New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cypher
Snake Mite

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  04:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
G'day guys I haven't been on this forum for some time now, however I'm getting concerned with my corn's recent inactivity.
He's just under 3 yrs old now & for the past 2 months seems to stay in one spot only...he's perched himself on a branch in the enclosure & doesn't seem to want to move at all.

Prior to this, he would always venture about & obviously be more restless as a sign he was hungry.

These past few months, he just stays curled up in the branch & will only venture down when food is placed in the enclosure...suffice to say I'm worried he's not drinking enough.

The only significant change I've made is replacing his blue night light to a regular fish gro-light (for visual purposes only).

Could the brightness ( turns on for only 5 hours in the evening) or the actual spectrum of the light have anything to do with the snake inactiveness?

Even when the light's off, he doesn't move....I know your responses will be that I can't watch his movements 24hours a day...however I am convinced he has been less active of late.

Any suggestions would be good.

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  11:57:36  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Hi, if you can give us some more details of him and his set-up we may be able to give you some suggestions. This thread gives the details of all the information that will be helpful http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13662

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Cypher
Snake Mite

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  00:51:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok- my corn's approx. just under 3 yrs old & would be close to 3 feet long.
He's housed in a glass viv that's about 2 1/2 feet long, 18 inches high & wide.
Branches hang from the ceiling (where he seems to be always perched on) & there are hide boxes in both the warm & cool ends of the viv. The substrate is shavings as often used by other snake owners.

I've had him since he was about 8 wks old & he last ate about 2 wks ago.
His last shed was about a month ago.

Heating is with a heat mat that covers 2/3 of the floor area, regulated with a thermometer & gets a steady temp of 28 degrees celsius. I'm not sure about the cool end's temp but suffice to say it would be cooler up in the branches than on the ground w/heat mat.

As I mentioned, he just stays perched on a branch & hardly moves/ explores his surroundings as he's previously done.

Could the spectrum of the light have an affect on him?
As I mentioned, I'm using a common fish/plant gro-light just for visual purposes only & this only turns on from 7pm to midnight.
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  16:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not an expert and cannot comment on the lighting, but the heat mat should only cover 1/3 to 1/2 of the floor, sounds like it's maybe a bit too hot and that's why he's hanging out in the branches? Strange that he's suddenly changed though if he's lived that way a long time - possibly breeding season also contributing to the change?

Go to Top of Page

Cypher
Snake Mite

Australia
18 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2012 :  04:42:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might have a point there...Smart Bunny regarding the heat mat covering too much ground in the enclosure.
Although like I said, his docile behaviour is only quite recent compared to how long I've been using this size heat mat.

I'll drop the temp down slightly & maybe replace the heat mat with a smaller size.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000