New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Linde
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  01:25:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep my first post an it seems to be in the Snake Heath Forum, nice way to introduce myself.
Anyway, I currently have a 7 month old male corn, I'm not to sure of his weight but he is around 1 and a half feet long. He lives currently in a RUB (I'll need to find out correct sizing for it.) He has 2 hides one at each end and the temps are 21 at cool side and 29.5 - 30 on the warmer side. Heating is controlled by a thermostat and I also use a thermometer at either end. I just use kitchen paper as a substrate.
Now I think he has the begin of an R.I due to the fact that I can hear a popping/clicking noise when I hold him close to my ear, there doesn't seem to be any mucus around his nostrils and his mouth looks fine, there is no wheezing just an occasional popping sound he's also rubbiong his nose along the sides of the RUB. This morning after I left for work I got a call from my dad to say that The electricity had run out so would I get some when I got home, that would have been 8 hours after that phone call leaving my little guy with no heat, so thankfully my boss let me leave then and there to get electricity, (even got one of the guys to give me a lift!) so he was with out heat today for around 1 hour, he also just shed around 45 mins ago, while I was taking out the shed and giving the RUB a clean I noticed that he had pooped but it had a orange blob in it, not rusty red it was orange so now I'm starting to worry a little, I plan to take him to the vets once I get paid on Friday but I'm worried that I won't be able to get him seem until after X-mas? So any ideas what to do in the meantime and is it possibly an R.I?
Thanks,
Linde

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  20:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The clicking is most likely due to loose shed in/around the nostrils, a sneeze type reaction to clear the nostrils. Specially with the shed happening just after this was noticed. (snakes do strange things in the lead up to a shed). Without any other symptoms of an RI, gasping, mucus etc then I would just keep an eye/ear on him for a few days and see if the clicking has stopped.

1 hour without heat also wouldn't do any harm, corns come from an area where it can drop quite cold so I wouldn't worry, as long as you dont feed a cornsnake that has no heat and its not like that for days then it will be absolutley fine, maybe just a bit sluggish until they warm up a bit.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  11:30:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had this with one of my snakes a bit ago. Could hear clicking sounds coming from him. Turns out it was due to him going into shed. Have you heard the clicking sounds from yours since he's shed?
As for the orange blob,do you have any pics.....gross I know. The first thing that sprang to my mind was a slug (infertile egg). Is your snake definitely male and definitely that young?

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  19:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said, popping and clicking in the runup/during a shed is usually just loose shed in the nostrils, my carolina suffers terribly with it, he sounds so awful! I occasionally check his mouth for any signs of RIs if he's particularly bad, but it's always just shed.
Go to Top of Page

Linde
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  02:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies guys, The popping has stopped, nothing to be heard! :)
The clicking noise did continue for a around a few hours maybe after he shed. Yep he defenetly is a male and that young, he was bred by a friend so I know the date he hatched. I don't have any pics of it as I popped it in the bin soon after (silly I know.) but it was bright orange.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  20:42:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm thinking it may have been sperm plugs, my Royal is producing these at the moment, and they are quite orange. They can come off with a shed. Not got any experience of this in a corn snake but maybe someone has and chirp in with their knowledge (or just have a google and see if they look familiar).

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000