New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  14:16:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok so this sound sill i know lol i have 6 corns that i love loads 5 i handle every day not a prob the 1 boy i have had for 4 years well thats a dif matter lol my daughter (11) gets him out not a prob but when it comes to me getting him out he jumps like mad turns to strike (never got me tho) when he is out all is fine lol i hjave had him since he was about 5 weeks old never befor had a prob with him i can put my had in his viv he dont care he will move over my hand not a prob its only when i touch him lol. it was only when we moved house he started acting this way my other 5 are fine my big girl ive had near the same amount of time and she is a big softie and all my younger ones are fine as well any advice would be really good ty

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  16:38:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a rubbish answer I'm afraid and another question to boot but what does your daughter do that you are not? It may be that the move spooked him and he went all aggro at you while he was unsettled and now you've lost your confidence with him and its actually your hesitance causing him to act up. Try to remember you are the boss and you are picking him up irrelevant of how he reacts, he'll soon learn been all naughty doesn't have any effect.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  18:47:20  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Totally wild shot in the dark but silly sounding puzzles sometimes have strange answers. What type of carpets are in your new house?? Told you is was a wild one.

It could be that you are building up a mild static electrical charge from walking on synthetic content carpets and giving a mild shock when you touch him.

Try fitting new higher quality carpets throughout your new home. This may seem an expensive option but the welfare of your snakes is a priority.

OR:

Other reasons could be hand cream, residual odour from something which you have recently handled or just that you have cold fingers.

Try touching your hands to the cold water tap. This will discharge any static. Give your hands a good scrub and make sure they are warm.
Walk barefoot to the viv and introduce yourself to Mr. Snakey. See if that helps. Walking barefoot will avoid friction from your slippers generating static.

I'm suggesting static as a possibility as I had the nickname of "Lightning Man" from when I worked in a print studio. I always picked up static from one of the print machines and could just about knock a pony on its back with the discharge from my fingers. Just imagine how popular I was when I snuck up on folk and tapped them on the neck. Evil he-he!! The flash was absolutely spectacular.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  21:53:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Auld Baldy

Totally wild shot in the dark but silly sounding puzzles sometimes have strange answers. What type of carpets are in your new house?? Told you is was a wild one.

It could be that you are building up a mild static electrical charge from walking on synthetic content carpets and giving a mild shock when you touch him.

Try fitting new higher quality carpets throughout your new home. This may seem an expensive option but the welfare of your snakes is a priority.

Sooooo showing this to OH

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  22:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Disclaimer: Information and advice is for information only. I cannot be held liable for mis-use, abuse or any other use to which it is put.

Visiting times at the casualty ward will be announced after the OH gets his mitts on me.

Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  23:42:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ty all for the advice carpets sorry cant tell u want they made from but to carpet 3 bed rooms a living room and stairs cost near £2000 so they where not cheap lol i do always use a hand sanatiser befor holding any of my snakes could this be the prob i dont know what my daughter does that i dont lol she just opens his viv says hi grump and out he comes i open his viv say hi grump and pick him up i get 1 stiff snake that jumps like mad lol yes now im prob a bit scared of him silly i know what with having him from a baby lol ...................to the last to coments did i put this post in the wrong place lol im at a loss to what u on about lol ty again all

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  00:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sue, disregard the last two comments. It's just us being silly beggars. Bluebird will always look for excuses to spend her hubby's hard earned cash.

Try leaving him for a week to settle, just stick to changing the water and spot cleaning. As lotabob says, he might be spooked after the move. After a week, don't let your daughter handle him. You do the lift out and handling until he starts acting normally. I'm sure he will get back to his old self but you will need to regain your own confidence too.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  01:05:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you have better luck with your snake, OH wasnt impressed bout the new carpet idea!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  01:34:57  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lol! Did you really think you stood a chance? Ha-ha!

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  01:47:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sadly no, but it was worth a go lol

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2012 :  20:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol thatnks for the help all i will hold my nurve and try and do as much as i can no more being chicken lol thanks again all

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  01:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please dont think about it and just go for it! we are all rooting you on!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  02:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I still say that the carpets are the cause. I'll happily come round and remove them .... and sell them on to bluebird.

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  07:33:49  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Just another couple of thoughts. Do you handle the other snakes before him? Could be he is picking up their scent off of you. Does your daughter use the hand sanitiser before handling him? Might be an idea to try to just wash your hands normally without the sanitiser and see if that helps. I used to worry that the sanitiser I was using was disguising my scent so I would rub my hands on by belly to try and remove the smell of it lol. Sounds weird and don't know if it made any difference lol.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  08:46:41  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
One of mine is like that, its just how some are.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

sue2012
Hatchling

United Kingdom
391 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2012 :  00:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the daughter uses the same stiff as me we have always used it just to be sure lol well looks like im going to have to spend a few day just going for it im sure if i get over myself i will be fine lol wimp i know thanks for the help all oh and i think ill be keeping the carpets for now thanks all the same lmaro

1.0 Caroliner - Ozzy
1.0 caramel
Bloodred - Damon
0.1 sulfor - Stella
0.1 moonstone - letti
1.0 lavender - tazz
0.1 amber opal - salt
0.2 cats buffy & narla
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom