New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  09:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[font=Arial] Hey. So I just got my first two corns four days ago - Jack and Sally, both three months old and from the same clutch. When I got Jack he was shedding so I left him, but Sally I handled the next day and she was an angel (:
The problem started yesterday when I tried to feed Jack (he'd shed the night before). He kept on trying to escape from my feeding tub and, at one point as I tried to catch him, turned to me and showed me his mouth in an aggressive/ defensive posture. He's now back in the viv and has had the night to calm down.
Can anyone give me any advice on whether I should feed him or not and what I can do to help calm him down? I know, now, I should have waited 7 days but I was too excited, and I've only handled Sally, who has been fine. When working with adult snakes at college (corns & a king) I never had this reaction so, please, can anyone give me some advice to make Jack a happy corn?

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  09:39:11  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, you have answered your own question "I should have waited 7 days but I was too excited" - your best best is going to be to give him 7 days from now before handling him again. Simply going in to change water/spot check. You can then try feeding him again with fingers crossed - depending how much of a stroppy little fella he is, you may be better to give him a few feeds before handling - just to get him into a nice routine.

Welcome to the forum by the way - and best of luck with Jack

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  10:02:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As garrie said, you answered it yourself. Its hard to wait a week but its essential!

Also, what size viv have you got them in? if they are only 3 months old i imagine they are pretty teeny tiny so still far too small for a viv. Or have you got them in something else? Also whats the temps of the mat? I found that when my stat was broken and causing heating issues, my corn was alot more upset, after i got it fixed she calmed down!

Welcome to the forum! x

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  10:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ above. Another little tip which works to help the snake recognise your scent, pop a clean sock in your bra/pocket for a few hours and then pop that into the faun/RUB with the snake.

Are you housing together or seperately, if together you may want to consider separating them as hatchies can be canabalistic and eat each other.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what you have is a scared snake, not an aggressive one. Babies are notoriously bitey, its their only form of defense. You have to give it time. Babies wont break the skin, its more of a gumming than anything else.

Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:15:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah as above. People get confused with the difference between an aggressive and defensive snake. My first snake was a little nippy at first but calmed down with regular handling. If I were you, I would leave for 7 days and then feed again. Remember when handling not to come in from the top (he will see you as a predator) instead slide your hand under him and lift him out smoothly. Remember to be confident as this will make it all the easier. And if he does nip, it won’t hurt at all.

Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello there. Nice names Im rehoming a bearded dragon in a week or so for someone and plan on calling him Mr Ooogie-Boogie

Basically the rule if to leave new snakes to settle in for 7 days without disturbing them (except of course water changes). What set up have you got them in? I have 2 hatchies who are in their own seperate rubs. They are 4L rubs which are more than enough for them space wise. Do they have heat mats and thermostats? Hot and cold end hides?

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  19:16:59  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
they are just doing what baby snakes do, defending themselves against a big scary predator that wants to eat them (ie. you) because they have nowhere to run.

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  19:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Jack will be as happy as Sally once he's settled into his new home; Sally's obviously found the move a little easier to cope with as well, particularly as Jack was shedding.

I've had Maizie for a month now and it's probably only been the past 7-10 days that she's really begun to explore and come out of her own accord and that is mostly at night. As they're still only babies, they've got to get used to being handled and your scent too, but bear with them and they'll soon be much more confident when you go to say hello and take them out for cuddles

Good luck and remember, patience is a virtue

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  20:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,everyone has covered it there. I'm sure once he's settled in more he'll calm down. Some take more time than others,but you'l get there.
Love the names by the way. Fab film.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  22:12:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the help everyone!
They are housed together but I have separate feeding tubs and I've set the heat mat to about 82-84 F so that they have a warm and cool area. Viv is maybe one and a half foot long but only half a foot high and half a foot long. I know he wasn't aggressive just probably annoyed and scared but thanks for the advice (:
Think I'm gonna leave the pair of them for the rest of the week and then feed them on the same day, with Sally in a separate box and him in the viv. Also am gonna try the whole sock-scent thing whoever suggested that, sounds like a good idea (:

Two corns - Jack & Sally; a tailess tabby - Tia; fish; four rats - Pepper, Bailey, Biscuit, Alfie; a spider - Gerard Way-To-Big.
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  23:04:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beverly Louise

They are housed together

Snakes are not social animals, it may be this fact alone that is causing it stress. It may not be able to settle if its constantly been jostled by another snake for the best spot. Ideally you need to house all snakes separately.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  00:50:10  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As other people have said, hatchlings are generally nervous little things and it's not unusual for them to hiss, tail rattle and bite. I'd give your boy a week to settle in, don't handle him at all in this time. Then it's just a matter of frequent handling. At first he is going to be defensive and may bite, but hatchling bites are not even slightly painful, you barely even feel them. Just keep handling him, if he bites ignore it, he'll soon learn that it doesn't work and give up. I got a little anery lavender hatchling a few months ago. At first he constantly hissed, tail rattled and bit, but I kept handling him, didn't put him back into his rub until he had calmed down. Within a few days he stopped biting, a few days after that the hissing and tail rattling stopped, and he hasn't done any of those things since.

As for keeping them together, I know some people do co-habit their corns but I don't think it's a good idea for a number of reasons. There is always the chance that one could turn on the other especially as hatchlings, they are solitary animals so can become stressed when kept together and if one of the regurges or has blood in their poo (etc..) then your not going to know which one it's from. Then when they are older you have the danger of them breeding before the female is mature enough which could lead to her becoming very ill or even dying. In my opinion it's just not worth the risk.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Beverly Louise
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  08:52:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only major thing I'm worried about is because he has been in ecdysis when I got him he hasn't fed since the eleventh. I'm a bit worried to wait a week in case he begins to starve or, worse, attacks Sally.

Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  09:30:21  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
He shouldnt starve. They can go months and months without food. But i can see why you'd be worried if you are housing them together.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:01:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dont keep them together, its asking for all sorts of problems. Baby corns have a bad habit of being cannibalistic, and if he hasnt fed for while, one day he may decide to eat, and the only thing about is the tank mate. Its a bad idea, and for more reasons than that.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000