:17  Show Profile
To be honest, if it was me, I would be happier either not bringing her home until you are sure you are getting the right temps OR going with the viv a bit cooler rather than too hot.... Hopefully, someone with a lot more experience than I have will be on here before long, and may be able to offer you more constructive advice.. sorry... J

www.thecornsake.co.uk
www.thehognosesnake.co.uk
www.theamphibian.co.uk
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

105 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  17:41:25  Show Profile
if it's not right i'll wait i don't mind that just hope it will be fine when i get home plus no internet in my flat yet that's next tueday so might go round to my aunts round the corner to check back here later/ ask advice
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

94 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2009 :  22:28:39  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by jhmw1

that's my problem i turned the temp to 28 on the stat probe is right on top of the mat before i went to bed last night. When i woke up it was 23c and cold end was 21c so heat mat thermostat must have cut out. When i adjusted the stat it started to heat up again and when i left for work this morning it was 30.5 on the mat and 29 on the substrate is that ok?
If it's still like that when i get home and ok in the morning then i'll collect her after work tomorrow if mot i'll spend a few more days tweaking the stat to get it right before bring her home.

Are you reading the temp in the viv by the stat or the thermometers? The stats I think are well known for giving inaccurate readings. I would set the temp by the thermometers rather then stat, using the probe only for temp fluctuations keeping the viv at the temp set via the thermometers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000