Updatemore questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  15:52:12  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi guys many thanks again for everyones warm welcomes and well wishes ive now purchased my heat mat and 2x digital thermometers for each end of the viv
only thing i need is a RUB (see im learning the lingo already) to put inside the viv as thats what ive been told to do and then place the rub inside the viv

I still need a thermostat though. I popped into our local aqautic/reptile shop today to see about putting a deposit down on a snake but unfortunately theyd sold the last 2 corns a few days ago so theyl call me when they get some in i have a very good close relationship with the shop all my aqautics supplies and fish have mostly come from them so i trust them implicitly ive told them my budget is up to £50 for a hatchling is this a fair budget ?
all they had in stock was an adult female Boa (common) for £75 or a pretty stunning juvenile "chihuahua" kingsnake for £150 much as i liked them they were the wrong size wrong price and wrong snakes unfortunately

As for the thermostat im completely out of my depth here dont know what i need or how much it should cost the shop today told me they could get me a habistat for about £30 i want good equipment obviously but i also dont wanna get ripped off for any input you can give me would be much appreciated

Im really eager to get everything setup and unlike my fish tanks which can takes months to prepare before i can add any fish i can add my snake straight away (which to be honest is part of the appeal lol)

Have i missed anything (i have hides and a water bowl and plan to use kitchen roll as a substrate initally)

Many thanks in advance guys

6.8.0 Corn Snakes http://buzzsprehistoricpets.yolasite.com/
1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake

Simmy_82
Sub Adult

United Kingdom
1272 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  15:57:43  Show Profile  Click to see Simmy_82's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Thermostat - I bought one for £20 fro Surrey Pet Supplies online site. Its was a HabiStat Mat Stat. Tho you can pick them up from ebay for a similar price. They'll do Heat Mats upto 100W so pretty much most i have seen.

I had my Viv/Faun set up about 2days before i added the snake. Mainly so that i could get the temp correct as the Stat isnt always accurate, hence the need for digital thermometers.

As for a snake budget. £50 is good, depending on what morph you are after. I got my Carolina Corn Snake on Sunday and paid £29.99 obviously the rarer the morph the higher the price etc.

Hope this helps

0.1.0 - Cat - Tallulah
0.0.1 - Carolina Corn Snake - Lilith
Go to Top of Page

Vixyg
Hatchling

United Kingdom
259 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  15:59:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can get a good stat online for around £20, i use microclimate ministat 100's in both my vivs and they work fine. The other popular one are the habistat mat stats which you can also get online very reasonably.

0.1.0 miami corn (Chilli)
1.0.0 snow corn (Charlie)
1.0.0 cat (Sprout)
1.0.0 fiance (Matt)
1.0.0 Offspring (Jordan)
Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:01:59  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys simmy im not too worried about the morph i havent seen any that i didnt like theres just those that i like more than others lol i love the lavenders butterscotchs motleys and okeetees but like i said im not too fussy i just want my snake now really appreciate the info on the thermostats guys its been a real issue for me

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

HannahB
The Corn Snake Moderator

United Kingdom
5491 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:11:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you can get some lovely colour morphs (i know you said you aren't that bothered about morphs!) for £50 from a breeder, I got Mont my normal for £15 from a breeder and the shop i go to down here in london tends to sell them for about £30-£35 which for a normal in my eyes is expensive..

a juvie chihauhaun mountain king snake? was it female?? I've got a male and have yet to see another one for sale.. but I wouldn't pay that - I paid £75 for mine when he was 3.. they are stunning and if you ever do decide to get another snake I'd totally recommend them - kings do have a reputation but mine has never struck at me or been nasty.. he's just like a corn except on speed haha

2.0 Normal Royal Pythons - Q and Little One
1.0 Chihauhaun Mountain Kingsnake - Simba

Go to Top of Page

paulie78
Fully Grown Corn

United Kingdom
2331 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:19:38  Show Profile  Visit paulie78's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hannah sorry i didnt ask the sex was a very lovely looking snake i admit but we had a kingsnake before and it was quite agressive (though we blamed this on the "aqautics superstore" he came from not handling him at all and just throwing his food in his viv come feeding day) as much as im not bothered about the morph im sure 6 months down the line knowing me ill be buying more once i have grown to know a bit more about them ..bit like my fish really i started with one tank keeping the boring everyday fish now i have 4 tanks of interesting oddballs lol

1.1.0 Royal
0.2.0 Chinchillas
1.1.0 Cats
1.1.0 Birds
0.0.2 Fishtanks
0.0.1 Cali Kingsnake
Go to Top of Page

gingerpony
Queen Bee

United Kingdom
10455 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  18:58:22  Show Profile  Click to see gingerpony's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
habistat matstats and microclimate ministat are basic and do the job just fime for corns

to maintain a much more accurate temperature you can get pulse stats and dimmer stats, some come with (or you can buy if the stat has the facility to run it) a 'magic eye' that detects daylight and can be set to have a night-time temp drop

obviously the better/more accurate the stat the higher the price, but for an on/off type such as the matstat/ministat i'd expect to pay about £20-30

cornsnakes, ratsnakes, bullsnakes, boas and day geckos

Go to Top of Page

tarotpodge
Hatchling

433 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  21:45:16  Show Profile  Click to see tarotpodge's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HannahB

I got Mont my normal for £15 from a breeder and the shop i go to down here in london tends to sell them for about £30-£35 which for a normal in my eyes is expensive..

A shop down here is asking £49 for normals, and £49 for amels.

2.0.3 Corns, Creamsicle(Phoenix), Ghost motley(Savanna), 2x carolina(Indiana+Severus), Amel stripe (Frazzle).
0.3.0 Dogs, Shar pei cross, Staff and Dalmation 0.3.0 Cats 2.0.0 Chinchillas 7.11.23 Tropical fish 1.0.0 Iguana
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Corn Snake Forum © 2000-11 thecornsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000