Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  08:45:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning all,

I posted last night that Cornelius had had his first feed with us & it was a success. My partner Paul spot checked his fauna this morning just to check all was ok & he found a complete shed in Corny's trailing plant!

Was good to see it for first time & was wondering what other members do with their snakes shedded skin?

When we handle him Wed, we'll check him over just to make sure he ok but when we fed him last night, he didn't look like he was about to shed. His eyes looked ok.

I've checked his shed & it is definitely a complete shed because his tail end is there & also his eyecaps. I'm so pleased!!

PS, this forum is a godsend! Thanks.

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  08:54:53  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yay, congratulations - pleased to hear it is all going so well

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  09:01:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx garrie. I'm starting to relax a bit more but still bit nervous because I worry too much anyway & I just don't want anything to happen to him.

I chickened out handling & feeding him last night because I was a little nervous with it being his first time. I'm sure I'll be more confident next time (I'll make sure of it!) because I want to do it myself.

Also, he was very quick moving around & took us a bit to get hold of him which we thought might have stressed him out... obviously not because he did relax & eat.

Just a quick question, what would you suggest is the best way of getting him out of his fauna which won't hurt him & stress him out the least? We struggled a bit last night to get hold of him.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  09:07:38  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A lot of people simply cup their hand underneath their snake - this seems to be a fairly good method. My snake now actually comes out onto my hand just about (most of the time)after having him 4 - 5 months. Hatchlings/young snakes are very quick and very flighty to begin with - once he is used to your scent, he will calm down a great deal hopefully. Just try to remember to keep low (i.e. come in from the side rather than over him). I remember, when AURYN was younger - once i had part of him underneath my hand, i would get my fingers around him and pick him up - obviously not squeezing him tightly, but more like a hook or something.

Rest assured..you are doing well - and for the first month or so of having my snake, my heart pounded like a beast whenever I went in to get him. I think it is fair to say that it is a learning curve for both Cornelius and yourself.

^click for more pics^
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  09:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for the nod about going to him from the side & not over top of him, will try that next time.

I felt really guilty last night because when we took the hide off him that he was under, he just looked up at us with his tiny eyes & looked really vunerable!

I know it's for best tho!!!

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  01:48:51  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great that both his 1st feed and shed went well.

I'm really sad and keep all of my snakes sheds in individual sandwich bags with the snakes name and the date of the shed. It's amazing to compare the sizes of the sheds as they grow.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  14:36:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Thistle, yep I've just put Corny's 1st shed in an envelope for now with date on it.

We were wondering what would be best way to measure him, because we knew we'd struggle, then OH came up with brill idea of measuring his shed!! So we did & he's 43cm.

Thanks.

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  14:54:50  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
To be honest measuring the shed is not an accurate way to measure the length of the snake because the skin stretches fair bit as the snake sheds.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  15:02:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aaahhh ok thx. Is there an easy way of measuring them?

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  15:14:41  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kath

Is there an easy way of measuring them?

Simple answer...no, not particuarly! I measure mine by waiting for him to go on a little trek around the edge of his home...once his head gets to a corner or something, i keep note of where his tail is and measure that distance (not perfect, but not far off).

There are some online tools that you can use to measure your snake - other people use them, but i haven't used it yet so can't really comment. http://serpwidgets.com/main/measure

Hope that helps

^click for more pics^

Edited by - garrie on 25/10/2011 15:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Kath
Yearling

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  15:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thx for the link, we'll try it out when we get some pics of him! We'll be able to handle him tomorrow so we're going to get as many pics of him as we can!

Go to Top of Page

jonoandapril
Hatchling

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  16:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i heard the shed thing works ok if you use the rule of taking 10% off?

1x amel corn (tango)
1x carolina corn (pepsi)
1x carpet python (butch)
1x normal royal (rachel)
1x bumblebee royal
wishlist: abbotts okeetee female, crawl cay boa, emerald tree boa
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page