Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  21:32:12  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi all,

Merlin the cat brought home a little long tailed field mouse today which is cute as a button, it has got a small puncture wound on it's shoulder which i've cleaned. I've popped it into a faun with a couple of hides and some food and water, I really thought it would suffer a heart attack and pass away but 8 hours on and it is out and about eating and drinking. I realise that I can still lose him to infection in the next couple of days but if he does survive the next few days how long should I keep him for before I release him, at the moment we have 2 - 3 inches of snow which looks to be settling in for the night.

Here's his little home.

And here he is

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  21:38:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
his so cute what a lucky escape he had! if he seems relaxed you could probably keep him untill the snow clears, if its only a small wound it should heal fairly quickly. if he can cope clean it daily to minimise the risk of infection, and hope he dosn't become too tame!! can we call him mr jingles untill he's released?

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  21:44:35  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Aww he is really cute. I'm glad he has survived so far. I don't think I would be able to release him until the snow cleared cos I would be too worried about him lol. I vote we name him Mr jingles too

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:16:33  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks both and Mr Jingles it is.

Jane.

Oscar Black Lab, Saffron, Merlin and Mischief the cats, assorted fish, Rhubarb & Custard the corns, Tuppence the Tortoise, Tripod the Leopard Gecko.
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  22:41:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr Jingles is one very lucky little field mouse and I too would be keeping him until the snow clears

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

nickyff
Yearling

507 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i think you'll find during the inclemency outside that mr jingles gets used to having room service and a maid on hand, and then when the weather clears up a bit it would be cruel to release what will effectively be a tamed animal...

I think you just expanded yr menagerie by one.....

congrats- he's really cute
(hope the shoulder wound is minor and heals easily)

and you thought there was no such thing as a stupid question....

1.2.0 corns: captain haddock, sharon the tiddler and Darling Debbie. plus 0.2.0 cali kings: spot and Numpty... not forgetting the delightful Miss Lovely-Gonzalez-La-Poop apricot pueblan milk snake, and we all miss the Lodger who thought he was a cobra....
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  23:24:09  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hee hee oh well always room for one more I guess.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  02:38:26  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
breed for snake food or use this one as snake food

afterall in the wild corn snakes have to eat what they can find,

and a very good friend of mine occassionaly his cat brings home a mouse for snakey to eat, and does so - after 5-6 years, no health issues whatsoever

EDIT: spell check

quote:
Originally posted by ozziesmum

Hee hee oh well always room for one more I guess.

Edited by - CentricMalteser85 on 05/02/2012 02:38:58
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:05:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could loose him to infection like pasteurella if your cat bit him :( I know it's deadly for birds. He is rather sweet though and very bold!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  09:42:37  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you Centricmalteser for your contribution but it's gone straight onto the NO pile.

Thank you Sta~ple, it was Merlins claw that caught him not a bite and because it bled 'm hoping that it would have pushed out any dirt that might have gone in. Infection will be the problem but I can only keep my fingers crossed on that one.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  10:41:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sometimes when cats want to play with the mice first they give them the gummy bite like if they were carrying a kitten, fingers crossed his claw didnt' go too deep

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, glad u've kept him inside & given him such a nice home! He's very cute, hope he gets on ok.

Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  11:24:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good work on rescuing him! I can't believe that he's out eating and drinking. I would definitely keep him until the snow is gone. Can I suggest moving him into a cold part of your house though? It will still be winter when he's released and he might get a shock to the system if he's been living in central heating.

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  13:10:26  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Kate good point, he's in the lounge at the minute as I wanted to keep him warm incase shock set in, I've checked him this morning and he's sleeping but most definitely alive, he's stocked his hide up with food during the night but I will move him onto the landing tonight once he wakes up and starts moving around.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  16:33:16  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would love it if he surprised you with babies :p it would be so cute. Your cats are a lot nicer than mine! Mine completely maul them dead with all their guts ect hanging out or they take off limbs so we have to get the shovel on them :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  16:45:25  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Oh no don't say that, mind I must admit I haven't seen any little boy bits so it's not totally out of the question. Merlin never kills anything he always carries his presents very carefully, the only reason he caught him with his claw was because mass murderer Mischief tried to take it steal it and Merlin whacked him with his paw and caught Mr Jingles, and Saffron never catches fur or feather frogs and fish for her but again always brought home alive and unharmed.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

lupi lou
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3670 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  17:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mice are hard to sex, not like hamsters where its really obvious! we made that mistake at college! unfortunaly mum had problems after the birth and died so poor babys ended up as hatchling food.

mr jingles could yet become mrs jingles!!

1.0.1 Corns
0.1.0 Dog: springer
1.0.0 Horse
0.4.0 Gerbils
2.2.0 Leopard gecko
0.2.0 Cave gecko
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2012 :  21:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ozziesmum

Thank you Centricmalteser for your contribution but it's gone straight onto the NO pile.

Hahaha, much love to you there!
Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  05:54:09  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
do you not think its a bit of a middle finger to your snakes?

have a look at what you could have won
Go to Top of Page

ozziesmum
Yearling

United Kingdom
736 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  12:13:27  Show Profile  Send ozziesmum a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Smiffy I think you misunderstood the question, I asked
"if he survives how long should I keep him for until he can be released"

you replied "
do you not think its a bit of a middle finger to your snakes?
have a look at what you could have won

I'm not seeing the connection unless I'm totally missing the point.

Jane.

Go to Top of Page

smiffy89
Hatchling

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2012 :  17:20:38  Show Profile  Click to see smiffy89's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i meant having a mouse in the house when you have snakes aswell(pictures mouse dancing around teasing snakes)
but please dont feed it to them as some numptys will suggest as this can cause serious health issues like DEATH to name 1.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000