Jumping corn snake?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sinead9099
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  09:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi all, I got a 2 month old amel corn last week. She seems quite happy to be handled and is settling in nicely.

I've noticed however that she likes to suddenly 'jump' off places requiring some quick moves on my part to catch her! The last corn snake I had never seemed to do this and google seemed to confirm that corns don't jump.

She will suddenly slither very fast and launch herself off an edge, like taking a running jump!

Anyone else seen this behaviour?

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  09:15:21  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Yep... that's what hatchlings do jump and move very fast.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  09:50:44  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I agree. My 4 month old likes to make mad dashes for the edge of the bed with no sign of stopping. I just keep an eye on it and stop it especially with our cat!

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

boogles
Hatchling

131 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  10:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i first got my amel she used to LEAP out of her faun and make a break for it. used to scare the **** out of me....

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  12:41:48  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eve used to do that lol she doesnt anymore shes loves being handled but she stll gets very zippy with the initial touch when your taking her out of her rub lol soon as shes out though she just loves exploring and crawling around your fingers etc

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  13:48:21  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just make sure you're handling her where she can't fall any real distance.......sitting down with a towel over your lap should help prevent falls and escapes

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2011 :  18:12:00  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
sonnys a nutter also :)

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

sinead9099
Snake Mite

2 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  00:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, guys. I'll just make sure I pay close attention when I have her out. She will say curled up in my hands for up to 10 minutes sometimes. Other times she is more energetic!
Go to Top of Page

yola
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  01:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None of my bigger snakes do this but the amount of baby snakes iv had out of the 50babies this year only a few have sort of jumped, its because they feel threatend, all my babies are kept in the small cricket pots and iv found it makes them alot calmer, if they go into a big space or home/viv to quickly while there tiney it can make them snappy, feel threatend and a bit wirey.

Boogles like the pic of your RO, iv got quite a few myself including some babies iv kept on this year lol

With 27 beautiful corns I definitely have snakeitus :-)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2011 :  09:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My daughters Fire hatchie was the same till he calmed down. Was all I could do to keep hold of the little sod,it was like holding a possessed shoelace lol!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

shaunb
Yearling

United Kingdom
782 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2011 :  02:10:34  Show Profile  Send shaunb a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
that's what my little blood stripe is like a possessed shoelace lmao i love that saying

[Quote]
A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.
Go to Top of Page

connorg96
Egg

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  21:40:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
when i first bred my corn snakes my first ever hatchling was tiny but i underestimated how skittish they were and he flew straight out of my hand and fell about three feet!!!!! but the baby snake was perfectly fine however but after i calmed them down they were all little angels
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000