Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  21:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey guys, I have just got my first corn snake, about 20 mins ago, and thought I would join the forum. I have been reading a lot of the information in the forums and site and thank god its there! lol, just a tad worried that my heat mat aint strong enough. its a 6 by 11 7 WATT. i turned it on before dinner at like 5.30 ish in preparation for the corn later that evening, and the temp at the warm side isnt as high as i would have liked :(, i have spoken to the guy i am getting the corn from, and he says as long as you can feel a difference in temp the corn snake will do the rest and regulate his own body temp. i was just wondering should i get a higher WATT, cause my thinkin would be the higher the WATT the greater the temperature range, or am i completely wrong! lol

cheers

Bob

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome

Have you got a thermostat for your heatmat, if not turn the mat off until you get one. The snake will be fine at this time of year so long as it hasn't fed within the last 48 hrs. The stat will control the mat temperatures. Also what are you measuring temps with, do you have a digital thermometer, the dial ones only really measure the ambient air temperature. If you could give us a few more details re your set up - e.g. current temps in warm and cool end, substrate used, is it a faunarium or RUB (really useful box) or wooden/glass viv. How old is your new addition etc.

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:12:47  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^^ What tordyjo said.

And welcome. Be warned. It gets addictive...

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nah dont have a thermostat :(, temp being measured with those stick on the wall thermometer thingys, (round dial things), using aspen substrate, and a glass fronted sliding door viv, (2ft), hmmmm cool end at 20 odd degrees warm end at the same :(, i thought there would have been some change though. the snake at the moment is lying along the viv door, (dunno what he's doing) lol, just dont want it to be too cool :(

or maybe im just over thinking it. the guy i got him from breeds the snakes and has plenty more snakes of all kinds, from boa's to hog noses, he said its fine, as long as u can feel a temp difference, but the dial thermometer isnt picking up a change in air temp. :(

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:20:21  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
a mat will not change the air temprature, you need a thermometer with a probe along with a thermostat, if you are setting it up with the snake in, take the snake out for a while and place the heat mat on the bottom and secure it with sellotape, connect the mat and tape both probes (the thermometer and the thermostat) to the mat, turn it quite low and let it settle, if your not at your desired temp, raise it, keep doing this untill your at around 28-30 celcius, btw the link below is a very good site ;)

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

ptmbradley
Yearling

United Kingdom
676 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:21:41  Show Profile  Visit ptmbradley's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Read this helpful thread: http://www.thecornsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9878

You need to get a digital thermometer placed on the heatmat. Dial/strip thermometers are next to useless. And you definitely need a thermostat.

Just read that link and you'll figure it all out. It's based on a faunarium and you got a viv, but the same principles all apply. Good luck.

Corns: 1.1 Anery, 1.1 Butter, 1.0 Carolina, 0.1 Hypo, 1.1 Snow, 1.0 Sunkissed
Boas: 0.1 Arabesque, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow, 0.1 Crawl Cay, 1.1 Hogg Island X, 0.1 Hypo Hogg, 0.1 Kahl Albino (poss coral)

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:25:42  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
ptm bradley, why does it seem like just me and you on the forum at the moment, everyone else has vanished

Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, cheers, so should i turn the mat of at the moment, and order a thermostat now? should i get a habistat mat stat or habistat temp thermastat?, there is £5 difference lol,

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
mat stat

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:31:28  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
im pretty sure your wattage is too low for a temp stat anyway

Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:31:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, :), and all the wiring instructions come with the thermostat? and i need a digital thermometer also?, sp tape the probe from the thermostat and the thermometer to the heat mat, but then how is the heat mat attached to the mats power supply, lol my brain aint working this evening lol soz guys.

Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:34:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
please turn your mat off until you have a stat, i've seen some nasty pics of burnt snakies where the mats have gotten too hot and burnt them, your's is probably staying by the door because its cooler. I personally wouldn't use sellotape to stick down a mat, if the tape comes up and the snake brushes against it the tape can damage the snakes scales, you'd be better off using the snakes hide to hold the mat, thermometer and thermostat probes down, no risk to your snake then, once he's settled don't forget to show him off with some pics

ok so i've typed this took a break and came back to realise i've missed a whole chunk of conversation, pleased you're going to get a stat

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Edited by - tordyjo on 26/08/2011 22:35:37
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:35:11  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
the heat mat plugs into the thermostat and the thermostat plugs into the wall, once you order ill send you a big list of instructions how to set it up step by step :)

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i also agree with the hide tip, but from a personal point of view ive never had any problem with sellotape aslong as it is very secure, maybe slightly different with small corns as they have more of a burrowing instinct

Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, so if i order the stat now, and turn my heat mat off, with the corn be ok, till the stat comes, or should i order it 1st class, and not free P&P? 2-3 business days?

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
it will be fine, where are you ordering from?

Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:47:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
live in northern ireland, ordering from amazon just....is that ok?

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yeah jw, wa just guna say have a look on my site, ill be cheaper than amazon

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:52:28  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
As long as you don't feed your snake he will be fine with the heatmat turned off. Much better than risking burns or neurological damage from a hot mat.

I would never use any kind of tape in my snakes tank. Any avoidable risk is not a risk worth taking in my book. I have used tape to stick a mat to the underside of a faun but never within a viv.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:57:06  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
also karen did you get my e-mail?

Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  22:58:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just one thing to add, Please don't use any selotape anywhere you snake will be, tape and snakes don't mix and can really harm your snake. Ifv they get caught on it it can really damage their skin, scales or tongue. There are much better and safer ways to secure a mat, the easiest been something heavy. I use a glue gun, its quick, easy and non toxic (and as a bonus can be picked off if needs be).

Where about in NI are you, I'm Belfast, if you need any tips on where to go for things I may be able to help, though to be honest stats etc are always cheaper online.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000