A small step forward
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  23:05:34  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
It has only taken 18 months but this weekend, one of my best friends has finally been in the same room as me while I was holding a snake. She has always been petrified of snakes and usually wont even go into the same room as the vivs. If she couldn't avoid it she would make sure she couldn't see the vivs at any time. I have never pushed her to look at them and have never normally had them out while she was around. However this weekend one of her daughters wanted to see the snakes as she never seen them out of the vivs or touched them before.

I was just showing her daughter Mr Hoggie when my friend came and stood in the doorway and watched. She said she felt ok as it was only little and wasn't moving much. Mr Hoggie usually just sits in my hand and watches the world go by when I have him out. I was really impressed with her that she managed to be in the same room as one of the snakes and watching it even if it was only the doorway.

Then as I was happy that she had managed to overcome her fear to do that, she said she wanted to watch them be fed as well. I think she was incredibly brave as I feed my big ones on a sheet on the floor and she was sat barely 2 meters away.

So I want to say a big WELL DONE to my friend Julie and let everyone know that sometimes patience really does win out

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk

lotabob
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4334 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  23:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Julie! Potential there for another snake lover in maybe 1 or 20 years

Anery Corn snake SPOT. Royal Python, DUKE. Hogg Island Boa, SANKE. Albino House Snake, HAL.
Harlequin Crested Gecko HARLEY
Albino Horned Frog WAKA
Chilean Rose Tarantula TRIXIE. Brazilian Salmon Pink Bird-eating Tarantula SAM. Orange Baboon Tarantula BORIS.
Giant Asian Forest Scorpion, SALLY.
Giant African Land Snails, SHELDON & MICHELLE.
Budwing Mantis, MAIA
Dubia Roach Colony. Silkworm Colony. Mealworm Colony. Waxworm Colony. Fruit Beetle Colony.

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL http://www.youtube.com/user/alocheeky
Go to Top of Page

Mamma
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
4494 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  23:17:21  Show Profile  Visit Mamma's Homepage  Reply with Quote
fabulous!! xxx

Please feel free to add my photography page on facebook .... or check me out on deviantart :
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MaliskaRodgersPhotography/
http://maliskarodgers.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

thistle
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1757 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  23:36:52  Show Profile  Visit thistle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
That's great. I wish my mum would be that brave.

2.0.0 Dogs (westie Angus, shih tzu Archie)
0.5.0 African Pygmy Hedgehogs (Harriet, Amelia, Matilda, Jemima, Maisie) RIP Hector
0.4.0 Guinea Pigs (Isobel, Effy, Mrs Mack & Sheila)
1.0.0 Lutino C0ckatiel (Sammy)
3.0.0 Corn Snakes - CB10 Amel (Barnaby), CB11 Anery Lavender (Bailey), CB10 Caramel Motley (Bradley)
0.1.0 CB11 Western Hognose Snake (Maggie)
Go to Top of Page

garrie
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1148 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  23:46:53  Show Profile  Visit garrie's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well done Julie! Also, well done kdlang for persevering, you have given me a little more hope over a couple of nervous friends that I'm working on ;-)

^click for more pics^
Garrie - Halesworth, Suffolk. 1.0 AURYN (fire morph corn) 0.1 Puzzle (Cat)
Go to Top of Page

scottishbluebird
it is all my fault

United Kingdom
8403 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  01:31:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it is great when that happens,well done Julie!!

0.1.0 Corn - Kellogs
1.0.0 Hognose - Storm
0.1.0 Staffy - Lyla
1.0.0 Spaffy(staffy x springer)-Spyro
1.0.0 Ferret - Peanut R.I.P
0.1.0 Crestie - Fudge. Wish List - Pygmy hedgehog. Tropiocolotes
Go to Top of Page

tordyjo
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2036 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:36:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well done Julie, how very brave

LillyCrystalHarry
1.2.0 corns, 1.1.0 cats tropical guppies who continually breed

Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  09:49:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done Julie,you should be proud of yourself!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:39:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yay
thats great news! Well done Julie!

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

Aegis
Hatchling

United Kingdom
282 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  14:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done :o) Big achievement there! I have a friend who is petrified to even look at pictures of snakes, he wants my help so he can be able to just be in the same house as one! Baby steps....

4.0.0 Kids (Hugh, Seamus, Athrun + JD)
1.0.0 Gingy cat (Fintan Stack)
0.1.0 Snow Corn (Karuza)

Go to Top of Page

kdlang
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
3556 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  16:07:53  Show Profile  Click to see kdlang's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
My tips for anyone with scared friends is just to let them take it at whatever pace they want but don't hide the snakes away. I didn't force them on Julie but if I had one out when she came round then she could either come in the same room or talk to me through the walls. Same as she could choose to come in the room with the tanks or not to. I never actually thought I would see the day when she would be in the same room as one of them especially as I didn't have hold of it while it was on the floor. Curiosity won out in the end

4.1.0 corns - Izzy (Carolina) Alice (Amel) Peanut (Butter Motley) Swayze (Ghost) Carmellia (Butter Motley)
0.1.0 cat - Kizzy
1.0.0 Dog - Dobbie
Location - Chesterfield, Derbyshire

www.support-dogs.org.uk
Go to Top of Page

Bethm01
Egg

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  16:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well done, Julie!
I can't even IMAGINE not being scared of needles, as I have a phobia... for her to stand there is a huge achievement!

Well done to you too Kdlang, for being persistent and patient!
Go to Top of Page

Corrah
Hatchling

United Kingdom
154 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  20:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fantastic to hear. It is definately curiosity that gets the better of folks. I've managed to hold a tarantula twice now, but I'm still not too keen on them, but I totally freak out with house spiders. They are so ugly!

Very well done Julie :)

1.1.3 Corn Snakes (Altivo, Millie, Peggy, Al & Fraggle)
2.1.0 Cats (Merlin, Floyd & Poppy)
Go to Top of Page

Mort13
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
5599 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Corrah

That's fantastic to hear. It is definately curiosity that gets the better of folks. I've managed to hold a tarantula twice now, but I'm still not too keen on them, but I totally freak out with house spiders. They are so ugly!

Very well done Julie :)

Lol,glad its not just me. I've held a tarantula on a few occasions,but I still lose the plot completely over any spiders in the house.....by that I mean anything over 5mm!!

3.1.0 Corn snakes, 1.0.0 T-Albino Cape House Snake, 0.1.0 Western Hognose,
1.0.0 MBK, 0.1.0 Childrens Python, 1.0.0 Nicaraguan Dwarf Boas
0.0.1 Occelated Skink, 1.0.0 Leopard Gecko, 1.0.3 Tarantulas, 0.0.2 Damon diadema
1.0.0 C0ckatiel,

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000