New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  21:07:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....I have now put Rusty into a bigger viv without a heat lamp and with just the heat mat on the floor.
I have a stat and thermometer probe on the mat and another probe in the cold end. The readings are quite stable, about 29-31degrees in the warm side and about 19-21 in the cool end and all seems fine so far. Although the temp is 29-30 the mat is only just luke warm to the touch, does that sound right??
Today I got Rusty out and he felt much cooler to the touch than he normally is (when I had the lamp) and he spends all his time in the cool end and never comes out (he used to always appear as soon as we turned out his lamp and would have a good explore)
It does not feel warm when you put your hand inside the viv (it used to when I had the lamp) and he was much more active then.
My question is does this sound right? I have done as you all suggested but am worried its too cold for him, do you think he got used to the warmth of the lamp. I haven't once seen him anywhere near the warm bit.
Sorry if I have gone a bit but I really want to make sure I have it all correct.

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  21:16:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
try not to let the temps go over 30, it won't feel warm to us as our body temp s around 37, so both the mat and snake will feel cooler, he'll be happier with those temps

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Corns7
Hatchling

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  21:19:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may just be the new viv, he may just want to settle in, he may have gotten used to the lamp and now that you have taken it away he may feel less secure? Maybe the lamp gave him more confidence? But I'm not sure. Anyway, I hope he comes out soon :)

0.1 Carolina corn-Willameana

1.0 springer spaniel- Seb

1.0 shih tzu- Charlie

0.1 black cat- Luna
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  21:40:23  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
if you dont get any activity you could always put the bulb back in but leave it off, so its something more familiar to him?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  22:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He was probs more active before beacause he was trying to cool down, I notice this when the heater is on in our flat and the cool temp creeps to 22, I then turn the heater off and they go back hiding. I now havnt had the heater on and they come out in the evening. 30 is the maximum, try and tweak you stat down a degree. Neither of mine are overly active. I'm not much help really sorry x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2012 :  22:24:51  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Tracy.
It will feel cooler as the lamp would of been increasing the air temp in the whole viv, this isnt good in small vivs are it reduces the thermal gradiant.
A mat is a contact heater so only warms what it touches, at 30oc it will barely feel warm to the touch considering your skin temp is more likey to be 35-36oc.

Just because you havnt sean him in the warm end doesnt mean he isnt going there....

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  00:41:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep I rarely see my lot in the warm end but I know they go there. In fact I've had the windows open all day and forgot to close them as it got colder at night and they are all in the hot end tonight lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  08:35:33  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a33272

Tracy.
Just because you havnt sean him in the warm end doesnt mean he isnt going there....

This. You can't be awake to perv at them all the time after all.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  10:31:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sometimes takes them a while to get used to a new viv. I moved Voldemort into a new viv 2 weeks ago, gave him a week with no handling to settle in, but he's only started to venture out in the daytime since the weekend. Give him a couple of weeks and he'll be fine

Go to Top of Page

tracym
Egg

United Kingdom
60 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  12:41:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your replies

Its great to have some reassurance
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly