New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  19:55:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we took our snakes to be probed tuesday (feed day)all went well ... we got two girl's and the lady in the reptile shop said that we should put sizzle up a feed from small mouse to medium took this on board got the girls home and fed pop's she wolfed it down so then it was sizzles turn we fed both in tub's ..so she starts eating mouse and about half way down the mouse popped open the belly of the mouse was facing up... she ended up with her head and eyes buried in the mouse tummy with a flap of mouse skin covering her head she started to rear up and jerk around.... i swiftly put hand in tub and gentley eased the skin back and under her nose... she finnshed the rest of the mouse with out help was i right in helping her

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  20:24:10  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
you could have disturbed her more by trying to help. i had one pop. tried helpping and silva chucked it out a refused feed for another week. then it happened ago a few months ago. so i just left her to get on with it. and she finished it with no probs. maybe if theres a next time just see how it goes and give them a wipe after

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  20:28:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the popped snake was not a problem it was the fact it was suck over her head like a mask it covered her face

Edited by - claire_daz on 14/03/2012 20:59:32
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  21:34:16  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She doesn't appear to have been bothered if she went on to finish it. Probably would have been more stressed if you left her to sort it herself.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  21:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
once lightning got the arms of a mouse stuck in the corners of his mouth and started twisting to try and get them in and started flapping around and getting really stressed, so i poke one of them in and he was 100 fine and went about everything as normal. x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  21:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought she was suffercating as her mouth was and face was completely covered by mouse skin...
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  11:43:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds to me like you did the right thing, especially as she carried on feeding OK. It's tricky to know what is right/wrong - obviously in Marc's case it was wrong but in yours right lol!!

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  18:11:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would have sorted itself out, it wouldn't have suffocated as they breathe from the bottom of their mouths not the top and stick out their glottis (think of it as a 'my mouth is full of mouse' snorkel). I've intervened when things have looked beyond their capabilities and I've also left them to it too so really its upto you, a little bit of assistance is OK just dont ever try pulling the prey item out of the mouth as you are likely to take the snake's teeth with it.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

claire_daz
Hatchling

United Kingdom
412 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  19:26:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh god no i would never try to pull mouse out i know there teeth are very little i just pull the skin of mouse apart so it was not covering her head think she was struggling about cos she could not see very nice to know that its the bottom of the mouth though thanks
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2012 :  09:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's interesting lotabob - I'd often wondered how they breathe whilst eating lol!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000