Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  23:08:27  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmm that does sound very dodgy indeed and the new guy was right snakes arent gonna starve to death in two weeks im no expert but it certainly sounds to me like it could have been a congenital defect from what you said about the lump just remmeber not to feed or handle the new guy/girl for a week to let it settle in best of luck

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  23:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really glad you got another one. Hope the kids will be ok xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  09:22:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a really bad shop to me, 10 days without feeding isn't unusual for a new corn I'm always more surprised if they do eat in first week or two.

We had a situation very similar a few months ago where we bought a corn that already had a problem when we bought it and even though we didn't realise for nearly 2 weeks what it was the shop still took a look at it and supplied treatment for the little guy, we lost him after a month or so and still got a full refund so really make sure they don't try and mess u about
Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  10:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The guy at the shop said when it didn't feed I should have taken it back so they could force feed it.
Honestly didn't think that was necessary after missing just one feed.
I'm going back there on Wednesday so I'll see what I can get back.
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  10:32:42  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats ridiuclous im a newbie and even i know you wouldnt force feed a snake after it refusing just one meal stand your ground and dont take anypoopfrom him

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  10:47:54  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Indeed, snakes live for months without food, even new born hatchlings can, mine lived 3 months before they decided to eat. Force feeding at that stage is stupid and itself and cause the snake to die if done wrong let alone the stress. Shame your not really allowed to name and shame the shop!

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  12:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no I'm sorry to hear about River. Poor little snake.
Chuffed you've got another though,could you not pretend River shed and thats why the snake looks different to your kids (not sure if they are young enough to fall for that?) I can understand you feeling scared,but I'm sure you'll have a snake that has a long healthy life with your family.
The previous shop have given you ridiculous advice,sounds like they are trying to lay the blame on you to be honest when you have done nothing wrong at all. 10 days without food is nothing to a healthy snake!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Mnementh
Yearling

United Kingdom
537 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  12:42:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that , it does sound like something was wrong with the snake though .

Out of the 28 hatchlings I had this year , one has'nt fed after 3 and a half months , so they can go some time without feeding , so they can fast for a long time .

One last jump , that's all we have to take Holth .
Wearily the old queen gathered heself to spring ;
Moreta gratefully began her litany .
Black , blacker , blackest -
They went between .
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  15:51:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really pleased you've made the decision not to give up and it's great that you've found a similar snakey, albeit you had a long drive to pick it up. That's so kind and thoughtful

Children are quite resilient I think and I'm sure that whatever you tell them, they'll be so excited that there is still a snakey there for them that they'll take it in their stride. I sometimes think it's as you grow older and understand a lot more what's going on and what things mean that you actually find it more difficult to deal with than the children will and they will probably deal with it absolutely fine

Good luck to you all with your new corn. I'm sure it's the beginning of a very happy story

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  20:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, so pleased you've got a new little snake. I'm sure the kids will be delighted with him/her, and look forward to some pics when your new arrival settles in

Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  20:44:41  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hope your kids aren't too upset if they find out.
I can't believe the guy in the shop said he would have force fed her after only a week of not feeding.

I hope your new snake settles in well and I look forward to seeing some new pics

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)
Go to Top of Page

Bluenicoli
Egg

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  20:53:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear this, i lost my first corn too after doing everything right. It seems it just happens some times. I've now got a beautiful new hatchling and he's thriving. You're new snake will be great i'm sure!

1.0.0 Snow Motley - Norman
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  22:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and glad you got a new snake. What was the name of the shop just incase anyone else has had isssues there. And maybe tell the kids that River was not well so you swapped him for a different one while he gets better with some one whi knows more about sick snakes. Then tell them you are keeping your new one as River needs more help than you can give him. No one has to know he died. Hope all goes well with your new snake.
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2011 :  23:06:36  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I disagree with the comments of trying hide the death from your children, not to be mean or anything but death is something you have to learn, it's a fact of life and if you don't tell them now, they are going to figure it out later on in life.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  09:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont disagree with you sta~lpe just suppose it depends on how old they are. My two are 6 and 3 and my older one would be ok with that but the younger one might not be. Sure no one thinks you are being mean at all. Just different opinions really and if we where all the same it would be a boring world. But most of all lets hope your new hatchie is healthy and has no problems at all.
Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  17:05:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the messages guys.
I told my boys and they were devastated. They kept crying all weekend.
They are getting used to it now and appear less upset.
They love their new snake and it seems a lot more active. I'm paranoid it will die at any minute (but for no good reason!) though.
Will try feeding it on Thursday and let you know how I get on. Thanks again for all the kind words.
Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  19:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear about River and good luck with the new addition.

I had this happen to me too and I now have 3 corns. Glad you weren't put off.

C x

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2011 :  19:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So pleased the boys love their new snake, have they given him/her a name yet? Sounds like a healthy little thing, so hope the feeding goes well for you too

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000