Shedding problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

auzzy
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  08:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, I have a corn snake a few months old which shed for the first time (I've only had him 2 weeks). The skin came off whole except for 3-4cm at the tail, which I managed to remove a few days later following the advice on this forum. My snake visibly looks fine now, however I'm still concerned there is a few milimetres right at the tip that was not removed (the shed I removed had a tiny hole at the end, rather than closing to a point).

This is my first snake so I'm not really sure what is normal yet. The tail is so small and thin at the end, how can I tell if all the skin has been removed? Does it sound like I should be concerned?

Thanks in advance, Auzzy

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  10:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
if you feel there is any retained shed on the snake then what to do is wet a towel with luke warm water and wring it out slightly. So the towel is just damp. Then let the snake slither through it a few times. This should hopefully remove any retained shed you are worried he still might have

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

mohikan22
Snake Mite

33 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2011 :  10:35:45  Show Profile  Visit mohikan22's Homepage  Reply with Quote
i can second his answer above me, its what i have had to do to two of my snakes recently. it works, i used a damp towel and had them run through my hands/towel a few times. loosens off, IF it fails leave a damp flannel/towel in with your snake, that worked for my smaller norm morph

Go to Top of Page

auzzy
Snake Mite

4 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  08:35:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mamma, Mohikan,

Thank you for your advice. It was a little difficult to tell how much was left, but the method seemed to work well, and my snake has been looking healthy since.

Much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000