Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  13:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Me and Ray have only had Pablo for about 6 weeks or so now but already I'm planning for what snake to have next! Addicted already

I've been looking at king snakes as I love the colour (or lack of!) of the mexican black kingsnake, and markings of other morphs. Ray is a little against a kingsnake as she's read stories of them being a bit temperamental and more prone to biting than corns.

I know a few people on here own kings as well as corns and wanted to know what the difference is (if any) between the two in terms of owning them from their own experience and what they prefer.

Opinions and feedback very welcome, cheers!

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  14:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a Mexican Black Kingsnake shes about 2. She hasnt been bitey in anyway the time that I have had her. However I did have an adult south florida king that was very tempremental. I had rehomed him for someone that couldnt keep him anymore. He ended up being rehomed to someone on the forum who takes in "Mental snakes" (their words lol) as my husband just couldnt put up with anymore from him (husband isnt a snake person at the best of times) and the children were scared of him.

I think if you get the snake young enough and they are then used to you and handling, things will be fine. I dont prefer either or... however my MBK is more active then the corns so you see her out alot. Another thing with her is that she has never missed a feed with me. She eats reguardless. Even when in blue.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  14:20:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would only wanna buy from a hatchling anyway so it gets used to us young and hopefully that would help prevent it being bad tempered.

Our Pablo eats fine too, again even when ready to shed so it would be nice to have an easy feeder although I do realise you'll never tell until you have it!

Hmmm just need to persuade Ray. It won't be for a couple of years anyway so I have enough time

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  15:42:49  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
GET A KINGY WINGY! DEY SO CUUUTE! XD

I have an adult Mexican Black kingsnake and he is soft as grease, I can stroke his head, tickle his chin and he's amazing to handle and loves to come out and have a nosey. He is a rehome, I am his 3rd owner and I got his as an adult. He is always active, even after a big meal and likes to trash his viv sometimes lol.I have been bitten once by him, my fault though as I fed him and then attempted to put him back in his viv straight away when I should have waited half an hour. At the moment he's being a bit funny with food, but he's still eating it just seems to take him like half an hour before he realises his dinner is sat right next to him! He used to strike and coil around his food and eat it so fast.

Corns can be temperamental too though and you should always be prepared to be bitten by any animal you own, weather it be corn, king or a dog! I don't really prefer any over the other since I have an adult corn who I see as much as the king, the only difference is that the corn is sleeping out in the open more than the king and the king, is re-arriging its viv. The only thing I can say is I wish I got a king sooner.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  15:48:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you would be seriously unlucky to find a kingsnake that is a fussy feeder. Its their willingness to feed first ask questions later that leads to most bites. Care wise, they are very similar, just dont mix the two together, 2 snakes WILL become one.
A common misconception is that corns musk, they dont, its plain old crap, kings on the other hand, have musk glands, which is completely different, and a whole new level of fun!!
My personal view is that kings arent really a good beginner snake, purely because they can be unpredictable, and each snake has a quite distinct personality and different behavioral habits. The other reason is that because the majority of bites are feeding bites, they tend to hang on, and removing them can be tricky, and it hurts!!!
That said, if you are selective, and dont just buy on impulse, you can find a snake that has a sensible temper, which i would highly recommend.
They habit of biting is the main reason i dont keep any, not for fear of being bitten, but the aggro of trying to get it to let go, try having a 5ft cali king attached to your knuckle!! I think so far i have had 6 different kings, out of all of them, i only had one that wasnt as bitey as the rest. The MBK i had was terrible for it, there was no malice, but everything that moved was considered food until proven otherwise, and she proved it by trying to eat it, i tried feeding her more to see if that would help, she had 9 large mice, and still she was looking for food, despite being able to roll side to side!!!!
Just be aware of everything before you rush out and buy one, on the flip side, the one i had was the opposite, he loved coming out, he recognised me which is almost unheard of in colubrids, and he never once bit me, even when feeding!!
Choosing the right one is rewarding, choosing the wrong one is painful and irritating.

Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  16:42:05  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One of my friends has a Cali Kingsnake. She says its friendly only to her, and tends to bite anything that isn't her! But then again, she has had it for several years, and is the only person who goes near it on a regular basis.

And Mike, I've never had a kingsnake, but I have had a Tokay gecko. I know how difficult it is to remove a tenacious reptile.
(quick tip, put them under a running tap!)

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  17:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your comments. It's definitely the biting I think Ray is worried about! I realise any snake will bite but kings seem to have a reputation for munching on us lot from time to time.

Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  21:20:06  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
how about a milksnake? They are in the same genus as kings and once mine (hondurans) got out of the bitey hatchling stage (which all species go through) they are both soft as anything and I've never been musked by them either (excepting a few times as bitey hatchies).

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  21:38:24  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
You could also get a corn/king hybrid :p or a milk as eeji has said as there are some gorgeous ones! Maybe you should pop over to thekingsnake forum :P I think it depend on the snake with the munching, I have seen plenty of hatching kings munching though and there bite feels the same as a corn, and when one of my adult corn bites as rare as it is, it really does latch!

Edited by - Sta~ple on 05/10/2011 21:40:12
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  09:04:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sta~ple

You could also get a corn/king hybrid :p or a milk as eeji has said as there are some gorgeous ones! Maybe you should pop over to thekingsnake forum :P I think it depend on the snake with the munching, I have seen plenty of hatching kings munching though and there bite feels the same as a corn, and when one of my adult corn bites as rare as it is, it really does latch!

Thats a fair point, i have metallics, durango mountain king x corn, they are soft as you like, lovely temper on them, still feed like kings though!

Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  09:07:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I've said, corns can bite too!

Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  09:51:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by huffy_86

That's what I've said, corns can bite too!

get a kingsnake, you will soon realise that a corn bite is a tickle compared to a hungry kingsnake.

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:32:45  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

Thats a fair point, i have metallics, durango mountain king x corn, they are soft as you like, lovely temper on them, still feed like kings though!

Were they the pretty looking ones that I thought look liked like okeetees with king shaped bodies?

Sudden bites feel the same to me although, I can't compared a king hanging to me. I can say though, kings seem more prone to biting themselves. One of my corns, the one that has bitten and hung onto me, has bitten herself a few times during feeding time and none of my other corns have bitten themselves that I know of but the king, does it every other feeding time specially when he falls from something or has just eaten or moves quickly but luckily he is always careful around me and doesnt bite evern if I stupidly haven't washed my hands after touching the corns.

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  12:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got my first kingsnake,a Mexican Black about a month ago. He's estimated at being around 4 years old.
After a week of owning him,I went to get him out of the viv and I don't mind admitting I nearly poo'd myself! He's a hell of a lot bigger than my other snakes. I stroked him and he hissed and struck at me while tail rattling,however I persisted and picked him up,he wrapped himself around my arm and I had my first experience of musk I was positive he'd bite me but he eventually calmed down and was great to handle. The next day he was the same,so I decided to leave him another week to settle.
I've got him out twice this week with only the smallest of hisses,absolutely chuffed to bits.....although I won't be letting my guard down.
He's a lot more active than my corns. Always out and about rearranging his viv,whether he's just fed or not,and is very nosey. I adore him and am now looking at other kings.

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  13:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Kings FTMFW!!

Yes kings do seem to have a bit of a reputation for being nibbly, but you only seem to hear to worst of most animals to be honest.
Even if it is, they do tend to grow out of it and it's usually only hatchies that are a bit more nibbly, and the bite doesn't really hurt much. Plus taking a tag from a king is much more manly (or womanly) than a pansy corn.
Have a looky on our sister site www.thekingsnake.co.uk and you'll see a fair amount of info regarding them.

I shall also echo what eeji said about milksnakes, you get some stunning coloured milksnakes.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

Raycheroo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uhhh no way mr!
I don't mind more corns or even a ball python but not a king!

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:37:57  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Raycheroo

Uhhh no way mr!

Kings are just hyper active corns though? I don't know where all this bs of them being evil, musking biters comes from :p You have to expect being biten by your snake at least once no matter what the snake is. I would rather be bitten by a king and let in hang on for a while than a royal as a royal is going to have a lot more force behind the bite!

Edited by - Sta~ple on 06/10/2011 14:39:47
Go to Top of Page

mikerichards
don't say the 'M' word!

United Kingdom
2901 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Uhhh no way mr!

Kings are just hyper active corns though? I don't know where all this bs of them being evil, musking biters comes from :p You have to expect being biten by your snake at least once no matter what the snake is. I would rather be bitten by a king and let in hang on for a while than a royal as a royal is going to have a lot more force behind the bite!

I think it comes from people who have been bitten and musked on, like me, and on occasion, both at the same time!

Having had quite a few, i know where it comes from! Where there is smoke there is generally fire. Whilst not all kings are the same, a lot tend to be biters, agreed, a lot dont either, it is not quite 6 one half dozen the other, but its not far off.

Go to Top of Page

Raycheroo
Hatchling

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  14:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Uhhh no way mr!

I expect to be bitten by pabs, and im under no assumption that corns cant bite aswell, i just really dont like the look of kings lol, and yes their reputation is a little off putting hehehe

Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  16:40:48  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mikerichards

quote:

quote:

Uhhh no way mr!

I think it comes from people who have been bitten and musked on, like me, and on occasion, both at the same time!

Having had quite a few, i know where it comes from! Where there is smoke there is generally fire. Whilst not all kings are the same, a lot tend to be biters, agreed, a lot dont either, it is not quite 6 one half dozen the other, but its not far off.

I still say lies and slander :p

Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  23:11:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here here!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic