New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  12:24:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I'm new to snake keeping and was just wondering whether it is possible to use one of those adapter things and plug more than one heat mat into my mat stat? I understand that I can't exceed the wattage rating of the mat stat, currently only have a 7W mat plugged into my 100W mat stat.
I also assume it is probably advisable that additional mats plugged in should be the same.
I only ask as currently have two set ups each with a mat stat, but was thinking if I could plug more than one into each mat stat I could get more set ups - Addiction setting in

0.0.2 Corn snakes - Morse & Zeus
1.1.0 Brazillian Rainbow Boa's - Indigo & Ruby
0.0.2 Columbian Rainbow Boa's - Orinoco & Tobago
1.0.0 House snake - Hoggle
0.1.0 Crested Gecko - Ludo
2.0.0 cats (RIP Zebee), 0.1.0 Dog, 2.0.0 Horses

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  13:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can indeedy :>
Two of my matstats have two heatmats plugged into them! Also picked up a nice little product, a heatmat with the thermostat built into it, can't wait to try it out!
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  16:42:42  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

You can indeedy :>
Two of my matstats have two heatmats plugged into them! Also picked up a nice little product, a heatmat with the thermostat built into it, can't wait to try it out!

ooh whered you get the heat mat with the built in stat ?

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, I can feel that my numbers may increase
Thanks for answer Spreebok and like Paulie78 asked, who makes the heat mat with the built in thermostat and where did you get it from?

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:51:41  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My only fear with pluggin multiple mats into one stat is that only one of the mats would have the thermostat probe on. If one of the other mats were to overheat for any reason then there wouldn't be anything to shut it off.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  18:29:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
@Paulie They started stocking them at my Local Reptile Shop, Exeter Exotics! They come from Australia, so an import jobby, but they look good!

@Kdlang Yeah, there are risks, but so long as you keep thermometers on both to monitor them, you should be okay. I've been using doubled up stats for nearly a year now, and they never differ in for than 0.5 degrees max.
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  20:08:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have thermometers on both my set ups, but being a newbie to snake keeping I will prob stick to a mat stat for each set up for now - don't think I would feel confident enough to risk the chance of a mat over heating.
Thanks for the answers and advice :)

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  22:01:26  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i must admit i do use muliple mats on one stat but what i did learn is the set up for the snakes has to be almost identical
for the tempretures to be the same (ish) eg a small faunarium and a 3ft viv attached to the same stat, this usually gives totally different readings on the thermometers that are placed on the heat mat :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
0.1.0 anery motley het amel, hypo - Bo
1.0.0 vanishing stripe unknown - Marley
1.0.0 hogg island boa - Iggy
0.1.0 hogg island boa - Luna
0.1.0 royal python - Buttons!
1.0.0 royal python 66% het albino - Steve
0.1.0 leopard gecko - Sheila
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  22:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's all be honest it's not really on, you're effectively running mats with no control as kd rightly points out. If you want multiple corns do the right thing and look after them properly and purchase multiple stats.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  00:27:46  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Spreebok

@Paulie They started stocking them at my Local Reptile Shop, Exeter Exotics! They come from Australia, so an import jobby, but they look good!

@Kdlang Yeah, there are risks, but so long as you keep thermometers on both to monitor them, you should be okay. I've been using doubled up stats for nearly a year now, and they never differ in for than 0.5 degrees max.

Thanks mate im in taunton but go to exeter from time to time so ill have to see if i can find the shop are they expensive ? as a habistat stat is only 25 quid lol
Im a born worrier so its seperate stats all the way for me the extra cost is worth the piece of mind i have not having to worry about overheating mats lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  02:03:07  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
umm yeh like i think i sed thermometers read the temps.... that u need to achieve as long as those temps are monitored everything should be ok i do change my snakrs water every day as it allows me to make sure there temps/poop picking oh and the snakes genral health are ok.

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  02:25:00  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
and... call me daft but if one heatmat overheats then if its attached to the same thermostat the other one also over heats? but isnt that why i bought a thermostat in the 1st place???????
to control the temps? it turns on and off and on and off and on and off.... you get my point the thermostat controls the heat the thermometers read it :)

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  03:26:31  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyd_26

and... call me daft but if one heatmat overheats then if its attached to the same thermostat the other one also over heats? but isnt that why i bought a thermostat in the 1st place???????
to control the temps? it turns on and off and on and off and on and off.... you get my point the thermostat controls the heat the thermometers read it :)

The problem would be if the mat that has the thermostat probe on it stops working for some reason, it will go cold so the thermostat won't switch off causing the other mat attached to that thermostat to overheat.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Blackcat
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1235 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2012 :  09:23:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Question answered: yes it is possible, but not sensible or responsible.
Mat stats on each set up it will be, for the sake of £25 it isn't worth the risk to my snakes wellbeing.
Thanks everyone

Go to Top of Page

mikeyd_26
Yearling

United Kingdom
716 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  22:51:52  Show Profile  Click to see mikeyd_26's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
thistle... good argument! makes sense however i dont believe my snakes are in any danger and i did ask on this forum how to set multiple mats with one stat and i got advice and instructions from people more experienced than my self who some of which have beign on this site along time and also said they do it themselves. ive had my snakes nearly 2 years on multiple mats with one stat and not had 1 problem with temps

0.1.0 amel - TaLuLa
millions of beardies!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic