New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daveono1
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  22:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, i haven't been on here in a while as Maverick and Cookie are doing very well and getting very big!

It's the first winter i've been with my two snakes and was wondering if you need to do anything special if your snakes want to hibernate? Cookie has been spending a lot of time in the cool end and pressed up against the glass completely still. She's been feeding fine but she normally spends all day keeping warm in the hot end of her tank so it's a little odd to see her out all the time. Maverick is doing the same but has always preferred the cool end of her tank. I though it might be because she preferred the hides but it turns out she will mostly spend all day in the cool side.

I've read in some forum posts that you can lower the temps to as low as 17C and they won't eat for 3-4 months but wasn't sure if every snake did this or if you actually needed to. Will they be ok if you don't lower temps and keep feeding or should you allow them to hibernate? I don't really have a cold room in my flat so could be a little hard to get the temps low. Let me know what you all think!

0.2.0 Corns - Maverick and Cookie

Vince_the_snake
Yearling

United Kingdom
553 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  07:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never lower the temps in my corn's viv and he acts normally so they don't need to hibernate My snake spends most of his time in the cool end and he is fine so it is probably OK that your's spends on the cool end.

Edited by - Vince_the_snake on 09/12/2011 07:28:43
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  10:35:24  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
17 is a bit too high for brumation, you need to be aiming for 10-12C. If you decide to, your snake needs to be in tip top condition otherwise there are health risks involved.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Katie.Dublin
Sub Adult

Ireland
1560 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2011 :  17:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its not necessary. I keep my temps and feeding the same all year round :)

0.1 normal (Miami) - Hugo
0.1 hypo Motley - Spunky
0.1 MBK - Tequila. RIP
Horses, bearded dragons, a red tailed boa constrictor, a tortoise, a cat and a dog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000