Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ive seen a pet shop selling a, prob 3ft corn, and a 3ft viv and equipment for 80 but my main concern is how fat he is, i mean hes massive, ive seen a post on here vaguely that had a fatty on and it was the same if not bigger than that. My main questions are how can you get him to normal size and is that a fair price?? seems to me its too good go be true.

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:35:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
What morph corn? I have been dieting my corn that was previously 1100g ish for about a year and a half now, he's now 938g so I cannot tell you myself if they have perament fatty deposits but according to good old Google, it seems to suggest they can carry some in their tail for the rest of their life. It takes a long time to get the weight down, you just reduce the size food and how often you feed them.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2011 :  22:38:19  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
£80 for a corn (morph?), 3ft viv and equipment seems a good deal.
As for getting it down in size, just feed smaller prey items every 10-14 days, and take the snake out for exercise (stairs are quite good, apparently).

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  10:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it looked like a granite(very dark grey and black), i could be wrong but i really did feel sorry for his snake, i think i might ring the petshop and enquire abit more, he pulled on my heart strings abit
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  10:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, I'd say get him, for that price it's a steal! He may be a bit of a fatty, but reduced feeds and lots of exercise and perseverance will help that :)
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:08:55  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If he is really overweight, the feeding space is going to need more than 10-14 days! Can't really tell though without a picture, I kinda imagine it's hard to get a 3ft corn drastically over weight as they are still growing at that age unless he's a very piddly adult.

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  12:11:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
will do guys, i saw him at the weekend and he/she was just there looking up all fat and round saying buy me. Gonna ring pet shop ask a few questions and then prob next weekend ill buy him/her
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  15:42:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well heres the update,

i rang the petshop they basically dont know anything, what he/she eat previous and how frequent, dont know the sex, and the morph, all they know is that it previous owner was worried for its health and passed it on to someone "who knew what to do"

i really do feel sorry it, and apon ring its made me want him more, because the young lady that answered appered to know nothing, now that maybe different when i go back to the shop, but i did asked to speak to someone with regards to the overweight snake,
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  15:54:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
If you can find an age, I know people say don't buy snakes that aren't in good health but I would be so tempted to do it in this case. Although they loose weight slowly, it is amazing to see the weight drop off. That being said, there could be something else wrong that makes it look fat in that makes sense.

Whats the equipment include do you know for the viv? If theres a stat included or some nice hides sounds like a nice deal.

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  17:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i didnt ask but, he did look about 3-31/2 feet long, and he/she deffo had a big size difference between the back half and his tail (diffinate step at his/her vent and bulge marks that i could see quite away off)
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  17:21:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sorry i had a look and it has everything in heat mat hides water bowl and a 3ft viv... the lot really, apart from a stat, which i have a spare anyways
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  17:52:51  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Good deal then if the viv is in good nick.

Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  18:02:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i should be getting him/her anytime soon this week, so ill put pics up asap
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  19:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Matty

I'm not an expert by an means, I've only had my Maizie for a month, but I did buy Bill & Kathy Love's Comprehensive Owners Guide for Corn Snakes when I bought her and read it right through.

Anywhoooooo, in the Disorders section there is a picture of a female snake's tail end where it's really bulging near the cloaca/vent (best I can describe it is as if there is a tennis ball just above her cloaca) and here's what it says:-

Egg Binding
Occasionally a female corn fails to pass some or all of her clutch of eggs, retaining them far longer than is normal or healthy for her. An egg binding problem is most noticeable as either an out of proportion or irregular bulge in a female's lower abdomen. It may also be felt as a lump or hardened mass in her body about the time you expect her to deposit her clutch.

They also go on to explain that 'hips' are the term given to podgy fat deposits just above the cloaca on some older female corn snakes. The exact cause is not known - it's probably a consequence of captivity - but it doesn't necessarily impede reproduction. Snakes can remain healthy with this 'blemish' for years.

Like I say, I'm definitely not an expert and it may just be fatty deposits if she's an older snake, but you might also want to bear in mind the possibility of egg binding, particularly as the pet shop seem to lack any information whatsoever except for the fact that the previous owner was 'worried for it's health'. They may have been fully aware that the poor little lady had retained an egg(s) and that it will cost a fair bit of money at the vets to get the poor snakey's problem resolved. I don't like to be suspicious, but I just wanted to mention the above in case you decide to bring her home and then face a big vets bill that you may not have been expecting.

Let us know how you get on and if you do go for her, good on you and I wish you both all the best

0.1.0 - CB10 Creamsicle - Maisie
0.1.0 - CB10 Ultramel Motley - Smudge
1.0.0 - Leopard Gecko - Ziggy
1.0.0 - Crested Gecko - Koji
0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
0.1.0 - Rescue Greyhound - Becki
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  21:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks kez, my brain tells me ive got to keep all my options open, but my heart says buy him/her whatever.....
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  21:52:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TBH kez he/she is really fat at the back i wouldnt say anything like a tennis ball tho but the best way to describe is normal at the front and as you get to the back he/she starts to "fill-out" from about half way to 2 1/3 of the way down his/her body, if you want a pic ref the best one ive seen is the one on the "is your snake a fatty" post, maybe abit smaller in length but about the same thickness in comparasment

Edited by - mkmattyk on 24/10/2011 21:54:29
Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  23:41:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fair play to you Matty, you will know as you've seen her so maybe s/he just likes their mousey a little too much I'm sure snakey will be as happy as larry once in a loving home

Will be great to see a pic when you bring him/her home. Hope you get on ok; will be looking forward to hearing from you as to how the house move went. Good luck

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  07:51:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thankyou kez i never knew anything about what you stated and ive deffo thought about it, im going back to pet shop next sat to get out and inspect abit more just incase
Go to Top of Page

mkmattyk
banned

United Kingdom
837 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  07:57:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also a question that i forgot was, will the snake have future problems with shedding its skin, i know if it over 3ft long its not going to happen often but the few times it does wil it have probs
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:01:12  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It may happen more than yuo think to start with once on a proper diet, they start to loose weight kinda quickly and then it slows right down a few months after. Mine has no problems shedding now, he rips the shed skin but it all comes off fine. Although in the past when he was at his fattest, he would try and shed and everything would bunch up and form a tighingsh ring around the beginning of the fat bulges but he could still get it off, just took ages but good excercise though haha.

Go to Top of Page

Kez
Hatchling

United Kingdom
378 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  10:09:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's a good idea to go and handle/inspect snakey, Matt and maybe try to speak to the owner of the shop, or someone there who may have more idea of the history. Even if you are still sure you want to bring the little pudding home, at least you will have had the opportunity to see the temperament etc and feel the fatty bits *oooooherr missus*

0.0.1 - Chahoua - Chewie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: