Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im in limavady :) not too far away from you!, ive just stuck my hand onto the hot end and it doesnt seem to be extremely hot, just warm...well warmer that the cooler end at any rate lol. still turn it off, and order online.

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:06:32  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes, the mat will heat up and heat up and just keep going, the results can be disastrous, for the sake of around £30 it really is not worth it mate

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:14:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This time of year as long as the corn snake isn't digesting it will be fine at room temperature, its a far safer (and cheaper, only 1 rep vet i know of in Northern Ireland) option than burning the snake's belly.

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Bob101
Egg

United Kingdom
74 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok, the mat is now off, and im ordering the stat now. :), might get mum to knit him a jumper lol, keep him warm till the stat arrives!!

Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i believe there is a sticky somewhere named "why a thermostat must be used" with some pictures of a royal, the stat is essential, in no circumstances should a stat not be used, one rep vet in NI, the fees will be extortionate and for the sake of £30 and possibly the future of your snake you can save yourself and the snake so much stress

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:34:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to add to the tape thing. Please....dont! My corn snake has a defect (like a twist) on her because her previous owner had duct tape in there with her, it stuck to her. They left it on instead of seeking medical advice from a vet and its caused the problem she has which is noticeable and causes problems with her eating. Sorry, some ppl dont mind tape. But seeing what its done to her, i dont like it.

Also, i got her without a working thermostat (wasnt told it was broken) so turned off heat mat until i got my thermostat and she was fine. Just couldnt feed her. I paid £31 for a thermostat from ebay (its a lucky reptile one not habistat tho) and its a god-send! Its got a thermometer on it, also have 2 digital thermometers in the Viv and a dial one just to check ambient temps regularly. (im a very protective mother)

The state her viv was in when i got it, made me sad. No light guard, bulb was roasting hot!! Iv now basically ripped it out and am replacing with LEDs because they dont heat up and she cant get to them.

Hope you get it all sorted soon and congrats!!! xx

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:55:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi and welcome, hope you get sorted soon! but you really couldnt be in a better and more friendly place

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  23:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, tape is a bugger. Found some not-so-sticky sticky tape on the underside of the heatmat I was given with my largest corn, with a few of her scales attached to it :/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000