Really Annoyed With Pet Shop
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  05:04:36  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I got Bradley, my caramel motley, earlier this month. He hatched July 2010 and was bred by someone who works in the pet shop. He's a tiny looking wee thing so I was really surprised when the breeder told me he was fed every 7 days on a medium/large mouse and had always been a great feeder. I picked him up later that week and was told he had been fed the day before. When I saw him I couldn't believe the size of the feeding bump on him, I'd never seen anything like it. Needless to say I wasn't at all surprised when I got up the next morning to find he had regurgitated a very large completely undigested mouse.

I left him 10 days (added some Reptoboost to his water) and before feeding him I weighed and measured him. He was 2'2" and only 40g. Here's a pic.

I fed him a small mouse which he took and digested without a problem. 6 days later I weighed him before feeding again and he was 45g. I weighed a couple of days ago, again after 6 days and he is now 50g.

If he has put on 10g in the space of 12 days and being fed 2 small mice with me, he obviously doesn't have any problems putting on weight. So if they had been feeding him a medium/large mouse weekly than why was he only 40g at 15mths!

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  07:46:26  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Chances are he prob regurged a few of the other larger mice he was being fed before you got him. so not keeping it down slows its growth I guess. It could have been a slow/poor feeder when it was a hatchie? I'm only guessing here.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  09:54:45  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
medium/large mice seem like they will be too big for him by the looks of your photo. I would try small mice or even fluffs.

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  11:31:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may have been the move 1 day after feeding that is the likely cause of regurge.

The size of mouse does sound a bit big though, at that size I'm pretty sure Spot was on fluffs.

On the weighing side, take it as a guide only, the first time you weighed was after a regurge and so its quite possible that the snakes digestive system was empty, after 2 feeds 6 days apart the gut would have still been digesting some/most of the contents so you're weighing that too. Weighing is a guide only, when Spot was tiny his weight would move up and down due to stomach contents but as a trend it was moving upward.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2011 :  13:03:41  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
as lota says the move to a new house could be the cause and, playing devils advocate a little, one man's medium mouse is another mans small......

prolly just inaccurate records at the petshop though, not that that helps the purchasers!!

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  10:37:31  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At least we can be sure little Bradley has a good home now

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

Hissyfit
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2214 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2011 :  10:44:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He's a tiny little thing, and really cute Voldemort is Aug 10 hatched, and 100g heavier! As Garrie said, at least he's now in a good home

Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  21:06:41  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to this thread, my internet died just after I posted it and I've only just got it working again.

The guy who bred him was absolutely positive that he was being fed a medium/large mouse every 7 days and had never had any problems feeding. The mouse he regurgitated was at least a large. My amel is on mediums and it was double the size of them. I'm feeding him very small mice (6-8g) which leave a good size feeding bump, so I wouldn't give him anything bigger than that.

It's difficult to tell from the photo, but he is underweight, much more v-shaped in cross section than the loaf shape he should be. He's coming on really well though. I weighed him again tonight before feeding and he is now 56g. He even struck and constricted his mouse for the first time. :-D

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

Dancross0
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1315 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2011 :  21:34:33  Show Profile  Visit Dancross0's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good to hear he's getting better care with you. He's a lovely looking little fella!

Aguna CB11 Anery - Typhon CB12 Amber - Plissken CB08 Carolina - Iara CB11 Caramel

Indra CB12 Lavender (?) - Evren CB12 Carolina (?) - Ophis CB11 Hypo Lavender - Sirae CB11 Ghost Motley

Go to Top of Page

nusnakemum
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1612 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2011 :  09:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank goodness he,s got you to treat him right !

0.0.1 corn Ernest
0.1.0 leopard gecko Mrs T
1.0.0 anery Black Eyed Bill RIP Bill x
2.0.0 kids
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000