New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  17:48:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright Guys and Gals,

Another dumb question. The guys at Pilbara Reptiles in Gloucester have told me to put the heat mat on the side of the viv/faun and not under it as it could cook the snake. What are your thoughts on it?

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Felicity (Flick) (Normal Het Albino BCI 0.1)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Maisie (Hypo het Albino BCI 0.1)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  17:56:48  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Heat mat with a properly set up thermostat and digital thermometer on the inside floor of the viv, under a scattering of substrate will NOT cook the snake.

The heat given off from a heat mat is not the same as a grill toaster.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 23/01/2012 17:58:55
Go to Top of Page

CentricMalteser85
Banned Again

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:04:00  Show Profile  Visit CentricMalteser85's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if it is a plastic faunarium, you can put inside on the floor but properly themrostatted as stated before

however sometimes even when themrostatted correctly it can cause the plastic to bend in time from the heat,

so as a precaution i suggest using a tile mat, place the heat mat on that, then one third of the faunarium over it, with the thermostat probe and digital thermometre probe inside the faunarium over the heated area

also i use a thin layer of substrate sort of sparingly for the warm side under the hide, jus a preference, but down to the keeper to decide
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:08:05  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It wont cook the snake if you have a thermostat, even if you put the heatmat on the side without a stat it could burn is snake slithers on it :/ heatmats kinda work by contact, just as an electric blanket warms the bed and covers but not the room itself therefore having it on the wall seems silly unless its throwing off silly amounts of heat.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome, the reptile shop I go in has some really really good stuff and they are renown in the area but have given me some duff advice. I'm thinking of getting a small sheet of glass and raising it off the ground slightly to go in the viv (when it turns up). Cheers guys!

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:43:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep,as said above,if a heatmat isn't statted it'll cause burns wherever its placed. If statted theres no issue. I have 7 of my snakes in tubs/RUBS placed on top of heatmats and theres no issues at all.
Corns will get their heat from the ground thats been warmed by the sun in the wild.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  18:45:23  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i use pilbara occasionally an this is the only thing that gets me about them, as said mats are contact heaters so for something to get heat from it it has to touch it, ive never seen a snake manage to curl up on the side or back of a viv yet. a mat mounted that way will only be any use to warm the air up, an even then it will only manage it to a few degrees higher.

a stated mat on the bottom will cause no issues what so ever, thats the way most caresheets say to use it an its how most the majority of people use them

0.1.0 creamsicle corn-Marmalade
1.0.0 jungle carpet python-Bumble
1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  19:35:20  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

................heatmats kinda work by contact, just as an electric blanket warms the bed and covers but not the room itself therefore having it on the wall seems silly unless its throwing off silly amounts of heat.

Brilliant analogy, I shall remember that and steal it to use as my own in the future. Not really, I shall credit to you

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  21:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've moved it under and the tank is soo much warmer, the stat is at 29-30 degrees, (the thermom is in the post). I got Frank out earlier (before I moved the mat) and he was very cold to the touch and didn't really move much for a while... Just sat there, then he got up my sleeve and sat there for a bit. After that he was his normal perky self. So definitely a good move there I thinks!

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2012 :  23:11:48  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
redshiftspec..... have you been to the rep place in ross??

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  00:48:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I was in there the other day. I Live in Hereford so go past Ross to get to Gloucester. It seems cool, got a limited selection of non live stock but they have a good display. I like going over to Pilbara purely because of the massive massive dog and its nice to look at all the dwa stuff.....

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

a33272
our battery charger

United Kingdom
3063 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  09:23:16  Show Profile  Visit a33272's Homepage  Send a33272 an AOL message  Click to see a33272's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ive only ever seen the sign when passing have never got in there yet, must try to next time in that way. haha yeah he is a big dog german shepherd i think, but not to good on dog breds....

did you ever go to pilbara when it was at Newent under differant name?

1.0.0 corn Casper

Go to Top of Page

Redshift Spec
Hatchling

379 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  11:32:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A long time ago with my mate who lived in Worcester and had a few snakes. I was extremely hung over at the time. ;)

Frank (Amel Corn 1.0)
Jack (Sunglow BCI 1.0)
Silver (Snow Corn 0.1)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  18:48:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr
Brilliant analogy, I shall remember that and steal it to use as my own in the future. Not really, I shall credit to you

I feel like a snake at night :p I have my electric blanket and I'm sat in bed getting all warm looking at my snakes :P

quote:
Originally posted by Redshift Spec

Awesome, the reptile shop I go in has some really really good stuff and they are renown in the area but have given me some duff advice. I'm thinking of getting a small sheet of glass and raising it off the ground slightly to go in the viv (when it turns up). Cheers guys!

We have a place like that here, highly rated by everyone and known well for their good (well I wouldn't know, people rant and rave it's good XD) burm/redtail/big snake advise but when it comes to smaller, more common pet snakes like corns, they are a bit clueless!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000