New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
..and what would I do about it?
I'm asking because I've read in a few places now about the possibility of un-mated solitary females laying infertile eggs, and presumably having all the same health issues as if they'd been mated. A post I read mentioned being able to feel 'bumps'- what would the size/ solidity mobility and position of egg-bumps be?

(yes I know, it almost sounds like I'm looking for things to worry about, but I just want to know what to recognise, if it really is a possibility, and then what to do to keep the sanke healthy should I ever have to deal with that situation.
sharons still only a tiddler but Mrs Sweety-pie is cb09 310g and just a tad shy of 3ft long. and has a bulgy bum.
(justa big poo, probly, i know- but its been like it for days. poor thing is all blue and blind and careful atm aswell)

please be patient; try not to laugh at me too much-

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:37:43  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
my amel the first year she was old enough to breed produced 12 infertile eggs. get a container big enough for her to fit into twice over with extra room. if shes gone off her food and is due to shed soon or just has then put the containing in there. half fill it with vermiculite. per every 150g add 150ml of water mix it together so its damp not dripping. and cut a hole big enough for her to get in easily. then just keep an eye.

with regards to know if she is/isnt. i use my thumb gently run ur thumb over her belly to the tail. this will help u fill the bumps. has she rapidly been putting on weight. is so she might be preparing just incase a male comes along. but with the box in the viv this will losen her up and help the eggs come out if she does decide to lay.

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:57:50  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
also dnt know if you have or not but give these a read

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17046

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17108

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  23:14:23  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My female did it last year although I didnt realise she was carrying eggs until I found 2 in her warm hide. She never stopped eating so that is not neccesarily an indicator. So I could feel if she still had eggs left inside her I used to gently but firmly hold her as she slid back into her viv so that her belly ran along my fingers. You will feel them as individual bumps although some people can't feel them. I think I could in Connie as she was only just over 300g and dropped below that as she was laying. Feeling bumps does not always mean that the female is carrying eggs though. Another of my females had bumps along her body and I think it was just a sign of her ovulating as they disappeared within a week or 2.

Just also to add, they do have a prelay shed before laying any eggs. Connie did although I didnt recognise it as a prelay shed. I just thought that she was having an early shed because she had a growth spurt. That was another thing, she put on alot of weight. In my records I have actually recorded her weight and put question marks at the side of it because i thought the scales might be faulty. After the prelay shed, the female will become more active, looking for a place to lay her eggs. I found that Connie prefered a moss filled laybox (believe me I tried them all lol).

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

Edited by - kdlang on 31/01/2012 23:23:06
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  00:56:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you for your answers, and the links- what I was thinking was to give her a soak in the bath tomorrow in case it is just a poo, then if nothing comes of that and she still has the bulge, I guess I'm off to the pet shop for the moss stuff, in case she needs it.
i hope its a poo
I guess the moist hide goes in the warm end of the viv? a
the links don't cover what happens if she hangs onto eggs- Ive re-read kathy love and she mentions that snakes being egg-bound is almost always infertile ones- and it seems retained eggs are really dangerous- but i'm not up to syringing them empty as kathy love describes- its this possibility that's worrying me most, I think

(and thnak you both for not laffing at me being typically neurotic - i love all my snakes to bits but between them over the last few months theyve put me in panic mode pretty much every couple of weeks.

I'll let you know if anything interesting/scaary transpires...

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  07:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it was a really good question, i probably would have asked something similar, not just yet but in the future as i have a feeling this would be something lilly would do. She's growing really quickly anyway (i think she's going to be a big snake) and i can just imagine her to lay a clutch of infertile eggs, although at the moment she's only 150g and just short of 18 months old.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  01:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
stuck her in the bath- no poos- still ver7y blue and being very shy, poor baby- i offered her dinner despite blueyness and she nearly took my hand off-
I had a feel of her tum and theres no bumps or lumps that i can feel- she's not agitated or anything, very quiet, in fact...

am i over-reading pre-sheddiness???- I read that they can hang on to poos till during/after shed, bulgyness could be that? (thinking now i should have posted this particular neurosis in the health bit.....

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  13:48:07  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
They do often hang on to poo until they shed so I would certainly wait until she has shed before you worry too much about that.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  00:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thought i better pop this info here- quick update- the other evenning I made her jump (forgetting she can't see a thing atm, poor ole dear) and she did a big scared poop on the sofa....
ta-daaaaa!
(the amazing disappearing bulge)

she's currently just sitting in a damp hide, being sad...
aww

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  08:01:28  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Awwww bless her. Glad thats one worry out your way tho

0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000