Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  22:07:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I've noticed something locally and was wondering if anyone has ever had trouble selling/finding homes for their hatchlings?

I ask because around me all that u can buy from rep shops is amels, Carolina, snows and anery and u can pay between £25-£60 for these but local ad sites have the same kinds for around £10-£15 and seem to struggle to sell them, seems crazy to me lol but it is something I'd like to try in a few years but not with these morphs

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  23:23:49  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
blimey if there were anerys and snows nr me going for 10-15 quid id be snapping em up lol

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Diesel1994
Hatchling

United Kingdom
338 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  23:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Diesel1994's Homepage  Click to see Diesel1994's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i have never really found any problem selling them

Owner of Renza Exotics - www.renzapets.co.uk
For all your Exotic & Domestic pet needs
Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  23:53:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lol I've seen anerys for 15 think there's a ad on here for them? One site has amel and normals at £10 each or two for £15 couldn't believe it tbh lol
Go to Top of Page

Kehhlyr
ǝʞɐɔ sǝʌoן

United Kingdom
8173 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2011 :  23:56:34  Show Profile  Visit Kehhlyr's Homepage  Click to see Kehhlyr's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's because breeding is a massive gamble really.
You might be lucky and be the only person in 20 miles that's bred corns, so will be able to sell them easily. However if 20 people in the same 20 miles breed corns, then each would have to drop their prices so low that they will be able to sell them or risk being stuck with them.
Many reptile shops are the same, or offer a pittance for each corn. I'm aware of a shop that was buying in corns at £3.50 each from breeders last year simply because they didn't really want them either, but the breeders wanted shot of them.

-=Kehhlyr - The Resident Loon

Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  00:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I only who'd check first lol?

Since we lost our corn Austin a couple of weeks ago the only snake we have is my wifes boa but my shopping list for this/next year is - butter motley and stripe, white out and blizzard just because they are all stunning snakes in my opinion not sure if I'd breed them but no way I'd do it if I thought I would have to practically give them away to a shop
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  00:18:58  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
There doesnt seem to be much breeding going on down here in the south west area where i am the closest to me is either wales or bournemouth i think my plan is to keep corns for a bit see how i get along with them get confident with snake husbandry and rep care then once the training wheels are off maybe try something a lil more complicated eg breeding then if im lucky enough to hatch any babys sell them and buy some diffrent snakes lol a couple years away from that right now though lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Sta~ple
qeeun speler

United Kingdom
6129 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  10:09:07  Show Profile  Click to see Sta~ple's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It's because the world and his doig can breed cornsnakes because they don't need any help. I was selling normals for £5 one year, because people trusted the sdumb ass petshops more there and the petshop did not wnat normals at all, I had to beg. People wnat spangly morphs and newbs often think that there amle plus a snow will for some reason make a very pale otrange snake and when they hatch, theres normals. I love normals, I think everyone should have at least one but it's just how the world works lol.

A very special super, duper thanks for K :3
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  10:12:44  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I much prefer normals to some fancy morphs. I think my next (if and when i have space) will be an Okeetee.

I guess they sell them cheap too because if a petshop buys them they have to fund the time its sat in store eating food and absorbing their electricity. So they double the price to cover costs etc its effectivley their profit margain.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  10:18:48  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ive bred fish in the past to sell to pet stores Dwarf cichlids and Bristlenose plecs and Angels that kinda thing ..easy stuff lol for the plecs id have been given 1 pound each store credit (much less for the other fish) once they reached an inch in size the shop would then sell them on for over a tenner a pop i reckon thats a pretty healthy profit margin lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  10:23:54  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I imagine it would be quite small if they had to keep it for a while, there's feeding, electricity and staff care for the tanks etc.

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  12:51:15  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guess theres a lot of overheads yes but even so im sure theyre doubling theyre money at least after all i only got store credit lol (which i always spent on more fish!) and as for the things like Angels,Cichlids your lucky to get anything at all i never bred them on purpose they just seemed to like my water lol after a while though it got silly especially after i rescued some convict cichlids theyre prolific breeders and were producing 200 fry a month argh you cannot give them away and theyre super agressive
Ultimately i guess its the shops that really make the money not the breeders unless they do it on a large scale and have rare interesting morphs

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  15:13:19  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My original plan was to get a female to put with my male amel. I was going to get a female snow possibly even a motley so that i could see if he possibly had any anery or motley in him. I decided against it as there are far too many amels in the shops and up for sale on preloved. And as much as I love amels, I don't really want to be left with loads of them.
I am still going to go ahead with breeding my butter motleys next year as they are guaranteed to produce butter motley babies and I haven't seen many of them for sale around here.

I think the problem is that people breed without really thinking about what is going to happen to all the babies, whatever they may be.

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Anastasia
Snake Mite

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  15:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I paid £40 for my normal from a pet shop about 2 weeks ago. I looked at loads of breeder sites online, and saw some beautiful snakes.. but as a first time owner I really wanted the chance to see and hold my snake before buying. There were no local breeders in Edinburgh that I could find, and I doubt a breeder would accept returns via a courier for a refund.. So local shops do cater for the excitement, impatience and insecurities of a new owner.
Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  16:28:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've bred cichlids by accident before lol but had no trouble getting rid as it turned out they were a rare species I got lucky with and bought as fry, got some frontosa giving it a good go now as well lol

Guess before I try breeding snakes I'll have to ask a few questions first, our boa is het for stripe and reverse stripe so was thinking of getting her a stripe mate next year but that will need serious thought as 30 baby boas will probably be harder to rehome
Go to Top of Page

Spreebok
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1135 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  18:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shop prices do vary greatly. My local sells Carolinas for £25, amels and such are usually about £60.
I wouldn't pay £60 for an amel normally, but I paid it for my Psiren, as it was one of those fall in love moments :>
Go to Top of Page

eeji
The Morph Master

United Kingdom
4335 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2011 :  19:32:22  Show Profile  Visit eeji's Homepage  Reply with Quote
last year I found it extremely difficult to sell stuff and at the end was selling amels and snows for a tenner each. Thats the reason theres only been a few matings here this year so I'm not still selling 'hatchlings' next February

Forum - Guide to Cornsnake Morphs - Punnett Square Calculator - Breeder Directory
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  00:22:47  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DTW i love frontosa !! beautifull havent got any myself though have got some red hump geophagus about to spawn again though
Its such a shame theres not so many breeders local to me here but i reckon if i moved so would the breeders haha

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  01:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We only have one decent shop here for cichlids but the guy who runs it is brilliant, I can spend hours in there lol I doubt my fronts will produce any fry she usually spits her eggs after a few days but if she does your welcome to them ( don't know where u are lol so maybe not worth it )
Go to Top of Page

stuart619
Hatchling

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  13:34:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it worry anyone else that at such a low price, SOME breeders might be selling them to the wrong people.

I am sure that there are responsible breeders who do ensure the buyer has the correct setup but I would also bet that there are some who will just be happy to get the cash.

Maybe the corn market is starting to become too saturated. It is the same with beardies too.

Go to Top of Page

DTW
Hatchling

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2011 :  15:31:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certain areas are definitely becoming saturated like the market for carolinas and amels, ppl see them in shops for £40-£60 and just assume they could sell them for similar prices but then other areas are practically non existent around me Lol I asked about butters and a few other morphs in a local shop and they didn't have a clue if they could even get hold of any, no market for the more exspensive stuff apparently but I can't believe that.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000