Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

serena_08
Yearling

United Kingdom
784 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  21:13:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do corns need one?

We have bought my mum a 3ish yr old corn today and here is what we bought:

3ft viv, heat mat, aspen, analogue thermometer, basking bulb and holder and some decor.

he tried to sell us a dimming stat for the bulb, but not a stat for the mat. Now, all is set up without the bulb, and a stat for the mat is on its way because I was adamant we should get one. I made a show of myself arguing wit the man about the mat stat as he said 'it is unnecessary to use a stat' and we 'NEED the lamp as corns are semi-ar-something and like to bask.'

the heat lamp is now away just incase something happens and the mat goes out of use, and we have bought some LED strips from ikea for lighting.

I got somewhat confused about what was needed and not needed.

Sorry about length of post!

1.0.0 Corn: D-Bo (Amel)
1.0.0 Western Hognose: C*ntyB*ll*cks
0.1.0 MBK: Rosa
0.0.1 Leopard Gecko: Zuko
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon: Kobe
0.0.1 Fire Bellied Toad: Snoop
1.1.0 Cats: Penny and Sheldon
1.0.0 Staffy: MooMoo

I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  21:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
one or the other, mats are the norm. a stat is needed for any heat source and a gaurd also if using a bulb. you need two digital thermometers one at each end. i tend to put both on the hot end for a hour to double check they read the same. turn the mat off until the stat gets her x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  21:24:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

one or the other, mats are the norm. a stat is needed for any heat source and a gaurd also if using a bulb. you need two digital thermometers one at each end. i tend to put both on the hot end for a hour to double check they read the same. turn the mat off until the stat gets her x

Or both! I use both in my 4ft vivs but only mats in the 3ft ones as I find the ambient temp can get a little warmer than I like.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  21:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The lamp is not needed. Corns are diurnal, and are most active at dusk and dawn.

A mat and stat are all you need, set to around 27-30C at the warm end. The thermometer and thermostat probe should be placed in the middle of the mat at one end of the viv to create the warm end.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Georgina
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2382 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  21:31:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Okeetee Mick

quote:
Originally posted by georginasweeting

Or both! I use both in my 4ft vivs but only mats in the 3ft ones as I find the ambient temp can get a little warmer than I like.

or both, personal choice, i didnt mean it the way it sounded x

1.0 western hognose (hero)
1.0 phantom reverse pin dal brindle crested gecko (goyle)
0.2 red dal red harly (sprite) 99% full pin Harley crested gecko (TuLong)
0.0.3 miomantis paykullii
0.0.3 Bombina orientalis (oriental fire bellied toad)
0.3 fancy mice (snap, crackle and pop)
1.0 yorkshire terrier (jasper)
2.1 cats (echo, shadow and pokey)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000