New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  17:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been having trouble finding a decent size piece of polystyrene to put the heat mat on so it can go under the faun. Spotted a pinboard in the local, erm, discount shop so I'm planning to chop it up and use the cork sheet instead.

Anyone else done this or similar? I'm pretty sure it will be just fine, but thought id ask the experts.

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  17:30:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i found loads of like bambo plate mat things reduced at ikea, that i use and there spaced apart just right so it lets air circulate aswell, not sure about cork though
Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  18:24:37  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have two long tiles (with a gap between them) under my snakies viv (mostly because I couldn't find anything else)
I think cork should be ok

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)

Edited by - SheWolfey on 03/11/2011 18:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Casta
Hatchling

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  18:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got 2 glass sheets under mine. the mat is stuck on one with a gap between them. so long as theres a non conductive surface it shud be fine. with a air space between it.

Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  21:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had a bit of a search and it seems cork is quite often used to insulate under floor heating systems, so should be ok.

Thanks for the input folks.
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  22:21:35  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So long as the mat is stat'd then you shouldn't have an issue with cork. It's a very good insulator, but is also very good at catching fire.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  12:55:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back to the drawing board. Took the thing apart last night to cut it to size and its about 2mm of cork stuck to cardboard! Should have known for £3 really :)

Off to the hardware shop on the way home today to find something else.
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2011 :  17:16:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just bought a crappy pair of hairstraightners for about a rennet and used the heat mat that came with them. You could probably find a Kearney cheaper but it's good enough for me (: and you know it'll work cause hair straightness can get hotter than heat mats for vivs and it's fine.

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  20:34:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's creative thinking Beverly, I like it!

Had no luck at the hardware shop so asked in the pet shop on the off chance. They had polystyrene tiles to put under fish tanks so ive got 2 to stick together which will be just right.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  20:47:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
DO you need it? Are you struggling with your temperatures?

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2011 :  21:00:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No the temp seems to be pretty stable at around 30c, but at the moment the mat is on the back of the faun as I couldn't get it to stay put under it and I didn't want it to damage the side board its all sat on. I'll be a lot happier once its all secured underneath and well insulated.
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  21:09:52  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
some types of heatmat need an airgap to operate properly and without risk of fire - Habistat Desert or Rainforest i think (could well be wrong though!)

if the problem is the connector block on the mat making the faun wobbly just raise the bottom of the faun up on small feet, can even be a couple of pennies under each corner

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

JamesA
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2011 :  07:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a microclimate one and the instructions say to leave an air gap if its underneath, also recommends polystyrene. Now ive got the tiles i can see exactly now to do it so will have a change round once she starts being active again after her feed.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000