New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, probably just being a bit paranoid but just wondering about our little fella. He is about five months old and is gaining weight and growing steadily, but something does not seem well. When we get him out to hold he is always very slow. You can put him on the floor and he will just sit there for a few mins without doing anything at all then slowly slide around. Also when I go in to see him in his rub he seems to be sat in one position looking out and not moving. Any ideas as lots of people say snakes that young should be like lightning. Or am I just being over sensitive.

gmac
The Scottish Admin

United Kingdom
5319 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  20:56:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are the temps like and the rst of the housing etc

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  21:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Temps in the rub are 30 31 in warm end and 26 28 in the cool end. Central heating on in the rest of the house when I get him out not sure of the temps exactly.
Go to Top of Page

Regalmatt
Egg

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  21:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi tk 72, Ive only had my corn a short time but I would say your temps are a bit on the high side, I try to aim for 28-29 in the warm side and the cool side is at room temp, usually 20-22, but at night drops to around 19-20, don't take my word though, there are loads of experienced corn keepers that will I'm sure give some great advice,hope you work things out.
Go to Top of Page

Red123
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2030 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  21:54:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would also say that your temps are a little high there is not much of a gradient there, my temps are like Reaglmatt. Also what hides does your snake have? Are there hides both in the cool and warm side so he can thermo regulate and not be out in the open? You are running the heat mat on a stat aren't you?

Corn Snake
, 1.0.0 Amel (Stan),

Royal Pythons
1.0.0 Normal (Nigel)

1.0.0 Albino (Tony)
Boa Constrictor Imperator
0.1.0 (Agatha)
Western Hognose
0.1.0 Normal (Stevie)

0.0.1 Schneider Skink (George)
1.0.0 Extreme Blonde Harlequin Crested Gecko (Bert)
4 GALS.

Tarantulas
Red Rump (B. Vagans) Jo.
Chaco Golden Knee (G. pulchripes) Charlie, Greenbottle Blue (C. cyaneopubescens) Gus, Honduran Curly Hair ( B. albopilosum) Titch, Mexican Fire Leg (B. boehmei), Salmon Pink Bird Eater(L. parahybana), Fort Hall Baboon (P. Lugardi) Blanche, Stout Leg Baboon (E. Pachypus) Graham, Chilean Rose (G. Rosea) Glen.

Border collie x (BoB), 2 Cats (Lucky & Dip), 17 Goldfish, and The Dubia Family
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  22:37:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep I'd say far too warm too, I only have my hot end at 28oC through the day (26oC at night) and the cool end is lucky if it ever goes over 21oC, my corn still spends most of the time on the cool side too. Maybe its not just staying still its cooling down when out.

I'd also be a bit worried your readings are out too, as 26oC cool side in a RUB would mean your house is seriously warm. I couldn't achieve that high a cool temp in a rub unless I sat it on top of one of my hotter vivariums.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky

Edited by - lotabob on 01/11/2011 22:39:48
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  22:46:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will reduce the temps and see how he gets on. Got a coconut hide on both sides of the rub and he seems to always prefer the cool side. And have got a habistat mat stat. Thanks for the advice and will let you know how he gets on.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000