Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  18:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess theres always that little voice in the back of your head that tells you that one day you will have an escapee on your hands

On Saturday night I must have left Shoezy's viv glass ajar, as on Sunday I got a call at work to say that the snake is missing. As I was the last one to see her and interact with her, it's the only possible solution I can think of to her escape.

I've turned each room inside out and I cannot find her! I've sat up listening and lost dozens of hours sleeping because I'm convinced I can hear her. But the noises turn out to be my neighbours or a mahoosive spider on a plastic bag.

I find it so frustrating that a 3ft snake can just disappear into thin air. Also kicking myself for being an idiot and being absent minded when I should ahve been careful.

Anybody got any suggestions to help me find her/ place a virtual bet on when she will show up? Not allowed to put flour down as we just got new carpets laid. Oh parents...

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
1.0.0 Normal Western Hognosed Snake
1.0.0 Albino California Kingsnake
1.1.0 Bearded Dragons (Wildtype, Hypo)
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  19:29:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hope you find him soon - there's been a lot found lately in shoes

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  19:37:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I keep checking any left around shoes for that very reason but to no joy as of yet :(

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  19:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh no ... the lady that used to have fluffy told me that he escaped once and she found him in a carrier bag under the stairs, also one one my dads corn escaped a while ago and he found her in the airing cupboard ... look in all the dark secluded places hope you find her soon

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier

Edited by - fluffycorn on 04/10/2011 19:49:26
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  19:59:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope so too. I ran my torch's battery down with looking in dark places. I think I'll re-check under my stairs tonight. Now that it's dark I'm listening out in a few of the bedrooms for her. All tips are greatly appreciated.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

johno
Egg

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  20:38:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tape some black bags down in the doorways and then put flower on lol then you can hoover it up before lifting the black bag ha, you gotta just rip your house to bits to find it start in one room (where the snake lives) and turn it upside down from floor to ceiling then keep the gap in the door blocked with something so it couldnt get in there and start on another room, place hides round the edges of your rooms and check regularly. ermmmm instead of flower how about laying magazines down in the doorways and laying string down? i guess the snake going over the string would kind of drag it? even if it only pulls it a few cm's u'll see which way it has pulled it. maybe a daft idea but dont see why it wouldnt work, obv youd have to put the string down straight so you could tell it had moved.
Go to Top of Page

fluffycorn
Yearling

United Kingdom
514 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  20:41:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good idea about placing hides everywhere ... there's a very good chance that you'll find her curled up in one, when i clean fluffy out he likes to wander off into his hide on the carpet

1.0.0 Amelanistic Corn Snake
0.1.0 Jack Russell Terrier
Go to Top of Page

ga-rat
Egg

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  21:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh no, how easy are your sofa's to get right inside.

0.1.0 Creamsicle Corn Snake = TANGEE

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  21:50:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you find her soon, a friend lost her corn a few years ago, she was sure he was in the same room, kept hot water bottles with cereal boxes, towels on and around them at the edge of the room, was either the heat or the darkness of them i dont know but she did get him back 2 nights later xxx

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  23:20:03  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So sorry to hear Shoezy has gone wandering, really hope you find her soon

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Okeetee Mick
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  23:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope she turns up soon

0.1.0 Okeetee (Sookie) 0.1.0 Powder (Luna) 0.1.0 Bloodred (Arlene) 0.1.0 Caramel Stripe (Tara)
0.1.0 Ghost (Crystal) 0.1.0 Caramel (Jessica) 0.1.0 Lavender Stripe (Portia) 1.0.0 Platinum (Godric)
0.1.0 Thayers King (Lettie Mae) 0.1.0 Albino Blairs King (Lorena) 0.1.0 Russian Ratsnakes (Pam)
0.1.0 Korean Ratsnake (Katerina) 1.0.0 Russian Ratsnake (Lafayette)
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2011 :  23:34:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our sofas are all sealed, no rips or tearing. Unfortunately, I have no idea if she is in the same room as her viv any more, as one of my family members is certain the door was left open the night of her escape.

We've discovered worrying holes leading into the walls in the front room, which we have blocked now. Also placed plastic bags around the skirting/ across the floor of bedrooms so if she crosses them in the night we'll wake up and hear her. My sister is very blarzé and has constantly left doors open, so Shoezy could have silently slithered from room to room.

She is 99% of the time nocturnal, and begins to move about her viv about 9.00pm +. Outside of her viv with a lot more freedom I don't know if she'll keep to this timing to be active. I think it may just be a case of routinely checking possible places to hide and wait to cross her path.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

DJRenegade
Egg

United Kingdom
80 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  00:21:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rather than blocking the holes in the living room (and maybe trapping her in the wall) couldnt you make some sort of "one way" device? staple some card to the wall so if the snake is in the wall it can get back out but not go into the wall? after you find your snakey you could then just blob a bit of paint on the lil holes and voila back to normal

I like the string idea!! ive attached stiff breeze blocking things to the bottom of my door (like long thin brushes) so if my snake escapes he wont get out of the room!

Shame your parents wont let you use flour, it would be the first thing i did lol!

Hope you find her soon!

1.0.0 Corn
0.1.0 Boa
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  12:46:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've done the blockages so that she can slide out but not slide back in. I put some of her greenary in the room she escaped in last night in a pile and when we investigated this morning, it's moved a little, like she's knocked some over. It's a promising yet subtle sign that she is still in that room. Going to place her heat matt in the same corner today with some newspaper and her hide over it, see if draws her attention.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

huffy_86
Hatchling

United Kingdom
113 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  13:13:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear, hope you find her soon

James aka Huffy, Leighton Buzzard.
Go to Top of Page

viraleye
Yearling

United Kingdom
695 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  19:28:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
don't know if you.could try this, but maybe leave a camera/phone/camcorder on record when you go to sleep and check it the following morning? you might see which way it went?

1.0.0 Cyrus - Amel het Anery ph Hypo - CURRENTLY AWOL
0.1.0 Diamond - Avalanche ph Charcoal, Hypo
1.0.0 Garland - Bloodred het Hypo
1.0.0 Pinball - Carolina
0.1.0 Casey - Hypo Lavender Stripe het Amel
0.0.1 - No Name Yet - Crested Gecko
Go to Top of Page

ScalySituation
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5292 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  19:29:30  Show Profile  Visit ScalySituation's Homepage  Click to see ScalySituation's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
any luck yet?

1.0.0 Butter motley corn (Sheldon)
0.1.0 Caramel Corn (Maggie)
0.1.0 Caramel motley corn (Echo)
1.0.0 Cat (Angus)
1 mealworm colony
RIP Skye x
Sleep well Sonny, Mummy loves you xx
Go to Top of Page

Emmy1
Yearling

707 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2011 :  22:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats a cool idea viraleye but unfortunetly I don't have a recorder.

No luck yet. I've tried the staying awake in the dark to hear her/ locate her but to no avail. I've left her heat mat out in the room she escaped in, put newspaper and her hide over it and a water dish besides it, so if she is in that room she may be inticed to drink and hide somewhere warm and familiar. If she fails to show up in that room, I'll try every room in the house for a 24 hour period each.

I hope she turns up by next friday, as we have a carpet being laid.

0.1.0 Anery Corn Snake
0.0.3 Shubunkin Goldfish
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  01:54:53  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope she turns up soon.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

tk72
Hatchling

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  16:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a bit sneaky but wait till everyone in bed then put flour down. Then get up early and hoover it up. And do hope you find Shoezy.
Go to Top of Page

EmSquem
Yearling

United Kingdom
525 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2011 :  17:53:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had 2 escapees, both of which I managed to find within 24 hours. They turned up in the most unexpected places! I would suggest putting flour along doorways so you can see the slither-marks, so you at least know what room he's in . . . they can get almost anywhere, my hatchie managed to get downstairs, the little bugger!

1.2.0 corns (Star, Eddie and Scarlet)
1.0.0 Sinaloan milk snake (Harry)
1.1.0 Black Labrador (Berry and Buddy)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000