New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rosslewisbrown
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  07:58:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a first time corn snake keeper and I'm having a bit of trouble with mine, she keeps regurgitating her meals.

When we bought her, she regurgitated on the way home in the car, but the shop said not to worry as she had been fed her first fuzzie that week so it might have been a bit big for her.

So we left it a week then fed her one pinkie, which she ate...then two days later regurgitated. The cycle continued and we got her back on track for for 3 or 4 feeds she was fine.

We went away at New Year for 4 nights, so we took her with us in the car. She was due a feed when we got there, so we fed her (by this time she was on two pinkie mice). That night, she regurgitated again.

So, it's now the 20th, we've given her 10 days since her last meal and fed her on Wednesday night. I've woke up this morning and discovered she's regurgitated again - can anyone tell me why?

One thing I have noticed is it's usually after 48 hours that she regurgitates and they're more or less in the same state they were before she ate them, very little digestion.

I've tried everything, covered 3 sides of the plastic vivarium with paper so she feels more secure, I've put in small branches with leaves etc so she feels sheltered and can have a climb if she wants but nothing seems to work :(

Sorry for the long post but I'm totally lost here - I asked the shop but all they said was "bring her in and we'll swap her for you" which obviously we don't want... We want HER!

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  08:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
have you tried cutting the pinkies into smaller amounts? it seems the stomach is the issue. maybe cut it in half an d see how that goes with no disruptions to her till you see her deficate and its not come back up... if that works then continue and bgradually give her bigger pieces. they can go a while without eating so the small bits will be fine once a week till you feel safer bout it.

hope all goes well x

Go to Top of Page

rosslewisbrown
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  08:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing is, she's eaten them before without a problem and the records from the shop show that she was eating well so I'm not sure if it's stress related.

I'll try her on half pinkies and see how that goes. I know it sounds daft but do I cut them in half lengthways or through the middle and give her either a head or a tail?
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  09:33:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of set up do you have for her?
Could you tell us the temperatures and how she's heated etc?

She could have been stressed by the moving about.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  09:38:52  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What are the temps like in the viv? Is the heat source stat'd? How quickly after regurge are you feeding again? You should be waiting at least 10 days! When you went away you should have left get at home, that will have stressed her out.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  12:43:53  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Definitely need to know more about your set-up. How big is your snake, how old? What size tank is she in? How are you heating it? How are you regulating the heat? How are you measuring the heat? What substrate is she on? How do you normally feed her?

Do you weigh her regularly? If so is she losing any weight? If not then get her out and weigh her? Keep a record of this so you can note if she is losing weight. Then don't handle her at all except for weighing every couple of weeks until she has had a least 3 consecutive feeds. I would wait 2 weeks before trying her again and just try her with 1 pinkie.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000