A great start to snake keeping
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nigandjules
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:02:18  Show Profile  Visit nigandjules's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So I finally picked up our amel corn snake yesterday. Had lots of issues with the viv; ordered the hides and water bowl, but forgot to check the size against the size of the tank. They arrived, but were much too big for the viv!! Ordered some more stuff last Friday and asked if it could be despatched on Monday. Got a call on Wednesday saying they were out of stock of one of the items, but would despatch the rest. Stuff arrived on Thursday, and arranged to pick the snake up on Friday. Headed off with 3 kids in tow and picked up the lovely amel. Got it home and introduced it to it's new home. Immediately buried itself under the aspen! Woke up this morning to the kids screaming that Ozzie Jr had sellotape stuck to it's head. Panic set in! We got it out of the tank, but the tape was stuck fast. I called the lady where I bought it and she said to bathe it in warm water for about 10mins and peel it off gently. This didn't work and I was worried about the stress this was causing it. I called her again and she said to bring it over. We went over and she had a look, got some olive oil and started to rub it, breaking up the adhesive. After 5 minutes, the tape was free and Ozzie Jr didn't seem too stressed after his ordeal. We went home and after checking there was no more stray tape in the viv, put it back in. I hope this is as bad as it gets, because I don't think I could handle another morning like this again! Pictures of Ozzie Jr to follow shortly!

1 Amel Corn
1 cat
1 hamster
3 kids and a wife!!

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:09:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That certainly is a bad start! But hides can be used from things around the home easily, cardboard boxes are a good one! :) And yes olive oil was the first thing i thought of when u said about sellotape! I buy reptile magazines, it had 2 pages on how to remove tape safely.

Hope everything is plain sailing from now though :oD xx

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

nigandjules
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:11:42  Show Profile  Visit nigandjules's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Aegis. Certainly don't want that to happen again! But hoping for good times now!

1 Amel Corn
1 cat
1 hamster
3 kids and a wife!!
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thats a baptism by fire!

Still, it'll be plain sailing from now!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:22:52  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
How the hell did it get tape stuck to it's head unless your kids were trying to wrap him up for xmas?

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

nigandjules
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:31:33  Show Profile  Visit nigandjules's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had stuck the heat mat wire on the inside top of the tank, but it had obviously got hot and came away from the viv. Won't be doing that again!

1 Amel Corn
1 cat
1 hamster
3 kids and a wife!!
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  16:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well as you have learned tape isnt a good thing. My corn has a deformity from tape, happened before i got her. But it does do damage.

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  19:58:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sellotape is EVIL!! no matter even if you think it is well stuck down! glad you got it off with no damage done

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  20:04:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreeing with SBB, tape is EVIL.
When I got Holly, the heat mat that came with him had some very low tack papercraft type tape on the bottom to hold it in place, which I didn't know about, and even that managed to rip the top off a few scales! Thankfully, it shed out fine!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000