New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  01:45:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok yes i have keep corns for 6 years but i have never breed them and am wanting to start ive herd the rule of 3 when it comes to breeding but now im getting a mixed response from dif people i have a amel girl she is 4 years old and i got her from a friend that no longer wanted to keep snakes wile she had my snake she escaped for 5 months befor coming out the vent in a bedroom lol my friend was sold the snake from a shop as a male so i when i got her put her in with my other male woke up one morning to 7 healthy eggs the snake was then only 18 months old and no more than 180 in weight i was so worried i gave the eggs away and got a new viv she lived and never had any probs now she is 4 years old just under 3 foot by 1 inch and weighs 278 i have been asking if i could breed her most have told me that as she has had eggs befor she should be fine but others have said dont do it she still sheds every 6 weeks or so we keep her skin to see if there is much dif between them to make sure she is still growing it only is ever very little so what do u lot think i should do i know i have gone on a lot lol but just want some advice and im one for better to ask than be sorry later lol ....................i have all the stuff to keep the babys and i know i will be able to sell them on after but its my girl i want to know about ty all xx

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  10:23:26  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
To be honest, i really wouldnt risk it. I have read that laying eggs too young can stunt growth which does seem to be the case with your girl. She barely has enough weight to sustain 1 clutch of eggs, if she was to double clutch then I really feel that you could lose her. I don't know about you but I wouldn't want to put her at that risk just for the sake of trying breeding. It may turn out all fine but is it really worth risking it. If you want to have a go at breeding, I would spend the next few months looking for a good healthy girl and start next year, and leave this little girl to concentrate on supporting herself.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  14:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i really dont want to put her at any rist that y i asked for views this group is very helpfull so thought it would be the best place to ask i keep looking aT her and think no then someone says yes thats y i was mixed up about it all and thats y i asked i think i new the answer but wanted some one else to tell me does that make sence i do have other girls 1 amel 1 anery and 1 snow that i know will be fine in about 3 years they all hatched early last year. ty for being honest so many have said give it a go she will be fine but now its a def no no with her i have gone 6 years not breeding whats another 3 im in no rush lol thanks again xx

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2012 :  23:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
to be honest, she is probably that weight because she was bred too small the year before. Whilst there is every chance she will be fine, the is also a chance that she wont be, and vets fees for a snake that is eggbound can go in to the hundreds.
Personally, if i was you, i wouldnt do it.

Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  01:28:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not going to now decided i will see how she gets on over the next few years then see how things are if i never breed her that is fine with me and the last time she was breed was not by choice i would never alow my snakes to breed that young or at that size it was not my falt that the shop sold her as male lol

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  12:03:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sue2012

im not going to now decided i will see how she gets on over the next few years then see how things are if i never breed her that is fine with me and the last time she was breed was not by choice i would never alow my snakes to breed that young or at that size it was not my falt that the shop sold her as male lol

You're fault they co-habitted though!! That said, i am assuming from what you wrote that she bred for you because you bought her as a him, and kept him with another male.

Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  16:07:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
not going to get in to a hole cohab debate with anyone how i keep my snakes is my choice and i do cohab my corns again my choice yes it was because she was sold as a male i was not asking to juged on my snake keeping i was asking for advicve regarding 1 of my corns!!!

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  20:54:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sue2012

not going to get in to a hole cohab debate with anyone how i keep my snakes is my choice and i do cohab my corns again my choice yes it was because she was sold as a male i was not asking to juged on my snake keeping i was asking for advicve regarding 1 of my corns!!!

I gave you advice, i answered what you asked, and you provided extra information, from that information it shows that actually co habitting is a bad idea, afterall it ended up in a situation that could have potentially killed the snake!

Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  22:02:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it was bad as the snkae turned out to be the wrong sex im am sure all my girls are girls so they live togather and unless i see any probs thats how it will be ty for help regarding the topic all help is welcome sorry if post seam a bit well not nice lol

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2012 :  22:57:32  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the end of the day, as per the specific advice you asked in the opening statement, i will hedge my bets 99% of members will say no to breeding just now. Myself included xx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000