Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  09:55:04  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey guys just a quckie im wondering what everyone reccomends in the way of thermometer probes basically i bought cheapy ebay ones before and im really starting to not trust them i figured id just replace the lot in one foul swoop does anyone reccomend any inparticular types of brands ?

Thanks in advance

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:22:51  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
all you need is a digital thermometre

most fish stockists have these (which are more common than high street reptile stores)

but they charge about a tenner, online I picked the same one up for £1.99 and pretty accurate

You can test the accuracy by using an infrared digital thermometre which you just point and aim and the heat mat and that gives you accurate temp which u can check against your digital one, and these costs about £20 upward depending on wear you buy them from.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LCD-Digital-Thermometer-Aquarium-Fish-Tank-Water-/260924148901?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item3cc04a8ca5

OR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer-/320669697113?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aa9674459

I used the one in the second link, simply because the one in first link I didn't see before
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:41:18  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Thats what ive been using digital thermometers theyve been fine up till now i boguth the cheap ones from ebay like in the above link but ive noticed lately they seem to be varying in their accuracy and its obviously a bit worrying id rather spend a few more quid and not worry than buy sub standard stuff

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  15:53:59  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
may I ask how you know they have been varying in accuracy?

Don't forget if you use two probes side by side, you essentially measuring from 2 different places albeit millimietres away

If it is out by 0 - 1 degree I would not say it is poor accuracy I would say if the difference of more than 1 would be poor accuracy

I have had no problems with accuracy of mine, and I have tested 3 and 2 were the same and the middle one was 0.3 out from the others

with heatmats they are continously heating up, unless statted, and so one part of the heat mat will get slightly warmer before the rest of it, usually where the mains cable connects to the heat mat

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  17:31:16  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ive been using several different thermometers at the same time on the mats and getting differnt readings i would expect to get maybe o.1-.05 difference depending on where im placing the probes but not 5 or 6 degrees ive replaced the mats now anyway i have found the ultratherm mats seem to be much more stable and fluctuate less than the ones i had which i think were climate mats but the differing thermometers are a tad worrying all of my matts are statted theres no way id considering using them without

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2012 :  17:56:30  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
good to know that your heat mats are statted, i had to ask as not all people use them sadly,

Without knowing how you tested I'm just going to suggest something

have heat mat on for 15 minutes or so on a stat

You need to leave the thermometres with the heat mat on, for at least 5 or 10 minutes, as some may take slightly longer to give a correct readback

of after 5 or 10 minutes the reading is like you said 5 degrees out then yeh there is an issue,

if not, and difference is minority of 0.1-0.5 or something then it just where you had to wait for the thermometres to calibrate

im not disagreeing by the way, I am just wondering
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  19:21:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rightyo thanks for the info i shall try again but no matter what i do one thermometer always gives me a higher reading grr bloody things i dont want to do away with them i know not everyone monitors them but i must check my temps probably half a dozen times a day lol
There is absolutely no way id consider NOT using a stat a £25 bit of kit thats potentially going to save me hundreds of pounds in vets bills and also (more importantly) prevent any harm coming to my pet its a no brainer to be honest

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  20:02:54  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i use these from here: http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  21:23:23  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks eeji i have a few of those and i have to say those are the ones that seem to be working i have some lil rectngular deisgned ones that seem to be the problem i figured if i just replace ALL of my themometers i can pretty much assume they will all be on the same page if you know what i mean

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2012 :  23:50:25  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting the link that eeji posted - http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

are EXACTLY the same including the brand name as the ones in my link from ebay (below)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Fish-Aquarium-Water-Terrarium-Thermometer-/320669697113?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item4aa9674459

but yet you said

quote:
Originally posted by paulie78

Thats what ive been using digital thermometers theyve been fine up till now i boguth the cheap ones from ebay like in the above link but ive noticed lately they seem to be varying in their accuracy and its obviously a bit worrying id rather spend a few more quid and not worry than buy sub standard stuff

and then you said after eeji posted the link

quote:

Thanks eeji i have a few of those and i have to say those are the ones that seem to be working i have some lil rectngular deisgned ones that seem to be the problem i figured if i just replace ALL of my themometers i can pretty much assume they will all be on the same page if you know what i mean

So I don't understand as you saying that they are not good and have a varied rang of temps on the same heat mat in the same place

but then you saying they are the ones that are in fact working properly?
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  09:26:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I use all the fortex ones. I did once start to question their accuracy so I bought an infrared thermometer to check the readings. The infrared was reading 2or 3 degrees higher than the thermometers so I turned all my stats down a bit. Then I decided to do an experiment and used 3 different thermometers (fortex, exoterra, and another cheap make) all reading from the same place on a mat and they all read the same within 0.5 degrees. The infrared was reading 2 or 3 degrees above all the other 3 so I decided to trust the majority.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  10:07:02  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CentricMalteser85

Interesting the link that eeji posted - http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

are EXACTLY the same including the brand name as the ones in my link from ebay (below)

but yet you said

Not all of my themometers are like those and i didnt say they were the same brand but they are the same shape and the probes designed the same i did say that i have some other rectangular shaped thermometers which are the ones seeming to be giving me the issues starting to wish id just kept my gob shut now

quote:

Thats what ive been using digital thermometers theyve been fine up till now i boguth the cheap ones from ebay like in the above link but ive noticed lately they seem to be varying in their accuracy and its obviously a bit worrying id rather spend a few more quid and not worry than buy sub standard stuff

and then you said after eeji posted the link

quote:

So I don't understand as you saying that they are not good and have a varied rang of temps on the same heat mat in the same place

but then you saying they are the ones that are in fact working properly?

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  10:12:11  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kdlang

I use all the fortex ones. I did once start to question their accuracy so I bought an infrared thermometer to check the readings. The infrared was reading 2or 3 degrees higher than the thermometers so I turned all my stats down a bit. Then I decided to do an experiment and used 3 different thermometers (fortex, exoterra, and another cheap make) all reading from the same place on a mat and they all read the same within 0.5 degrees. The infrared was reading 2 or 3 degrees above all the other 3 so I decided to trust the majority.

Thanks well i think it might just be the mats maybe as i swapped the brand as the cheaper ones i bought seemed to vary a great deal more than the more expensive model i was using on Eddies tank with exactly the same stat that said i really dont want to take any risks so ill just replace all the thermometers so they are all the same shape and brand ive ordered a new heat mat of the same design/brand etc as all my other mats just seems to be theese 6x11 mats that are the problem all 3 of them but i still get higher readings on the rectangular thermometers no matter what they are a minimum of 2-4 degrees higher

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  10:13:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
probably should mention theres no brandname on any of my thermomters the ones that look like those fortex ones you guys supplied links too just say aqaurium on the front (but were listed on ebay as vivarium thermometers)

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  14:06:48  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
you are missing my point

you state that the rectangular ones (with aquairum) are varying greatly in temps when I posted the link for them in ebay

You then said after eeji posted a link (which are exactly the same)

that they are working perfectly

so I am trying to understand the issue since you are confusing me and Im sure others

So I'll ask a simple question

are the rectangular digital thermometres with aquarium written on REGARDLESS of where they are bought from, varying in temperature by 1 - 5 degrees or not?

and I find them to be accurate, as does a couple of other users

Also, dont expect the temp on the digital thermometre to be the same as that on the thermostat, as the thermostat will be out due to being analogue, you just turn the dial on it until your digital thermometre reads between 80-85F

quote:

probably should mention theres no brandname on any of my thermomters the ones that look like those fortex ones you guys supplied links too just say aqaurium on the front (but were listed on ebay as vivarium thermometers)

Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  14:54:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering whether it could be related to old batteries in the units?
Would putting new batteries in make any difference?

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  18:59:56  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eeji

i use these from here: http://www.forttex.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=4

I use them too and that seller :) although I bought mine from his ebay shop as I never knew the dude had a proper website.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  19:38:11  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Centric all i asked was for anyone to reccomend a good reliable thermometer i spent days with various combinations of stats mats and thermometers i have a few of the rectangular design and a few like the ones shown above if you put the probes side by side (milimetres apart) the rectangular type will display a temp that is 1-5 degress hotter than any of the other thermomters
i know not to expect the temps on the stat to reflect that of the thermometer theres absolutely no need to be condescending i have not posted anything confusing if you read my previous posts i say i have been using several types i didnt say at any point all of my thermometers were EXACTLY like the fortex ones

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  19:47:51  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i wasnt being condescending

you said you used ones like mine in the ebay link and said these were out by a few degrees

eeji posted a link to fortex, and you then said these are working correctly

the ones i use and the ones eeji uses, are identical, but yet you are saying they are working and then they are not

that is what i was establishing

all digital thermometres are usually accurate

and i was giving advice about the thermostat simply because a lot of members worry on here that the dial does not usually meet with the digital thermometre reading

i apologise you took my post the wrong way and apologise if i was sounding condascending but be assured i was not
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  19:57:45  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ok apologies accepted i do get a lil defensive where my pets are concerned though i do id go without food if it meant buying something my animals needed so i dont know what happened there i must have confused myself somehow i have a few like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-LCD-Thermometer-Reptile-Vivarium-/280774767435?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects&hash=item415f7af34b

and a few like the ones you and eeji posted the ones in the link that i just posted seem to be the ones giving me the higher readings i know i waffle on a bit but couldnt see how i was being confusing i could have sworn i saw two different thermomters in those links lol lack of sleeps getting to me apologies for taking it the wrong way this is why i hate getting into debates/disccssions online things can be misread so easily

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2012 :  20:02:34  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
no need to apologise to me, im thick skinned lol

if you are sure the ones in YOUR link are higher than the rest, it would mean that these are in fact wrong, faulty etc etc

The only way to find out is

use one in the link me and eeji posted, the one in your link above, and then a completely different one. The one with the greatest difference is the faulty one

But 3 of us that I know of uses the ones in my ebay link and eeji's fortex link.

Ps Heatmats never an issue if they are thermostatted so I wouldnt worry about changing these
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000