bug worrys
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  21:49:16  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
just went to look at my lil ones and change their water and noticed a couple of tiny grey bugs crawling around. their about 1/2 big absolutely tiny. i just looked at the mite section and they dont look them. ive checked the snakes nothing on them. none have been bathing in their bowls. please tell me these arent mite ive caught 4 or 5 of them to takw to the shop tomoz but want to get quick advice. ive emptyed out the substrate and put paper in as replacement.

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle
soon to have female pin royal

R.I.P SHELLY

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  21:49:57  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sprintails maybe?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  21:50:37  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
forgot to say ive not added any thing in there withing a year everything is as it always has been apart from a mdf divider from b&q

0.1.0 Amels (sid) 1.0.0 carolina stripe (simon)0.1.0 ghost (silva) 1.1.0 diffused/bloodreds (scarlet and samson)
1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:04:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i had a simular problem and what my friends thought it was, was a mite that lived in the substrate, so now what i do is blast all my beech chip in the cooker for abit and put it in a separate container
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought that. silverfish the same thing? you got pics?

Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
99% chance that they are just harmless (but beneficial) springtails.

Compare with pics in this post.

http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18297

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:20:46  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
im still not sure ill TRY and get a pic

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:52:07  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote

this is my impresson on what im looking at

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:53:57  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  23:10:32  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pretty sure it is springtails from your sketch. I panicked, just like you , when I first discovered them. They are harmless to the snakes and generally keep the substrate 'tidy'.

Easiest way to get rid of them is just to change the water and clean the dish. They lay eggs in the water so if it is changed every day they will eventually die off.

If you just want rid of them, clean out the viv and disinfect with a 10% bleach solution and rinse. Treat all the hides and furniture to a good scrub. Leave the viv empty for a couple of days to dry off before setting it up again with new substrate.

Keep the snakes in temporary RUBs, small secure plastic boxes will see them over the eradication time.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.

Edited by - Auld Baldy on 17/01/2012 23:12:17
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  23:25:16  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
well ive emptyed the vivs put newspaper in them. if there harmless the ill just wash the vivs a scrub down. im gonna leave the news paper in the for proof of breedings any way

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  13:04:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does sound like springtails. I have had these appear in pretty much all my vivariums now, they only seem to hang around the water bowl and are totally harmless. Unfortunately providing snakes a perfect environment also provides our native bugs an environment where they thrive. You will from time to time get springtails they like moisture so they are less likely to make a low humidity vivarium a home but high humidity set ups will quickly become colonised. They are beneficial though they eat mould and muck keeping things clean, my crested Gecko vivarium has very high humidity and I had a few issues with mould but not since the springtails turned up.

Thats a springtail

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lordv/94484378/in/set-590338/

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 18/01/2012 13:05:39
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the replies i took a handfull down to my local shop that i caught and he comformed everything was already. not that i didnt believe any just wanted some one to see them for themself thanks everyone

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  19:42:31  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Easiest way to get rid of them is just to change the water and clean the dish. They lay eggs in the water so if it is changed every day they will eventually die off.

Agreed. I have springtails in my viv 50% of the time every time I do a viv change now. Still makes you feel icky though :(

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  20:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had them in my vivs. Didn't get them until I started using Auboise so have gone back to kitchen roll and now there is no sig of them. I did find them in the bale of Auboise so dumped that as well. I don't mind bugs in their rightful place but hate the thought of them in with the snakes.

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  22:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lotabob

Does sound like springtails. I have had these appear in pretty much all my vivariums now, they only seem to hang around the water bowl and are totally harmless. Unfortunately providing snakes a perfect environment also provides our native bugs an environment where they thrive. You will from time to time get springtails they like moisture so they are less likely to make a low humidity vivarium a home but high humidity set ups will quickly become colonised. They are beneficial though they eat mould and muck keeping things clean, my crested Gecko vivarium has very high humidity and I had a few issues with mould but not since the springtails turned up.

Thats a springtail

Maybe its because I've never had issues with them,but I think they look really cute!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  23:25:08  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mort13

quote:

Thats a springtail

Maybe its because I've never had issues with them,but I think they look really cute!

Try when they are crawling in the holes, the bright plastic hides and the viv glass... and then you see them on you and then tell me they are cute.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  23:40:10  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
lol i itched for hours after cleaning my vivs out last night. even thou i washed my hands 3 times

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  13:07:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh they are totally harmless and they are a bit cute. If they got on you they'd only eat your mouldy bits, lol.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

marc_sg
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  16:38:05  Show Profile  Send marc_sg an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh they are totally harmless and they are a bit cute. If they got on you they'd only eat your mouldy bits, lol.

lovely thought cheers lol

1.0 staffy x beagle

R.I.P SHELLY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000