New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Suepersonic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  03:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi. im new to snake keeping and just bought a 8 month old carolina cornsnake. I bought her a week ago and due for 1st feed tomorrow. I have been holding her 2 or 3 times a day and been loving it!! She seamed so placid and friendly. But tonight (1am) I opened her viv to put a new hidy tub in for her, and she rattled and struck out at me and the tub! It really unnerved me and upset me. she's never done it before. Should i leave her alone or put a glove on and handle her anyway? I don't want this to put me off, although my confidence will have taken a knock to say the least!! please help. Sue

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  07:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually it's best to leave them for a week without ANY handling once you get a new snake. This lets them settle in and get used to their new home and the sights, sounds and smells that come with it. I'd give her a bit more time to prepare herself before you get her out again.

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  07:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sue n welcome congratulations on getting your first snakey

we have loads of advice and care sheet
http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4133

It is best when having a new snake not to handle them at all during the first week it gives them time to settle in and become used to there new surrounding's only changing water....i would say that the behaviour last night may have been down to the fact that you suprised her... snakes have no eyelids so she was more than likely a sleep ...
i would leave her to settle in... we all no how hard it is
read the care sheet on this forum and the sticky's too
the ones abour termostates guards and excaping snakes are definatly a must

feel free at ask advice any time
and don't forget to post some pictures of your first corn
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  12:34:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might also consider carrying a sock/piece of cloth around in your pocket for 24hours and put it in the viv. That way she'll get used to your smell. Other then that, all i can suggest is confidence while still being gentle. Don't back off if she rattles and hisses because this will teach her that she has the power to scare you away.Bites from corn snakes are harmless and don't really hurt, especially from one so young. So don't be worried :) If gloves make you feel more confident then it's an option but after having your scent in the viv for a few days she should be fine with your bare hands. :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  12:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's certainly not BAD behaviour on the snakes part, it's because she was scared! I felt really guilty the other day because I was trying to find where Corno was hiding in her viv and I obviously scared her as I found her so she rattled at me. At that particular point I was just checking up on her so I left her alone, but I did ensure I got her out later that same evening (with a bit more warning I was around) and she was fine. As above, your snake should have been left for a week undisturbed to settle, but if she's been happy enough then I would probably carry on as you have been as that's what she's used to (others may not agree though). I just think a week of daily handling followed by her first strike, then followed by an undisturbed week may make her more likely to think the strike was a good idea? I wouldn't go for gloves though - she'll already be getting used to your scent from the last week, and gloves would smell different. Just assume you startled her and carry on as you were. You do know not to handle for at least 48hrs after a feed though, don't you?

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  21:12:16  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
its natural behaviour, the tail rattling means 'go away and leave me alone' and the striking means 'I told you to leave me alone, now i'm gonna eat you' and is displayed because there is nowhere for them to run (their preferred defence)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

bon
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  21:16:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi ,i also leave a glove in slither viv and i handle it everytime i go into the viv as he new to me ! (:
Go to Top of Page

Suepersonic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  15:07:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow!! thx everyone for all the fantastic advice!! i confidently went in and handled her prior to feedy time and she was fine, showed no signs of aggression, phew! i followed the 'sock in the pocket' advice though so she now has a wonderful old sock decorating her viv. Then we had first feed time!! which was a little disappointing as she didnt coil round it but im not worried, just wondered if anyone else was same?? thx to everyone your so friendly and a great help!! post some pics soon as soon as they come out in focus or without my bulging belly poking thro my open fly...my daughter really cant take a good photo!! ha ha
Go to Top of Page

mgtrock
Egg

United Kingdom
64 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  15:15:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - mines only 9 months old and has only struck and coiled for the past 2 months. Prior to that he would headbut his dinner, slither off and then come back once i'd put it down and he'd scoff it. Now he has a good strike, coils and holds on to it for dear life for 10 minutes, lets go, spends 5 minutes inspecting it trying to find the head end and then decides to eat it..... he's not the brightest i dont think!

1.0.0 Carolina Corn (Slash)
1.0.0 British Giant Rabbit (Samson)
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2012 :  16:17:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear she was fine this time Corno is now almost 7 months and has never struck (except for the very 1st feed) and never coiled. She takes her own time to go over to the mouse, head butts it a few times, often tries to eat it from the middle, decides that is not possible so goes round to one of the ends and then eats it... nothing fast or furious she's a laid back soppy, maybe someone needs to point out to her she's a snake with 'lightning fast reactions'?!

Edited by - smart bunny on 23/03/2012 16:18:16
Go to Top of Page

Suepersonic
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  17:23:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OMG!! you all got me in fits of laughter with ur feeding stories. Nice1!! its surprising how much character they've got..bless. I suppose these forums is the best place for showing off our babies, as we cant exactly take em out to the park for walkies! Im not sure what i should be doing when replying, do i just do the 'quick reply' or should i be clicking on 'reply to topic'! Or should i be clicking on new topic, or does that go somewhere completely different???? Sorry not had much to do with forum thingys.
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2012 :  18:23:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome to the forum. Just hit the reply to topic to add to a post using smileys quick reply without, new topic to start a thread.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000