Handeling questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  18:40:37  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I handled Indra for the 1st time today
She was calm at first but then she tried jumping out of my hands onto the towel I had under her (just in case she fell )

I don't think she really liked being handled, and now she is hiding from me at the back of her viv

I only handled her for about 5 mins, is that too long for her or too short?

Also, do I handle her once every day (apart from feeding and a few days after feeding) or a few times a week?

Sorry for the newbie questions

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  18:55:32  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
she's probably just not used to you and your smell, sonny was like that at first but now we can have her out for 10-15 mins at a time before she starts going nuts, as for you're question, its really up to her :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Auld Baldy
Ikea's Pimp

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Auld Baldy's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Fun isn't it.

She will get used to it eventually once she gets used to you. She will just be hiding after all the excitement of her first outing. 5 minutes is OK as a start point so try again tomorrow and then gradually increase the play time by a few minutes as both of you gain confidence. Every day is fine apart from after feeding.

Don't worry about the newbie questions. We were all hatched at one time.

1.0.0: Miami Normal: Taggart
0.0.1: Carolina Normal: Wee Woody
0.0.1: Grey Rat Snake: Mirkey
0.0.1: Amel Corn: Blaze
1.0.0: Carpet Python: Vambo
0.0.1: MBK: Fester
0.0.1: Florida King Snake : Rattler (Rattle & Hum)
0.0.1. California King Snake: El Diablo Diego
0.2.0 Tarantulas : Ermintrude & Euphemia.
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:11:00  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You need to keep at it Im afraid. Thats the only way she is gonna be used to being handled. You could try keeping a sock on you for 24/28 hours and placing it in the housing. This way it helps the snake get used to your scent

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  06:52:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't worry about it, it's completely normal behaviour. 5 mins is ok after all you don’t want to stress her out. It might be a little frustrating but she will calm with regular handling. You seem to be doing it right so you won’t have any problem. Good luck though

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  07:22:15  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I handled mine for 5-10mins a day when I first got her. Now that she's calmed down I handle her for 10-15mins every time I get her out. She's less stressed with us now and we can even let her go and mooch around in the bed.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  09:53:24  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Another tip for you is to ensure you try putting her back on "good terms" - i.e. when she is nice and calm and settled They can learn simple things like this (so i've read)...for example, if she "was" to tag you (unlikely, i know) you should ideally wait until she is settled again before putting her back.

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  17:15:47  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help guys
I handled her for a little longer today and she was a lot calmer than yesterday

I will try the sock idea.
Thanks

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page