kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  10:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm distraught.
WE only had her a week and a half.
She didn't feed on Saturday and was going to try again today but she is dead :(
I have no idea why. The temp is correct (there is a thermostat and a digital thermometer) I changed her water regularly. The viv is set up exactly as in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.
I just don't know what happened.
I want to get another snake but am worried the same thing will happen :(

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  10:41:24  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Awww. Sorry to hear that.

Sometimes these things happen despite the care people give them. It's just one of those things. I've had it with the Leo's I used to keep.

Don't let it put you off keeping snakes.

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  10:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hiya i am so sorry, our first little snake Clyde died after having him only 6 weeks or so, he was my boy's 7th birthday pressie and will never be forgotten, we learnt so much, please dont let it put you off we have Ernest now and love him too.

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  11:08:25  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that.

It could be just one of those things. Something may have been wrong with her before you got her and the stresses of moving may have escalated it etc. If everything you've done is as it should be then there is nothing else you could have done.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  11:11:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news, kneon. From reading your previous posts, you have obviously been a very caring and concerned owner who wanted to ensure that River was properly cared for.

As Dan says, unfortunately, these things sometimes happen despite your care and concern and not just with snakes. Please don't be discouraged from keeping corns in the future, there's another snakey out there who would love to come home and be cared for by you. Give yourself a little time to grieve for River and consider all the pleasure she gave you in the, sadly, short time she was with you and I'm sure you'll realise it's something you don't want to give up

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  12:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Really sorry to hear about River. Some snakes are just not meant to survive unfortunately. The same thing happened with my first corn snake. It almost put me off keeping snakes completely. I am glad I carried on with it and now have 4 snakes. Please don't let it put you off.

Go to Top of Page

polarchick
Egg

United Kingdom
73 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  12:12:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh that's really sad - sounds like you have done everything right, it is just one of those unexplainable things.

RIP River.

1.0.0 CB11 Carolina corn snake - Hygge
Go to Top of Page

carlycorn
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  12:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
awww sorry to hear that, :(
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  12:29:20  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear about River. As already said, these things do happen sometimes with hatchies and sometimes there is no recognisable cause. Wild animals often hide that they are ill so that they don't appear vulnerable.

Did you get her from a breeder or a shop? Did you get feeding records with her? Since you have only had her for a very short time, if you do contact the seller they may offer you a free replacement. You may prefer to choose a new snake from another source but at least the seller will know what has happened to River. My advice if you do get another is to check and double check that your set-up is correct and make sure it is thoroughly disinfected to avoid any possible bugs that may have caused Rivers death. Aside from that, please don't give up on keeping snakes. Although this does happen there are also alot of hatchies that thrive.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

SheWolfey
Hatchling

United Kingdom
148 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  12:53:26  Show Profile  Visit SheWolfey's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am sorry to hear that she died.
Don't be put off snakes, what ever you do. As lots of people have said, sometimes things like that happen.
It sounded like you did everything right, so its not your fault.

1.1.0 Cats (Baccus and Isis)
0.1.0 Carolina Corn (Indra)
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  13:22:31  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear this

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  13:48:09  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Was she a hatchie? These things just happen I;m afraid. Don't let it put you off as people said, there as so many snakes wanting a new home after all.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  14:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww I feel so sorry for you :( especially since it seemed that you had a happy home all set out for River :(

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  15:25:55  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm so very sorry. :'-(

RIP little River.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  15:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm so sorry to hear about River kneon light. It's terrible news... hope you're ok.

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:02:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So so sorry xxxx Please dont let this put you off

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:34:29  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aw thats awfull so sorry to hear that as everyones already said dont let it put you off keeping snakes best wishes

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  18:48:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to hear that, don't be put off getting another its just one of those things.

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  19:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So sorry you lost River, what a devastating start to snake keeping for you Give yourself some time to get over it, and do get another snake when you feel ready.It sounds like you have a loving home to offer, so don't let this horribly sad experience put you off. Take care of yourself.

Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  19:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry to hear about River. Only had our Paddy for about a month and would be devestated if he passed. But like all the others say dont be put off and am sure you wont regret getting another.
Go to Top of Page

kneon light
Egg

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2011 :  22:43:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks everyone.
River belonged to my children who saved up for ages to buy her. They are away for the next couple of days so I thought I would try and replace River so when they get back they are not too upset.
As a result I have bought another Cremsicle corn snake! (Had to drive 2 hours to get it and when I got there it looks nothing like River so I won't get away with pretending it's the same snake!)
Anyway I have triple checked the set up and talked through the whole thing with the guy in the (different) shop. He said it all sounds perfect and that River shouldn't have died but may have had something wrong with her.
The shop where I bought River said they only guaranteed them for 7 days (she died after 10) but that they MIGHT give us a partial refund. Thy said we should have called them when she didn't feed - however the guy at the reptile centre where I bought the new snake said that River should have been able to survive for a lot longer than 2 weeks without food. I am going back to the original shop on Wed to try and get some money back. I did notice when I buried River she had a weird lump half way down her body - may be nothing but it seemed odd as she hadn't eaten.
Anyway the new snake seems a lot more active already. I'll let you know how we get on - I must admit I'm really scared though!!
Thanks for all the best wishes!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000