Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Adeymoo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:11:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning

Whilst digging over the paths at the allotment I unearthed a Corn Snake sleeping in the long grass. It was, and is still groggy. I have lined a lidless container with asparagus ferns, put the snake in, and laid the long grass over. It is now in the shed with a coat wrapped around the container but it can get out if inclined.

What should I do now. Do I relocate it to another area of long grass or keep it in the shed. Would any long grass do.
Does it wake up to feed in the winter. When will it become active and try and escape the shed if kept there.
Any advise would be great. Taking it home as a pet would surely result in a short life with my children.

Thanks

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:15:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Ideally it needs to be kept in a secure container (with air holes) and taking somewhere warm. Then you'll need to contact a rescue centre in your area (if there are any). Possibly the RSPCA. It'll be groggy due to the temperature outside. Its possible its someones escapee.

EDIT: They are not native to this country so are used to warmer climates. Dont try to feed it either. With out the correct heat it will only cause problems at this stage.

Others may be able to give better guidance.

EDIT 2: Try your local reptile shops for aid. Tell them what you've found they may be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Reptile Crazy - 45 Cannerby Lane, Sprowston, Norwich, Norfolk, NR7 8NG - 01603 410007

Norwich Reptile Company - 44b City View Road, Norwich, Norfolk, NR6 5HA - 01603 425625

Just a couple there to try.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 08/12/2011 09:33:50
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:32:43  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree with the above, you should really try and catch him and get a container as these animals are not native and should not be loose. Reptile shop is probably your best bet for help once you catch him.

If I were you I'd catch him and have him as a pet, they make great pets.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:35:54  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Having read the Norwich Reptile Company website they do take in rescue cases. Last paragraph on the link below. I would say they are your best bet.

http://norwich-reptiles.co.uk/

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

Adeymoo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the replies.

The snake is currently in a bucket in my shed which I filled with asparagus ferns and grass clod and surrounded the bucket with a fleece. The snake can still get out if it desires.

I read that corn snakes can live upto 6000 feet altitude and wintery conditions will hibernate or go through a process of partial hybernation if the climate is warmer.

Can this snake be left to live in the wild? It seems to of survived so far, even my errant fork.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  09:48:14  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Cant really survive in the wild in this country. Not with our temperatures. It native to the southern states of the US which are much warmer than here.

Phoning and taking it to the reptile shop is the best option for its survival you have. They will be happy to take it in. Leaving it in the wild is sentencing it to death with our winter coming up.

They are cold blooded animals and when the freezing weather comes it will potentially freeze and cystralise their blood, resulting in death.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah

Edited by - Simmy_82 on 08/12/2011 09:52:34
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:10:43  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What a find! I hope you find somewhere for it (says the guy who works in Poringland, 5 minutes from Norwich )

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:23:28  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Best thing you can do is take the lil fella to one of the reptile shops listed it likely wouldnt survive our winter and even if it did its not a native species and could pose a risk to our native wildlife so shouldnt really be re released back into the wild

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  10:54:18  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I would do as the others have suggested and take it to a reptile shop. I would also advertise locally that it has been found as it is most likely someones escaped pet and I'm sure they will be delighted that it is still alive. It's a shame you are so far away from me as I would have looked after it until its owner could be found.
Is there anyone from here who would be willing to care for it

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:00:36  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Again i would have but also to far away.

The reptile shop listed stats it takes them in. Ring them!

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:18:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As said above,if you have a spare tub of any kind that you could put some holes in and put the snake in that would be best. Making sure the lid is secure. I'd take him that shop where they'll get it warmed up and also ask around your neighbourhood.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want in any way to sound patronising to what experience you have, but are you sure this is a corn snake? I only ask because compost heaps are often a good natural home for grass snakes/ slow worms, which are native to this country. The compost gets quite warm indeed at the centre, and provides a good place to shelter from the cold of winter and a safe haven for hatchlings/ yearlings.

Seeing as you found the snake on an allotment where you could typically find compost, I just thought I'd ask thatb you weren't taking a native snake from it's environment, as I believe you can get into trouble for disturbing certain species of reptile in the UK.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:43:41  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
please do not release it for two main reasons - 1: the snake is unlikely to survive the UK winter, and 2: releasing non native animals is illegal and it can harm the local ecosystem.

I'm guessing from the above posts that you're in Norwich, surely there is someone on the forum local with the correct knowledge and equipment that can help out and get this animal secured and healthy before it gets out again?

If not, then I have to echo others and say take it to a local reptile shop (not just an average 'furry only' pet shop as they may not know what to do) or have a word with Denise at Reptile Rescue Den who has a national network of rescuers that can help (contact via http://www.reptilerescueden.org/Contact.html )

Good luck with him, and please keep us updated how you get on :)

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Adeymoo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  11:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emmy1

A good point about if it is a Corn Snake. I can safey say that the snake looks exactly like the top right image of Mort13 photo gallery.

Thanks for all the comments about limited survival in our winter, releasing non native animals as illegal, and contact details to re-house this pretty snake. This has been a great help and would never of guessed there was such a knowledgable and enthusiastic community.

I take your points that it would make a great pet but it would not survive my kids methods of handling animals.

cheers
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  12:23:32  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Let us know how you get on.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  16:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm interested to know if it was a corn or not, if it was was, glad you found it and asked what to do

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  18:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let us know how it turns out

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)

Edited by - Okeetee Mick on 08/12/2011 18:23:48
Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  19:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in the meantime i'd bring it into the warm, near radiator perhaps?, maybe a plastic box (with a secure lid and air holes) filled with newspaper if you have one? toilet roll tube for a hide, boom.. you're done. maybe you can educate your kids on snakes :)

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page

smart bunny
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5091 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  20:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keep checking this thread to find out what happened.. I hope little corn snake is OK! Please let us know!

Go to Top of Page

Adeymoo
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
7 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:12:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Garrie has hinted he works close to Norwich, and I am willing to pass on the snake to a proper snake enthusiast.

I will checkup on the little guy tomorrow before making a few calls to the numbers provided.

A quick question: if I bring the snake into the warmth how quickly will it require feeding/

Go to Top of Page

adamasrc
Hatchling

United Kingdom
255 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  21:18:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
dont worry about feeding it, generally people feed their snakes once a week but they can go for longer

0.1.0 Buttercorn (Molly)
1.0.0 Royal (Duke)
http://www.youtube.com/user/ReptilesQuest?feature=mhee
You there! subscribe to me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000