New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

zandefloss
Hatchling

United Kingdom
245 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  07:06:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there, I took my snake spaghetti to the pet shop today for her Christmas holidays.

For the past 6 months or so she has been eating 1 jumbo mouse once a month (every 3 weeks) She's 2 1/2 years old and nearly 5 foot (it's hard to tell, she is very wiggly :)

She is active on an evening, exploring etc and she poos from around 5-14 days after a feed.

However the pet shop has told me I should be feeding 1 jumbo, once a week and she is looking very underweight?

I was being careful not to overfeed her as she loves her mice and I've seen the overfeeding thread on here and was concerned :S

What does anyone think?

I'm sorry that this is the most recent pic :(

I am so worried I have been harming her, she means the World to me!

zan

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  07:27:01  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
She diesnt look underweight to me. There are some descriptions somewhere similar to this.

Tobelerobe Shape: Underweight
Loaf of Bread Shape: Ideal weight
Round Shape: Fat

I think a better idea would be to feed her one large mouse every 7-10 days. But others may shed better light than I, I'm still fairly new to snakes and mine is still on fuzzies.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  07:27:27  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
She certainly doesn't look underweight from that picture to me. Corn snakes are supposed to be slimline, unfortunately these days people are so used to seeing obese corns that they think that is how they should be.

A jumbo mouse once a week is far too much for an adult corn.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

oakleyman18
Yearling

828 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  09:07:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I agree, echoing the other comments, I dont think she's too thin. A large mouse nearly every two weeks is usually fine, although snakes differ. A jumbo mouse every week is too much. Plus you'd only get a couple of days handling time because it'd take an age to digest!

Oscar Morrell
0.1.0. Tessera het Caramel Diffused Hypo ph Amel Anery CB'12 "Cassi", 0.1.0. Diffused Powder CB'12 "Ruby"
0.1.0. Normal Stripe, het Hypo, Amel, Lavender CB'11 "Amber", 1.0.0. Lavender Stripe het Diffused Anery Amel Hypo CB'11 "Pluto"
1.0.0. Hypo Opal Ph Stripe CB'12 "Hops", 1.0.0. Caramel Stripe het Amel CB'08 "Jasper", 1.0.0. Opal Stripe het Anery CB'09 "Topaz"
0.1.0. Amel Stripe het Caramel CB'09 "Poppy", 0.1.0. Tessera het Amel Lavender Stripe ph Diffused Hypo Anery CB'12 "Amethyst"
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  10:34:12  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I think spaghetti looks great hun. I feed one of my adults a jumbo every 3 weeks and he is fine. I like to weigh mine once a month just to keep an eye on their weight. If they are putting on too much or not putting on enough then I adjust their feeding accordingly. Also, I have noticed mine have been alot less active lately and I havent handled them as much as I have previously so I have reduced all their feeding slightly

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  16:20:22  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Jumbo every week will give you a royal sized cornsnake. I think petshops see royals and think that corns would be that fat too. Jumbo every 2 weeks is probably more than enough for most adult corns so every week is just going to be way too much.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 19/12/2011 :  23:03:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a good idea to tell the person at the pet shop to have a look on here, might stop someone else being told the same thing?

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  20:41:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A jumbo every three weeks sounds OK to me and if that feeding routine is working for you and as the snake is fully grown not gaining weight or losing it then I don't see a problem with it.

From the picture Spag looks a lovely healthy shape, nice rounded back, straight sides, you definitely wouldn't want it any bigger than that. In fact scrap that I'm going to recommend you immediately make arrangements for that extremely beautiful snake to be couriered to me ASAP, I just think its for the best

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

ILoveNoodleXD
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  08:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to say your snake is called spaghetti and mine Noodle x)

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  11:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I echo what everyone else has said there. She looks great.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2011 :  19:51:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My adult corn gets fed a jumbo every two weeks, but occasionally I give it a 'break' and feed him one a month, he's happy enough! Spaghetti looks fine to me! :>
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000